Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Nakedness!
Unregistered 10:37 AM 10-21-2013
So my little one is currently on a clothing strike. It's not a big deal at home- I used to fight her about it, but I figured she'd outgrow it. Issue now is that she won't keep them on in public. Had a huge battle at the store the other day because she kept taking her shirt off! Last week she took all of her clothes off at naptime, stacked them nicely next to her nap mat, and climbed under her covers. We had a talk about how she has to keep her clothes on when she's not at home and she just keeps asking why. I just tell her that's the rule, it's for privacy and to keep her safe and clean. I don't really know what else to tell her. I don't want to shame her about her body or anything nor do I want to make too big a deal out of it. Is it just a phase she'll grow out of, or am I raising a stripper? (She's 2 by the way)
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 10-21-2013
I had a DCG like that once. The minute you looked away, she stripped ALL her clothes off.

Maybe try some clothing she isn't able to remove until she understands that she HAS to be clothed in public.

It's tough at that age, and I think it has the potential to become a power struggle that has nothing to do with being dressed or undressed eventually so I would just be firm now so she understands.

The minute she begins removing her clothing, leave the store and go home. If you can do that a couple times I bet she'll get it pretty quickly.

If that isn't an option maybe you can shop without her until she learns....

I don't know...I wish I had better advice.

Hang in there though....
LoraJenkins 10:59 AM 10-21-2013
My daughters went through the same thing between the ages of 2 and 4. The only thing that worked for us was having a specific "naked" time every evening. They would watch the clock and when 7pm hit, they would scream "Naked Time" and the clothes would fly! Of course bath time was 7:15 every night anyway but they didn't realize it. It's so funny to look back on it now that they are 19 & 21.
Unregistered 11:07 AM 10-21-2013
she's potty trained, so she really needs to wear clothing she can take off easily. I'll just keep letting her have her naked time at home. I did tell her she had to wear pants at dinner, but the rest of the time it's all naked all the time. She is a mess!
SilverSabre25 07:58 PM 10-21-2013
How about sensory issues? Often children who take a strong aversion to clothing are objecting to something about it sensorily.

(My two year old also enjoys nakedness. So I can actually relate...)
daycare 08:11 PM 10-21-2013
this thread made me laugh......I know you are feeling frustrated, but I had to laugh at how cute this is. Oh and your line of am I raising a stripper......lol

I think the idea of making a naked time sounds like a really good idea. Kind of like when we say, please don't jump on the sofa, you can jump on the floor.

YOu can't take your clothing off outside, but you can take them off at 7:00pm. Maybe letting her know that she has a time to do that will help????

Good luck.....
nanglgrl 08:25 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So my little one is currently on a clothing strike. It's not a big deal at home- I used to fight her about it, but I figured she'd outgrow it. Issue now is that she won't keep them on in public. Had a huge battle at the store the other day because she kept taking her shirt off! Last week she took all of her clothes off at naptime, stacked them nicely next to her nap mat, and climbed under her covers. We had a talk about how she has to keep her clothes on when she's not at home and she just keeps asking why. I just tell her that's the rule, it's for privacy and to keep her safe and clean. I don't really know what else to tell her. I don't want to shame her about her body or anything nor do I want to make too big a deal out of it. Is it just a phase she'll grow out of, or am I raising a stripper? (She's 2 by the way)
Magic Mike was a baby once too. Everyone can't be doctors and lawyers ya know.
No good advice here, except I hate clothes too. They are so constricting. When I wear socks it feels like they are trying to strangle my toes. I have my bras fitted and they still feel like a torture device to me. If there is ever a fire at my house in the middle of the night the whole neighborhood will see my vajungle. <I wonder if that's ok to say here? If not, oops.
Have you tried letting her wear non-constrictive clothes like baggy dresses and loose sweatpants? Things make out of satin our velour don't bother my skin as much. Darn, I just realized that last sentence made me sound like I should be a stripper.
cheerfuldom 08:33 PM 10-21-2013
I think loose fitting knit dresses would be the way to go. Take her shopping with the deal that she must wear the ones you pick out together. if you can spulrge, bamboo and other nicer fabrics are divine to wear! feelsl like a stretchy soft nightgown!
Unregistered 11:50 AM 10-22-2013
I don't think it's a sensory thing- she wears a terribly uncomfortable looking (okay, cheap) pj set her grandma got her- manmade material, very scratchy but it has Hello Kitty on it and she would live in it if I let her. We also looked into some sensory issues last year when she was biting everything that came near her mouth, including her classmates. I think some of it is that she's getting a rise out of me and a part of it is also that she just figured out how to dress and undress herself. Just another fun part of having a toddler, I guess! Thanks for the responses- makes me feel that she's not too weird!
BrooklynM 01:00 PM 10-22-2013
Awe...this makes me think of my kids when they were little! I had the same nakey kids!

With my daughter I went back to the drawing board and got some large onesies when we went out of the house so she couldn't take them off. It worked like a charm!

Don't forget to put this story in her baby book! My kids who are now 14 and 11 love hearing stories like this! And no, my daughter isn't a stripper
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 10-22-2013
I don't think it's a sensory thing- she wears a terribly uncomfortable looking (okay, cheap) pj set her grandma got her- manmade material, very scratchy but it has Hello Kitty on it and she would live in it if I let her. We also looked into some sensory issues last year when she was biting everything that came near her mouth, including her classmates. I think some of it is that she's getting a rise out of me and a part of it is also that she just figured out how to dress and undress herself. Just another fun part of having a toddler, I guess! Thanks for the responses- makes me feel that she's not too weird!
Maybe THAT (the bolded part) is your key... Let her have a choice in what she chooses to wear. Help her understand if she is allowed to choose her clothing, she must keep it on. If not, then YOU choose it.

If there are certain items she will keep on, I'd look closely as to why she is willing to keep those items on.
Unregistered 03:50 PM 10-22-2013
The last time i let her pick out her clothes she wore her Easter dress- that was last month. Oh well, i guess something is better than nothing. I'm going to take pictures and the best outfits are definitely going in the baby book!
daycarediva 05:19 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
My daughters went through the same thing between the ages of 2 and 4. The only thing that worked for us was having a specific "naked" time every evening. They would watch the clock and when 7pm hit, they would scream "Naked Time" and the clothes would fly! Of course bath time was 7:15 every night anyway but they didn't realize it. It's so funny to look back on it now that they are 19 & 21.

I was this kid, I'm not a stripper and am actually quite conservative so maybe she is just getting it out of her system now. No girls gone wild for me! LOL! this is what my Mom did, and it worked for her. I was allowed to wear just undies and an undershirt in the house from 2yo-I outgrew it around 6. As long as we didn't have company. I didn't fight her, because I felt like I had a choice.

I second the PP as well, had a then 2yo little girl in care who refused to wear clothing at ALL, she was coming in a diaper and blanket to daycare some days. Dcm finally started allowing her to chose her own clothing, except to church (she got to chose from Mom picked outfits, though) and NO FURTHER ISSUES. One day she was naked and screaming bloody murder if an article of clothing touched her skin, the next she looked like punky Brewster, but she was dressed! It's been over a year and she still can't match worth a darn. If anything has pink in it, it HAS to match something else with pink in it. Today she wore pink/black Halloween tights, a pink flowered winter dress and a polka dotted shirt under it. Cutest thing ever.
itlw8 07:01 AM 10-25-2013
she's potty trained, so she really needs to wear clothing she can take off easily. I'll just keep letting her have her naked time at home. I did tell her she had to wear pants at dinner, but the rest of the time it's all naked all the time. She is a mess!
now I was going to suggest less naked time at home. meals she needs to be fully dressed for sure. It would be rude for your dh not to wear a shirt to dinner, same with her.

naked time is in your bedroom or bathroom. get her something soft and loose to wear instead of naked a silky nighty or robe?

the more she is naked at home the more it confuses her why not other places.

one of my dcks dad is a tennis coach at the meets she keeps stripping off her clothes. She WILL be remembered by the staff when she gets to high school LOL
by the way this is pretty normal they are not modest at that age.
Unregistered 07:33 AM 10-25-2013
So I've been letting her pick out her clothes (well, I give her choices) and it has gotten really cold this week, so things have gotten much better. I also stopped reacting and I think that was huge. This morning after toileting she said she didn't want to put her pants back on, and I just said ok. A minute later she asked for them. She's 2- I think she just wants to do the opposite of everything I want her to do! She still won't put on a coat, but whatever. I won't let her wear one in the carseat anyways, and if she wants to be cold while playing outside that's on her. She'll ask for it if she gets cold enough. I'm working on letting go. I'm the idiot for thinking I can win an argument with a toddler.
Tags:nakedness
Reply Up