Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Mixed Level, Elementary School, Summer Curriculum

How do I do it? I don't know much about kids under 6th grade. I need to plan the language arts curriculum and come up with a few activities.

Are age/grade differences significant in this range? How much can the curriculum overlap between levels?

Can you suggest curriculum ideas for a summer program or how to do a curriculum for that time period and those levels?

Do you teachsubjects beyond langauges and math or just do activities?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Hello.. Ok so I'm still new to the DC buz but, last summer I had my 7 year old and a 3 year old dck. I did a few different themes.. Ocean, Space, a Beach theme and Camping. I did letters and numbers along with crafts. This year not abc's or 123's. The two of them had a lot of fun. At the end of each theme/month I had my son (8 yr) write a story rated to the theme. Hope this helps! oh I found a neat site that may help it's free and hasesson plans and work sheets for various ages... Learningpages.com
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
DCnewin11

I think it is great to have the older kids involved in leading the activities for the younger kids as mentioned above. One, it solidifies their understanding of basic principles, and two, it teaches them how to lead. This will increasingly improve their leadership, preparation and ability to speak in front of others.

One fun thing that I did was even put together a little packet for the kids that would be away on family vacations. It seems to make their transition back to the group a lot easier. And the parents seemed to appreciate the gift.

Tags
activities, elementary school, language arts, mixed level, summer curriculum