Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Accommodate ANOTHER Schedule Change? (Sorry So Long)
wdmmom 11:09 AM 01-27-2012
I've had DCB (almost 3 1/2) since he was 9 months old. This family is one of the first I still have left from the very beginning of doing daycare.

These parents were the most fabulous people to work for up until the past few months.

October - DCM and DCD go to Florida for a week. DCB was left in daycare for 10-11 hours a day to which I accommodated because she told me about a month ahead of time that they would need some flexibility since the grandma and aunt were helping out.

November - DCM found out she was pregnant and immediately began wanted to start discussing rates, schedule changes etc. I told her at that point there were just too many variables to take into consideration. She then asked what the cost would be if both boys only came 2 days a week. I told her the rate. (Keep in mind that I never said I would do 2 days a week...which I won't because my minimum is 3 and there is no way I will care for a newborn that isn't full time. The adjustment time is way too long and hard.)

DCD also started a new job and DCM said that they might need an earlier drop off time.

For the first week, DCB came in at 720am. (About 10 minutes before I open and about 20 minutes before my 1st child usually arrives.) Thereafter, the drop off time went back to 730am to 740am.

December - While I've always gotten a nice Christmas bonus from this family, this year I got a big fat NOTHING! They kept telling me they had something for me at home and kept forgetting it. Yeah, right. Mind you, because they were my favorite, I spent almost $30 on their child's gift while I spent about $7 on the others. So I kind of feel like I got ripped off.

I also took off the week from Christmas to New Years. I sent out notice back in August so parents had plenty of time to make arrangements. This family showed up at my home on Tuesday morning at 7am beating down the door like they were the P.D. and blowing up my phone like someone died! Mind you, because I didn't have to work or get up early, I enjoyed a late night so I had every intention of sleeping in. Thanks to them, that didn't happen. DCM said she was a moron (her words) and didn't read the email. She was just under the assumption that the email stated I was closing Christmas Eve and Day and New Years Eve and Day. Needless to say, they got a week behind in pay but paid it when they returned. (Technically it was 4 days late but I didn't charge the fee since I thought it was a genuine mistake.)

January - DCB showed started showing up early again this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so I reminded DCM that my hours are 730am to 530pm and that anything before or after that is $1.00 per minute.

She sends me back this email saying she talked to me in November...which she did about earlier drop offs. But when I was getting up earlier and getting ready earlier and they weren't coming earlier for 6 straight weeks, what's a person to think? I stopped getting up early because of the inconsistencies.

So now, she wants to go back to 715am to 530pm when my hours are 730am to 530pm (which she knows I want to change to 515pm). I told her that I will accommodate the earlier drop offs as long as DCB is picked up by 515pm. Mind you this is the 1st child in and the last child to leave each day. All of my other children are gone by 510pm.

I've worked for this family for 3 years but their requests are becoming increasingly difficult when I'm not getting anything out of it. I know she won't pay a higher weekly rate and if DCM is really wanting to drop him down to 2 days per week in June/July, I'm going to have to let them go anyway.

What would you do?
cheerfuldom 11:17 AM 01-27-2012
I think part of this is your fault....theres seems to be a lot of miscommunications and assumptions. Get any schedule changes that you approve of and have them sign a new contract (with fees highlighted). Then start charging the fees. If you have questions about anything, talk to her in person and insist on a response by email and make sure there are no miscommunications.
Heidi 11:30 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I think part of this is your fault....theres seems to be a lot of miscommunications and assumptions. Get any schedule changes that you approve of and have them sign a new contract (with fees highlighted). Then start charging the fees. If you have questions about anything, talk to her in person and insist on a response by email and make sure there are no miscommunications.
ditto this...hammer it out, write it down, and don't allow any more changes without a fee. You don't have to be beechy about it, just say something like "we seem to be having a problem communicating xx's schedule. Lets sit down for a quick meeting and discuss it".
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 01-27-2012
I agree with bbo about saying that you need to discuss things with them as there seems to be a breakdown in the lines of communication.

Also this seems to be a textbook example of what Nan always talks about when you have a family you have had forever that suddenly begins expecting special because of their length of time with you.

Since you are lucky enough to have her be so geographically close to you, just curious as to what you think she would do in this same situation?
mac60 01:23 PM 01-27-2012
I agree with the above ladies.

I am in a similar situation. I basically screwed myself. I had a family that always came at 6:30 on the dot, my opening time. Then they moved to another town, asked if they could come at 6:15 because now the other parent would drop off and she needed to be to work by 6:30. I agreed, because I didn't want to lose them, good family overall. Well, It has never been 6:15, it is 6:05, 6:10, 6:02, you see what I mean. I get up 1/2 hour earlier each day for them, I open 1/2 earlier each day for them, and I get 0 compensation for any of it.

If I was to do it over again, I would of/should of told them I would do it for an additional fee of *** dollars. I have never sat down and figured out how much "free" they are getting from me, because if I did I would even be more peed off at myself. It didn't take but a couple days into the new schedule to realize that a 6:15 dropoff was a joke, it is always earlier. Lesson learned the hard way.
Christian Mother 01:27 PM 01-27-2012
Are we living the same lifes? lol!!

I have a family a lot like this but for me I stuck to my guns and what I could do. For me though...drop off used to be 7am and pick up 5pm. That was just the hrs I was opened..but bc mom works 30-45 min away she asked for a early drop off time and I said like you as long as the pick up is exactly 10 hrs from the drop off time. They where only using 9 hrs but it was dif. bc she was always late and having to pay late fees which I charge $5 the min your late. I don't charge a family if they drop off early. As long as I am up and ready then I don't have a problem but if you wake me and not notify me your dropping early. We will have a problem. I give this family 10 hrs that is it. Mind you I start at 6am and these kids do start around 6:15am and get picked up at 4:15pm sometimes earlier. I don't have a problem at all however, both are full time and I don't give discounts for the 2nd as I am only allowed 4 children per day in my home. This family takes 2 of those slots. Be specific on what you want and make sure she understands your rules and what you are not willing to do as well as what you are willing to do. A sit down meeting is recommended to hash it all out.
Lilbutterflie 01:41 PM 01-27-2012
Money talks. Let them know that their previous contract was for _____ # hours; and now there is a new contract for the 10hr 15min per day she is requesting. New contract and more hours = more money. I will bet she backs down to the previous hours once she knows it will cost her more per week.

I have a 10 hour maximum in my contract. Anything over that is considered overtime, which I charge $5 for each additional hour/partial hour. So, according to my contract; this parent would see an increase of $25 per week (assuming they come 5 days/wk).

Now that I reread your post, I realize you are only open 10 hours, and she is requesting to come prior to you even opening. I would never change my hours for a client, I don't care how long they are with me. It's your business, and you don't open your doors until 7:30am. End of story!
wdmmom 06:08 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with bbo about saying that you need to discuss things with them as there seems to be a breakdown in the lines of communication.

Also this seems to be a textbook example of what Nan always talks about when you have a family you have had forever that suddenly begins expecting special because of their length of time with you.

Since you are lucky enough to have her be so geographically close to you, just curious as to what you think she would do in this same situation?
Nan has a different fee schedule than i do. Her parents know ANY extra time costs & they know the charge up front.

Dcm & i got it worked out. I will accommodate the earlier dropoff 3 days a week & she will pick up 15 minutes early on those days...and its in writing.

I think she's going to start provider shopping. Maybe then she'll see the great deal she'sgot here because I'm certain she isnt going to find anything close to comparable.
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Nan has a different fee schedule than i do. Her parents know ANY extra time costs & they know the charge up front.

Dcm & i got it worked out. I will accommodate the earlier dropoff 3 days a week & she will pick up 15 minutes early on those days...and its in writing.

I think she's going to start provider shopping. Maybe then she'll see the great deal she'sgot here because I'm certain she isnt going to find anything close to comparable.
I am glad you got it worked out with her. If she does start shopping around, I am sure she will find out rather quickly how good she has it now with you.

Sometimes when I have a family who starts to "complain" or appear to be unhappy thinking they should be getting a better deal, I actually encourage them to start shopping around.....if they find a better deal than I offer; more power to them. I guess everyone has that right.

Most recently, I had a DCM that I have had in care for almost 14 years. (large gap between her 3 children) pull out for a short period of time and opted not to hold her space. I honestly think she thought she could just come right back because of our long standing relationship and if not, she could just find a better deal. She stopped coming in September of 2011.

Well, 3 months goes by without a word from her. Guess who has called me at least 4 times in the last month now begging for space??

I do love the family and I love her kids but I can't just give someone new the boot so I can accommodate her. After all, she chose to give up her spot so it is completely on her that there is no room now.

Glad you got your situation resolved though.
Tags:schedule, schedule - changes
Reply Up