Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Supergate, AKA "Baby Jail"
KDC 07:01 AM 09-17-2013
I have a 15 month DCB that just started with me in early August. He is a big boy and REALLY freakishly strong. This is his first experience with daycare and for the most part he's adjusting just fine. His separation anxiety has waned, he is really excited when he gets here, no tears. Naps like a dream. My issue is sharing. He's only 15 months (so age appropriate lack of sharing) and he shares the space with my other 20 month DCB. He walks up to the 20 month old and just pushes, shoves, takes, pinches, uses his head to maneuver his subject away from the toy he desires. He's just not getting it. I will re-direct (rinse and repeat) I've been working on this with him for a month, and I'm not seeing any improvement. Still, I have to shadow him every second.

I have a super gate octagon 'baby jail' that I put him in when I need to make lunch, assist in potty training, or do other activities with the other children, since he has also shown the propensity to bite, I don't want to take any risks. He has plenty of toys and does not cry when he's in there for the most part, He is always in the same room with us. I just feel bad. I have shared this information with the parents, and let them know I'll continue to work with him on sharing and not hurting others. Does this sound fair? If not, I might have to term since I don't see another option.

Thanks in Advance!
SilverSabre25 08:57 AM 09-17-2013
You posted this in the parents and guardians forum; did you want it in the main daycare forum or the off-topic/sensitive one?
Heidi 09:21 AM 09-17-2013
I think it's perfectly fair, as long as it's not for long periods of time.

As a parent, I would prefer you came up with solutions and my child succeeded in daycare than we get "termed" due to aggression. He's little, he'll learn, but it will take a while. In the meantime, you are managing it.
Cradle2crayons 09:28 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I think it's perfectly fair, as long as it's not for long periods of time.

As a parent, I would prefer you came up with solutions and my child succeeded in daycare than we get "termed" due to aggression. He's little, he'll learn, but it will take a while. In the meantime, you are managing it.

I agree. He doesn't see it as a punishment, although e super yard CAN be used for that.

Ad you aren't using it for punishment. You are using it as protection for others when he can't be by my side.

As a parent I would much rather you use that when you can't be right beside him than someone else's child gets hurt.

I think what you are doing is extremely appropriate for the situation.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:32 AM 09-17-2013
I have had to use the "baby cage" at my house to contain children that had a tendency to hurt others or my playroom when I stepped out
I would tell them, when you can be gentle I will be able to leave you out. Now my problem would be the others would want in the baby cage and sometimes I would have to reverse the procedure.
Play Care 10:10 AM 09-17-2013
I see nothing wrong with what you are doing

To be honest I am more horrified by the amount of providers unwilling to use gates or "devices" to keep kids safe and then have the audacity to be upset when another child gets a chunk of flesh removed or they have "good" kids pulled because of it.
Cradle2crayons 11:04 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I see nothing wrong with what you are doing

To be honest I am more horrified by the amount of providers unwilling to use gates or "devices" to keep kids safe and then have the audacity to be upset when another child gets a chunk of flesh removed or they have "good" kids pulled because of it.

Good point.
KDC 12:16 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
You posted this in the parents and guardians forum; did you want it in the main daycare forum or the off-topic/sensitive one?
whoops... I did put it in the wrong category, sorry!! Not sure how to change it now.

Thanks for the advice. I thought what I was doing was okay, just wanted to see if this was common. I hate seeing his little face in there, I really want him to be out interacting with others and I know it will happen in time as he learns. I just need to be patient or as I tell the kids. Waaaiiittt!! LOL. Thanks!
SilverSabre25 01:15 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
whoops... I did put it in the wrong category, sorry!! Not sure how to change it now.

Thanks for the advice. I thought what I was doing was okay, just wanted to see if this was common. I hate seeing his little face in there, I really want him to be out interacting with others and I know it will happen in time as he learns. I just need to be patient or as I tell the kids. Waaaiiittt!! LOL. Thanks!
Mods fix it for you that's why I asked. Moved to main forum!
lovemylife 03:30 PM 09-17-2013
Thankfully I have never had this problem. I have has difficult older children but not younger ones being aggressive. If I did I would see no problem using a gate. IMO it is better than buckling them in a high chair/booster seat. Then they can't move around and play.
LoraJenkins 03:44 PM 09-17-2013
I have a "Play Zone" that I use for the toddlers. I only use if I need to go potty or if one of the toddlers need a break from the group (they start hitting, biting, etc). The toddlers I have only do those behaviors when they get over stimulated because they cannot voice how they feel yet (at least that is what I am seeing). They are in the same room with us, have toys that they only play with in there, and enjoy it. Sometimes, if they get overwhelmed and want some alone play, they will actually ask to go in.
Reply Up