Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"But....What Do People Do With Their Kids When You're Closed?"
Rockgirl 09:21 AM 08-10-2015
And other comments made by people who don't do childcare. I know....people just don't know, but that one always gets me! My mom and I used to have this exchange every time I closed for vacation:

Mom: "Was everyone able to find someone to keep their kids while you're gone?"

Me: "I didn't ask. I gave them 2 months' notice, posted a reminder on the whiteboard, and sent a group text reminder."

Next time around, same thing.

Which comments do you all get?
Josiegirl 09:31 AM 08-10-2015
Ugh, I HATE that!! I'm always getting asked what parents do when I'm closed. Not that I'm closed that often. As if I'm supposed to stay open 24/7 so that I'll be available to them? I don't take any vacations to speak off, just a day here or there, maybe close an hour or 2 early so I can make it to the dentist, things like that.
I probably take it too personally because the people that ask have never been involved in child care at all so have no clue. But I always tell them 'not my problem'.
Play Care 09:41 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
And other comments made by people who don't do childcare. I know....people just don't know, but that one always gets me! My mom and I used to have this exchange every time I closed for vacation:

Mom: "Was everyone able to find someone to keep their kids while you're gone?"

Me: "I didn't ask. I gave them 2 months' notice, posted a reminder on the whiteboard, and sent a group text reminder."

Next time around, same thing.

Which comments do you all get?
I get that one also and it always puzzles me. I wonder if they ask an elementary teacher what the parents of their students do during breaks, inservice days, etc.
Nisaryn 09:47 AM 08-10-2015
I hate this question, I just let them know that I try to give notice ASAP if it's because I'm sick etc. but that for appointments I usually know at least a month ahead of time and will give them notice...most of my parents are usually able to get that day off since they can put their own notice in ahead of time. The other questions that I hate are:

DaveA 11:12 AM 08-10-2015
I get that one fairly frequently. Usually it's by people who have no clue how childcare works, so it doesn't bother me. I usually say something like "Parents are expected to have a plan in case I'm closed."

The ones I get that is pretty specific to my situation are "Do you only take boys?" or "Who changes diapers for you?" OYE

The one that confuses me is "What does your wife think of you doing a daycare?" Like I'm going to start a home based business up and just tell my wife "Oh by the way Honey- starting tomorrow I'm going to have a bunch of kids here all day long every weekday!"
Rockgirl 11:17 AM 08-10-2015
I had a mom call me (we used to live next door to her family when she was a teenager) asking about childcare. She said she'd like to set up a time to come meet with me. I explained that I would be closed for vacation xyz days, so we could schedule it for after that. She said, "You'll be CLOSED? Well, what do people DO? I mean....they are depending on you." We did not set up an interview. Lol
Controlled Chaos 11:34 AM 08-10-2015
I always figure people are just trying to "talk shop" with me when they ask. I probably ask annoying questions about their jobs too
Conoad 11:35 AM 08-10-2015
I was just asked in an interview - "are you going to let your dog bite my baby?"
Play Care 11:43 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I always figure people are just trying to "talk shop" with me when they ask. I probably ask annoying questions about their jobs too
True enough.
AuntTami 11:44 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Conoad:
I was just asked in an interview - "are you going to let your dog bite my baby?"
...... Yes, yes I am. I'm gonna put that babies arm right in the dogs mouth after I cover it with peanut butter and grease so it's good and appetizing......... SMH!!
Rockgirl 12:02 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Oh, I'm sure I do! Like I said, I know they just don't know. It's just funny.
Rockgirl 12:03 PM 08-10-2015
"Are you saying that would be a problem, dcm?"
Controlled Chaos 12:10 PM 08-10-2015
Did you not want the baby to be bit??? That will cost extra
midaycare 12:45 PM 08-10-2015
I can't even ...
CraftyMom 12:55 PM 08-10-2015
We are no different than a school closing, what is the difference? Actually we close LESS! School closes for the whole summer....what do parents DO ???
CraftyMom 01:00 PM 08-10-2015
Maybe the new response should be "eventually your child will be in school and they will be closed for the same holidays as me, plus in service days and half days. There will also be 3 school vacations that are a week long each in December, February and April. School is also closed for the whole summer. Now is a good time to get ready for that. I am closed way less than that...what was the question?"
CraftyMom 01:04 PM 08-10-2015
Well no, but I WAS going to let the dog eat your baby. Since you seem to be opposed to that I guess I will have to find some other form of entertainment"
spud912 01:05 PM 08-10-2015
My dh always asks what dcp's are going to do when I take off time. He always says to "put myself in other people's shoes." I always tell him, "Well time off comes with the territory. I'm not a drone and my family comes first. I don't care what they have to do. If they can't figure things out and they leave, I have a waiting list of others hoping to get in."
midaycare 01:49 PM 08-10-2015
This seems to be a career that, for some reason, people seem entitled to get all up in my business. "Do your parents pay you when you are off for vacation?" Uh, do you get paid for vacation? And if I don't, would I still ask if you are getting paid? Totally inappropriate.

I get all kinds of inappropriate questions. But the one that bugs me the most comes from older relatives, "How is your babysitting going?" Or, "Are you still babysitting? I did that when I was young."
originalkat 02:23 PM 08-10-2015
I was asked if I would let my dog lick their baby's face.
Controlled Chaos 03:03 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
This seems to be a career that, for some reason, people seem entitled to get all up in my business. "Do your parents pay you when you are off for vacation?" Uh, do you get paid for vacation? And if I don't, would I still ask if you are getting paid? Totally inappropriate.

I get all kinds of inappropriate questions. But the one that bugs me the most comes from older relatives, "How is your babysitting going?" Or, "Are you still babysitting? I did that when I was young."
Yea...those types of questions are awkward. I hadn't really thought about it like that. I would never ask someone if they were hourly, salaried, had paid time off etc. Its not my business...people be all up in yo buisnass
tntsmom 08:43 PM 08-10-2015
My policy states they have backup childcare available and in place prior to care beginning.
Rockgirl 08:48 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by tntsmom:
My policy states they have backup childcare available and in place prior to care beginning.
Mine, too. It's just funny that people who do not provide childcare don't always get all that.
Thriftylady 09:04 AM 08-11-2015
Every time I see this thread, I think with my sarcastic side and think I would tell someone "Oh I dunno, maybe they lock them in the closet", Of course the professional side of me would never say that.
Play Care 09:26 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by :
I think this is what bothers me as well. I NEVER hear WOTHP's being asked about paid vacations or their other days off.
Because it's RUDE. And thinking more on it, I'm sure anyone else who works for themselves in what's considered a "real" job isn't asked either (plumber, electricians, etc)
But somehow it's okay to as the "sitter" about her money...
MarinaVanessa 09:46 AM 08-11-2015
Don't you just love that question? I get it often but from clients, not really from other people. Sometimes with first-time daycare parents I get "But, what am I supposed to for child care?" when I notify my clients of a vacation or a day that I need to close. I'm supposed to give 2 weeks notice when I close but I often give at least 30 days, when it comes to holidays they get a schedule for the whole year right up front ... and I still get this question lol.

I have to say that the oddest/weirdest question I have ever gotten was over the phone and was about breast milk. The caller asked if I was on the food program and if I was open to feeding her baby breastmilk ... yes to both ... then she asked me who's milk it was. Somehow she got her info about the food program mixed up .We have to provide a brand of formula of our choice at no cost to the client but if the client chooses to provide breast milk we can still claim it as a meal, she somehow thought that if she chose to feed her baby breast milk that the provider had to provide the breast milk too
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 08-11-2015
The most ridiculous thing a parent has ever asked me?

"Can I do anything, pay you more to not give "D" (her 8 yr old DS) a consequence for his behavior yesterday?"

The child lost his outside privileges and the mother was seriously offering to pay me money to not follow through...
Controlled Chaos 10:37 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Don't you just love that question? I get it often but from clients, not really from other people. Sometimes with first-time daycare parents I get "But, what am I supposed to for child care?" when I notify my clients of a vacation or a day that I need to close. I'm supposed to give 2 weeks notice when I close but I often give at least 30 days, when it comes to holidays they get a schedule for the whole year right up front ... and I still get this question lol.

I have to say that the oddest/weirdest question I have ever gotten was over the phone and was about breast milk. The caller asked if I was on the food program and if I was open to feeding her baby breastmilk ... yes to both ... then she asked me who's milk it was. Somehow she got her info about the food program mixed up .We have to provide a brand of formula of our choice at no cost to the client but if the client chooses to provide breast milk we can still claim it as a meal, she somehow thought that if she chose to feed her baby breast milk that the provider had to provide the breast milk too

midaycare 10:41 AM 08-11-2015

Please tell me you didn't take that woman on as a client. I can't imagine...
Bookworm 10:46 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The most ridiculous thing a parent has ever asked me?

"Can I do anything, pay you more to not give "D" (her 8 yr old DS) a consequence for his behavior yesterday?"

The child lost his outside privileges and the mother was seriously offering to pay me money to not follow through...
What is wrong with people?
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
What is wrong with people?
that's not even the best part....

the mom is a family therapist, specializing in children's behaviors

The two worst parents I have ever had both had the same profession.
MarinaVanessa 10:58 AM 08-11-2015
Please tell me you didn't take that woman on as a client. I can't imagine...
No way, I'd never. Especially since I spent the next 10 minutes trying to explain to her that I wasn't the one that needed to supply the breast milk ... she was and I was just to feed it to her baby. She kept arguing with me and insisting that I needed to supply the breast milk until I finally just gave her the phone number to our food program office and asked her to call them to verify her information. She never called back and if she had I wouldn't take her. I think I know a little about the food program ... you know, since I was on it and all for oh ... IDK YEARS! lol
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:38 AM 08-11-2015

I had a mom ask me if it would be easier for me to nurse her dd too since I was nursing my son!!
Stephnrich 11:45 AM 08-11-2015
Lol, WTH?! That could take the cake. One question I'm always asked us "How do you get them to mind you?" Im not sure how to answer it, and usually just say kids mind differently than they do with parents.
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 08-11-2015
I cant remember the story behind this but a parent once asked "You aren't going to shake my baby are you?"

I totally understand the concern but....
Baby Beluga 12:27 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I think this is what bothers me as well. I NEVER hear WOTHP's being asked about paid vacations or their other days off.
Because it's RUDE. And thinking more on it, I'm sure anyone else who works for themselves in what's considered a "real" job isn't asked either (plumber, electricians, etc)
I agree with this. A new family moved in a couple houses down from me and our two little girls started to play together when outside. As soon as mom knew I did in home she would not stop asking questions. She asked salary questions, tax questions, time off, how much money I spent on the kids....and if her and her daughter could come play during the day with all the kids. Btw, none of these questions were asked because she was interested in childcare - she was just nosy.
MarinaVanessa 12:58 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:

I had a mom ask me if it would be easier for me to nurse her dd too since I was nursing my son!!

Yeah, because you're going to so be willing to either split your son's breast milk supply in half so you can give some to her own son or start to produce twice as much milk in order to have enough for two.
midaycare 01:22 PM 08-11-2015

That's just wrong. I love these kiddos, but I have to draw the line in the sand at breastfeeding them.
DaveA 05:20 AM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I wonder how much of it is because people just don't get childcare as a business. If someone calls an electrician the job is pretty definable (lights come on, no sparks fly) and the bill is itemized (parts, supplies, labor). To many people childcare is something nebulous that anyone can do where the money paid is just to "play with kids" In my shop I have a set formula for pricing but I get asked questions about pricing/ cost/ profit all the time. Because they don't get it as a business. I flew to Atlanta to a show years ago next to an accountant who practically asked for my W2 and income/expense sheets. Sometimes people are just too darn nosy.

Never got asked THAT, but I did have a nursing potential DCM ask me if I would use this contraption she had for DCD to help "simulate the nursing experience". The only way I could describe it was a padded bib with 2 slots to hold a bottle upside down. Yep- she wanted me to wear a fake boob and got offended when I laughed and said "Yeah- not happening." one of several reasons that family got told they were not a good fit.
Blackcat31 05:38 AM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I wonder how much of it is because people just don't get childcare as a business. If someone calls an electrician the job is pretty definable (lights come on, no sparks fly) and the bill is itemized (parts, supplies, labor). To many people childcare is something nebulous that anyone can do where the money paid is just to "play with kids" In my shop I have a set formula for pricing but I get asked questions about pricing/ cost/ profit all the time. Because they don't get it as a business. I flew to Atlanta to a show years ago next to an accountant who practically asked for my W2 and income/expense sheets. Sometimes people are just too darn nosy.
I think the answer to that would be about 99%.

I think most, if not all problems with families IS that they simply do not understand the business.

I've heard on more than one occasion that the number one qualifier to being a child care provider is having "babysat since they were 10"...or something along those lines.. I have NO idea where that thought process came from because I KNOW this job is nothing like babysitting when I was a kid.
Rockgirl 05:56 AM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I wonder how much of it is because people just don't get childcare as a business. If someone calls an electrician the job is pretty definable (lights come on, no sparks fly) and the bill is itemized (parts, supplies, labor). To many people childcare is something nebulous that anyone can do where the money paid is just to "play with kids"
My elderly aunt commented on a cute pic of kids on my daycare fb page. She said something about me having a fun "job", and yes, she used quotation marks.
Sugaree 10:02 AM 08-12-2015
I think the answer to that would be about 99%.

I think most, if not all problems with families IS that they simply do not understand the business.

I've heard on more than one occasion that the number one qualifier to being a child care provider is having "babysat since they were 10"...or something along those lines.. I have NO idea where that thought process came from because I KNOW this job is nothing like babysitting when I was a kid.
As a parent, I get that this is a business and has to be run accordingly.

However, after being the backup care for my oldest goddaughter I realized that I would absolutely have to have a center rather than an in-home care provider. My BFF's in-home care provider kept increasing the number of days each year that she was taking as PTO. By the end it was something like 35 days a year (if I remember correctly it was 10 holidays, 2 weeks in the summer, the week of her birthday, the week of her anniversary, the day of her husband's birthday, and the day of each of her 4 kids birthdays). I understand that it is her right to run her business the way she wants, but I'm also guessing that cost her quite a few families in the end. I'm lucky enough to now have a job that gives me PTO/holidays, but I don't get that much.
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:

However, after being the backup care for my oldest goddaughter I realized that I would absolutely have to have a center rather than an in-home care provider. My BFF's in-home care provider kept increasing the number of days each year that she was taking as PTO. By the end it was something like 35 days a year (if I remember correctly it was 10 holidays, 2 weeks in the summer, the week of her birthday, the week of her anniversary, the day of her husband's birthday, and the day of each of her 4 kids birthdays). I understand that it is her right to run her business the way she wants, but I'm also guessing that cost her quite a few families in the end. I'm lucky enough to now have a job that gives me PTO/holidays, but I don't get that much.
I wouldn't say that those circumstances apply to all in-home providers.

I am an in-home provider and have never taken more than 10-14 days off a year MAX. I would say that the provider in your example is probably a "rare" situation although I have heard worse so I dunno....

I just know there are no providers in my area that take that kind of time off and manage to stay in business long.
laundrymom 11:33 AM 08-12-2015
I take typical holidays, 5 pa days that I schedule a year in advance, two unpaid weeks vaca. and unless someone dies, that's it.
LysesKids 11:41 AM 08-12-2015
I wouldn't say that those circumstances apply to all in-home providers.

I am an in-home provider and have never taken more than 10-14 days off a year MAX. I would say that the provider in your example is probably a "rare" situation although I have heard worse so I dunno....

I just know there are no providers in my area that take that kind of time off and manage to stay in business long.
I take off 20 unpaid days... 6 are federal Holidays the others are split into 2 vacations 6 months apart (one of those is Christmas week) and my families are always told by Jan 2 of each year what the years calendar looks like - been in business 15 years in 7 different states
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I take off 20 unpaid days... 6 are federal Holidays the others are split into 2 vacations 6 months apart (one of those is Christmas week) and my families are always told by Jan 2 of each year what the years calendar looks like - been in business 15 years in 7 different states
I don't think 20 is unreasonable. Especially since your families are told so far in advance.

Personally, I think 35 is a bit excessive.

Definitely not something I would agree to as a parent.
LysesKids 12:16 PM 08-12-2015
I don't think 20 is unreasonable. Especially since your families are told so far in advance.

Personally, I think 35 is a bit excessive.

Definitely not something I would agree to as a parent.
Mine are unpaid including the 6 Holidays... that one provider was taking PTO; much different lol
Play Care 12:48 PM 08-12-2015
Eh, without knowing the situation, I wouldn't think anything. I have mostly teachers kids and mainly work a school calendar schedule. As honest and upfront as I am during interviews with parents about my schedule, I still have parents who work more traditional jobs want to sign on because of the other aspects of my program. I have turned some of these away in the past because I knew as soon as they realized I meant it when I said school calendar schedule, the poo would hit the fan.
I'm sure the dcd who just left last June probably complained about my days "off" even though he begged me to take dcg because I transport to preschool and am one of the few providers who do. Initially I had told him no.

Between my vacations, holidays, snow days, etc. I'm sure I'm pretty close to what some would consider unacceptable.
midaycare 01:02 PM 08-12-2015

The only time I have seen this amount of time off is because a provider is starting to retire.

I take 10 days a year, but all of my parents have them off. Thanksgiving and the day after, 24th-26th of Dec, and Dec 31st and Jan 1st. And Dec 31 because it's my bday. Then Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. I may take up to an additional 2 weeks, but I've always had a sub, and last year used only 6 of those days. So parents didn't lose any daycare except the 10 days; most of those holidays for all of them.

I see very few providers take enough vacations and we often get worked to death!
Sugaree 04:40 AM 08-13-2015
The only time I have seen this amount of time off is because a provider is starting to retire.

I take 10 days a year, but all of my parents have them off. Thanksgiving and the day after, 24th-26th of Dec, and Dec 31st and Jan 1st. And Dec 31 because it's my bday. Then Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. I may take up to an additional 2 weeks, but I've always had a sub, and last year used only 6 of those days. So parents didn't lose any daycare except the 10 days; most of those holidays for all of them.

I see very few providers take enough vacations and we often get worked to death!
BFF actually assumed that retirement was the case when all this went down. This was almost 7 years ago and she's still taking a few kids here and there. I know at the time she was complaining about all of her families "abandoning" her.

She's also a bit of a nutcase, so there's that.
DaisyMamma 04:45 AM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Every time I see this thread, I think with my sarcastic side and think I would tell someone "Oh I dunno, maybe they lock them in the closet", Of course the professional side of me would never say that.
In my mind I say...not my effen problem. Then I smile and say ...
midaycare 04:51 AM 08-13-2015
BFF actually assumed that retirement was the case when all this went down. This was almost 7 years ago and she's still taking a few kids here and there. I know at the time she was complaining about all of her families "abandoning" her.

She's also a bit of a nutcase, so there's that.
Tee hee. Better she not be watching bff's kids then, I think!
BabyMonkeys 07:09 AM 08-13-2015
I had a the same woman ask all three of these questions in an interview:

You won't hit my baby because the bible says "use the rod to make the child be good" will you? Can you make your house a God free home while my baby is there? - I don't preach to the kids, but I'm nothing to make my home God free

Is your husband Spanish or black. Does he hit you? What color is your husband? Does he hit you?

You have to keep your dog outside so it doesn't eat my baby. I will call licensing on you if you don't! I told her to hold on and I would get her the number. She hung up.

* One of the very first things I tell people is that I have a dog that has access to the entire house, and that it is non-negotiable. I don't want to waste either of our time.
aemcclane 08:27 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:
My dh always asks what dcp's are going to do when I take off time. He always says to "put myself in other people's shoes." I always tell him, "Well time off comes with the territory. I'm not a drone and my family comes first. I don't care what they have to do. If they can't figure things out and they leave, I have a waiting list of others hoping to get in."
YES! Mine too and it drives me bonkers!!! My DH takes time off without a second thought but freaks out when I consider vacation time or sick time.
Tags:funny parent questions, parents, parents - don't want kids, parents - dont know how, silly requests
Reply Up