Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Good Bye!
catinthebox 01:53 AM 08-01-2017
Today is the day that i am giving my boss my two week notice! I been working here at the site for two years. I am happy since i can now just focus on finishing up my schooling and getting my much needed knee surgery! I feel like a new person now!

But, i know my boss would give me hell since i am leaving. I have seen her over the years expressed and shown negative attitude towards my co workers for leaving.
Pretty much, she has a bad attitude with people who leaves the daycare. I know she is gonna give me double the trouble since i am one of the closers and only male teacher. The funny thing is that she likes to talk about how i was an valuable asset to her.

i can over come all her bs since i am getting a big fat paycheck since i have like 130 vacation hours and i will be working 90 hours for the next two weeks.
Josiegirl 02:34 AM 08-01-2017
Not much you can do about her attitude and what she says about you leaving. Just know *you're* doing the right thing and good luck with your knee surgery!! Hopefully, she won't give you a hard time over your vacation time though. I can just imagine someone like that being difficult about it.
DaveA 04:10 AM 08-01-2017
Good luck on finishing school and the surgery!
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 08-01-2017
Good luck!
Hopefully your boss won't be too difficult to deal with!
catinthebox 07:21 AM 08-01-2017
Thank you all for the support! Well i just handled in my two weeks notice and it was better than i excepted.

she had mention that i would lose my 130 vacation/sick hours. when i leave.
well i just checked the handbook for the site and it said" Sick hours that have been accrued and not used will not be paid upon termination of employment." .
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 08-01-2017
Originally Posted by catinthebox:
Thank you all for the support! Well i just handled in my two weeks notice and it was better than i excepted.

she had mention that i would lose my 130 vacation/sick hours. when i leave.
well i just checked the handbook for the site and it said" Sick hours that have been accrued and not used will not be paid upon termination of employment." .
Despite what it says in your employee handbook, that may or may not be legal.

This site says:

Q. What happens to my earned and accrued but unused vacation if I am discharged or quit my job?

A. Under California law, unless otherwise stipulated by a collective bargaining agreement, whenever the employment relationship ends, for any reason whatsoever, and the employee has not used all of his or her earned and accrued vacation, the employer must pay the employee at his or her final rate of pay for all of his or her earned and accrued and unused vacation days. Labor Code Section 227.3. Because paid vacation benefits are considered wages, such pay must be included in the employee's final paycheck.

So I think you should put a call in to the Department of Labor and double check. I've seen many employers say something similar to an employee even though it may not be true. Sometimes they count on you simply believing what they say.
CityGarden 07:59 AM 08-01-2017
Congrats on your next step!!! Best of luck.
e.j. 08:23 PM 08-01-2017
Good luck finishing your schooling and with surgery.
I hope you can get your vacation/sick pay as you had anticipated. What a disappointment it must have been to hear her tell you you wouldn't be getting it!
hwichlaz 12:05 PM 08-02-2017
is your accrued time documented on your pay stubs? If it is....it'll be easy to get it. Fair Labor and Housing will help.
catinthebox 07:22 PM 08-02-2017
Thank you all!
The only hours that is on my stubs is the sick hours but it does not include my vacation time. I know that i am getting paid for my vacation time but i have no clue how much hours i have. Over the two years i been here i have only used my vacation time three times and it was all in the last two months.

I wish i would have used my sick hours! i was hoping that my knee doctor would have done my operation like 3 months ago so that i could use up the time and get paid.
Tags:2 week notice, california, leaving job, vacation pay
Reply Up