Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day
kcnjason 08:06 AM 04-29-2011
Mother's Day is in 1 week and I like to do a special project/gift for each parent from each child. Would you like to share your ideas that you do with the dck's for mother's day.
daycare 08:10 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
Mother's Day is in 1 week and I like to do a special project/gift for each parent from each child. Would you like to share your ideas that you do with the dck's for mother's day.
OMG is it that close......lol I don't even know when it is.

I am going to have to get a jump on that.

I think that I am going to go to the dollar bins at target. They have some really cute make it yourself photobooks. I have a ton of pics of the kids over the last year as well as this year...

I think I will do something with pictures for sure....
MamaBear 08:45 AM 04-29-2011
I didnt realize it was so soon either!

Last year I printed a picture of each of the kids and they framed each one with these colored popsicle sticks... Then stuck a magnet on the back for them to put on the fridge. They were each wrapped along with a bow.

The year before I bought these tiny little flower vases at Walmart for $0.50 each and bought a fake bouquet of yellow roses... I put one yellow rose (trimmed down to fit) in each vase. Then put a pink bow around the vase and put in a little gift bag for each mom. That one was more work for me but the moms really liked it.
kcnjason 09:00 AM 04-29-2011
One idea that I have came across is a ceramic tile, the kids put their handprint on the tile with paint, the provider writes "Happy Mother's Day" across the top and if the child is able, they cn write their name below the handprint. I have a few kids that can write their name, not perfect, but cute for a tile. I thought about that idea but would love to hear of other ideas.
cheerfuldom 09:44 AM 04-29-2011
I didn't even realize it was NEXT week! We have nothing planned yet but I better get it together!
lil angels 09:52 AM 04-29-2011
Oh crap! Almost every year were will plant geranium seeds in old plastic cookie containers and they are sprouted by Mothers Day and they decorate them and take them home.

But this year I am behind forgot all about it. We are going to each decorate a large cookie with frosting and some hard candy and wrap it up for each mom and I have some foam words that relate to mothers day so they can make a pic out of those to.
PitterPatter 09:58 AM 04-29-2011
We are doing the handprint poem with a paint hand print and frame it for each toddler to give to Mom.

My older child who has done this will be doing the teapot poem this time.

My son wants to paint a flowerpot and transplant a flower.

That's it for this Mothers day. I'm not going all out.
daycare 10:01 AM 04-29-2011
I have an idea, but not too suere where to buy the stuff to do it.

I have a ton of white plates that my moms church got rid of. I picked up about 15 of them and they have been siting in a box in my garage..

I really want to use the plate to paint a handprint, along with a poem. I have some of those plate stands and I think this would be a great project....

My question is where do I get such paint to make something like this...Again I am sooooo uncrafty.

I even thought if I could that I would somehow get a picture on there as well....

the plates are all white with a nice silver trim..... I think they may have been someones grandmas fine china at one time, but several of the pieces are missing
Pammie 10:12 AM 04-29-2011
We're making windchimes out of terra cotta flower pots:-)

The kids will paint the pot, then I'll spray/seal them. We'll add metal washers on string for the "chimes".

I have some families that have been with me for 9+ years (siblings) and it gets more challenging every year to find a project we haven't done before
juliebug 10:19 AM 04-29-2011
we are doing sun-catcher vases from otc.

her they are:
here
PitterPatter 10:28 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have an idea, but not too suere where to buy the stuff to do it.

I have a ton of white plates that my moms church got rid of. I picked up about 15 of them and they have been siting in a box in my garage..

I really want to use the plate to paint a handprint, along with a poem. I have some of those plate stands and I think this would be a great project....

My question is where do I get such paint to make something like this...Again I am sooooo uncrafty.

I even thought if I could that I would somehow get a picture on there as well....

the plates are all white with a nice silver trim..... I think they may have been someones grandmas fine china at one time, but several of the pieces are missing
I get 90% of my paint from Walmart. Other special paints I get at the craft stores. Depends on the coating on the plate what u would use. I use acrylic and enamels usually, sometimes I have to seal it. I use the paint pens to write with so u could probably use those for the poem portion. Your idea sounds very nice!!
daycare 10:48 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I get 90% of my paint from Walmart. Other special paints I get at the craft stores. Depends on the coating on the plate what u would use. I use acrylic and enamels usually, sometimes I have to seal it. I use the paint pens to write with so u could probably use those for the poem portion. Your idea sounds very nice!!
thanks for the reply... so I can just use enamels? I have a ton left over from our christams stuff. what do you seal it with??
PitterPatter 11:05 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks for the reply... so I can just use enamels? I have a ton left over from our christams stuff. what do you seal it with??
Yes make sure your enamels say for ceramics. Some of my bottles don't say it so I only use the ones that specifically state ceramics. (assuming your plate is ceramic) I sealed a ceramic frame with a brush on sealant after the paint had dried but being this is a plate I worry will someone try to eat off of it. Maybe just put it in the oven to set the paint. That would be quicker/easier too.
jen2651 04:48 PM 04-29-2011
Yes make sure your enamels say for ceramics. Some of my bottles don't say it so I only use the ones that specifically state ceramics. (assuming your plate is ceramic) I sealed a ceramic frame with a brush on sealant after the paint had dried but being this is a plate I worry will someone try to eat off of it. Maybe just put it in the oven to set the paint. That would be quicker/easier too.
There are certain paints which have on the label they are able to be baked on. I bought plain old wine glasses and painted holly on them for Christmas. You just paint and let them dry and then bake. I would ask parents though with the plates to not eat off them...
Symphony 07:20 PM 04-29-2011
I'm going to head to the garden shop this weekend and try to find some six packs of pansies or something similar and then have the kids decorate a pot for mom. I was planning on having them plant seeds, but this year has been SO dreary and cold. My son brought home a bean plant he started at school and the poor thing has had no sun whatsoever. I told him to brace himself, lol. I don't think it's gonna make it.
Candyland 07:25 PM 04-29-2011
We are doing the handprint poem with a paint hand print and frame it for each toddler to give to Mom.

My older child who has done this will be doing the teapot poem this time.

My son wants to paint a flowerpot and transplant a flower.

That's it for this Mothers day. I'm not going all out.
PitterPatter, would you please share the teapot poem with us?
PitterPatter 07:44 PM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by Candyland:
PitterPatter, would you please share the teapot poem with us?
Gladly There are a couple of them we use.

For Mother’s Day I give you this gift.
When you use it, it will give you a lift.
On those days when you are impatient with me,
Sit down and relax with a cup of tea.

Here is a gift for mother's day
I'll try my best in every way.
But when you get upset with me,
Relax and have a cup of tea!

I trace a tea pot pattern on construction paper and allow the kids to decorate it as they wish paint, markers, glitter or just crayons. The lid is a separate pattern I trace it on the same color paper and it slides down a slit in the top of the pot so when Mom lifts the lid the poem slides up and has a teabag attached to the back.
PitterPatter 07:48 PM 04-29-2011
http://www.hummingbirded.com/mothers.html

Some nice Mothers day ideas.
Candyland 12:13 PM 04-30-2011

this is a nice site! And thanks for the poem, PtterPatter!
PitterPatter 01:46 PM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by Candyland:
this is a nice site! And thanks for the poem, PtterPatter!
My pleasure. Have a great weekend!
newtodaycare22 10:28 AM 05-02-2011
My kids are painting little pots that we'll put fake flowers in. They'll use their fingers to make the shape of a flower (finger painting ) and I'll attach this poem:

My fingers are the petals.
My thumbprint is the seed.
A very special flower.
For you that's made by me!

We're also singing them a song to the tune of BINGO:

I love her and she loves me, and mommy is here name-o
M-O-MM-Y
M-O-MM-Y
M-O-MM-Y
and Mommy is her name-o
dave4him 05:15 PM 05-08-2012
im thinking of getting some flower pots or something. Not sure but i know i need to think of soemthing soon
cheerfuldom 06:08 PM 05-08-2012

used this site too! I have a ton of formula cans and going to plant a flower in each, decorate the can, add a handprint and poem. I like using scrapbook paper for stuff like this.
Christian Mother 08:56 PM 05-08-2012
I loved the teapot craft...we did it last yr and the parents really loved it!! I ashually printed up a cute tea pot page and had the kids color it and then I cut in side the lid and had a tea bag hanging off of it for the parents. Then on the bottom of the coloring page was a tea pot poem exactly like pitterpatters!!

This yr I am doing the "Soap Cloud" activity. What we decided to do is have all the kids wrap there painted "finger prints" all over a pink, red, or white construction paper on a Dove bar. I bought a scented pink bath bar so that when they microwave it and it becomes a cloud for mom...they won't have to add oils to it or food coloring,..it will already have a rose color to it. Of course they can add die to it but I wouldn't recommend food coloring. Then they can either make soap out of it or they can use it in the bath tub for the kids or mom it dissolves really fast and it's really fun for the family to do and get involved together for. I thought this yr that I would provide the activity and the parents could share in the memories together.
Oneluckymom 10:06 PM 05-08-2012
I went to the dollar store and bought some plain wooden picture frames 4x6 and some boxes of childrens 100 piece puzzle sets. The kids will glue the puzzle pieces around the frame and I will insert the Childs picture along with a caption on the bottom "I love you to pieces mom !" wrap and tie with a bow !!
DaisyMamma 03:28 AM 05-09-2012
This is a really old post!
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
This is a really old post!
...but 100% relavant to the holiday.
dEHmom 08:15 AM 05-09-2012
I started our crafts yesterday.

We did a spin off of the Homemade Chia pets.

I bought cute little pots from the dollar store. Painted the kids hands green and we did upsidedown handprints (to be the hair, thumbs are the bangs, and form the outline for the faces). Then we glued on googly eyes and I cut sparkly red foam paper into lips. The kids glued those on. On the back I'm going to write a cute poem but yet to find the right one. Then we filled with soil and added grass seeds and topped with more soil.
SunshineMama 09:14 AM 05-09-2012
I cant take credit for this ( I got the idea from another thread) but we are doing potholders with fabric paint handprints on them. The dollar store was selling 2 potholders for a dollar.
My3cents 10:06 AM 05-09-2012
I have little's but I bought terra cotta pots and they painted them and we will put petunias and dirt in them. They loved painting them. I love the seeds that grow but time just got away and I also like results of a nice plant. I may tape a pictures of the child to the pot also.....a picture of them painting their little pot. Fun stuff....... was going to do the soap cloud but ended up doing this instead.
Creek 10:20 AM 05-09-2012
Last year... I bought larger pieces of framed canvas ($1-$2 each) and the letters "M" and "O" from Michaels. They're the large white letters you can put up on the wall. I took all the kids outside and took photos of them sitting under a tree with each letter a few times. I printed two of each child with the "M" and one with the "O". I had the kids paint the canvas any way they liked and then glued their photos on it to say Mom. I also did the same thing with Father's day.

We've done clay hand prints.
Photos of their face with petals all around with the caption "You help me grow"
Flower pots that the kids paint and we've planted flowers in them.
hhdc 11:26 AM 05-09-2012
I have two 10 months old and am stuck with what to do. 1 of the moms is a first time mom so I feel like I should do something but I am not sure what. I do have some cute pictures of the kids I could print out and ust make a frame.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
MissAnn 11:34 AM 05-09-2012
I took a picture of each kid and also a picture of their hand with trees in the background. The picture of their hands I used as the background on photo paper...in sepia. The picture of each kid's face is at the top and in color. Then I interviewed each kid .....questions about their mom and the interview typed out on the picture. Hard to explain....but they came out really cute.
AmyLeigh 01:29 PM 05-09-2012
I just saw a cute idea for a bookmark.* Take a picture of the front and back of the child, glue onto a piece of card stock folded at the top so that the front picture is on one side, back picture on back.* Then put magnetic strip on the bottom of the bookmark to hold them together when in the book.* It would be cute to do the picture in black and white and let the kiddos color it, too!* Easy peasy!
Tags:mother's day, mother's day ideas
Reply Up