Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question: Warm Outside but Parent Thinks its Cold
hottie8962 08:10 PM 03-04-2020
What would u do in this situation. Its starting to get warmer outside a parent thinks its not warm enough. So a few weeks ago it was colder the kids were home sick on and off we stayed inside about 3 weeks just to get fully better.It is now very warm 75 degrees today and this week and next will between 70 and 80 degrees. Mom mention i would rather keep her in for now.i said now that no one is sick and its getting nicer we would like to take the kids out to play like i always do .i asked why she said basically i think its warm ,but she said she thinks its not warm enough .how long for her kid to stay in she said once its consistently warm she can go out in a couple weeks cause its kinda cool still.I dont no what to do ,i am not gonna be keeping everyone inside that long.Would u still go out and not tell her.I cant afford to lose a kid at the moment.
Michael 08:38 PM 03-04-2020
Perhaps you could use our temperature graph to make your point:

Msdunny 04:49 AM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by hottie8962:
What would u do in this situation. Its starting to get warmer outside a parent thinks its not warm enough. So a few weeks ago it was colder the kids were home sick on and off we stayed inside about 3 weeks just to get fully better.It is now very warm 75 degrees today and this week and next will between 70 and 80 degrees. Mom mention i would rather keep her in for now.i said now that no one is sick and its getting nicer we would like to take the kids out to play like i always do .i asked why she said basically i think its warm ,but she said she thinks its not warm enough .how long for her kid to stay in she said once its consistently warm she can go out in a couple weeks cause its kinda cool still.I dont no what to do ,i am not gonna be keeping everyone inside that long.Would u still go out and not tell her.I cant afford to lose a kid at the moment.
You couldn't pay me enough to stay inside once it starts getting warm. I would let mom know we WILL be going outside to play, and she is welcome to pick her child up during that time, but that otherwise she will be going out with us. That temperature is plenty warm enough to go out. Plus the fresh air will help with everyone getting over colds and prevent them continuing to pass germs around. She would be hard pressed to find a place that will willingly keep her child inside when the weather warms up. Maybe she needs a nanny?
Cat Herder 05:15 AM 03-05-2020
I would tell her that legally the kids must go outside for fresh air and large muscle movement daily. She is welcome, however, to supply her child with some sweats and a jacket to go over her clothing to keep her child comfortable outdoors.

It is possible Mom is dealing with a little anemia, herself, and feels colder than most people. Other than offering Mom some beef jerky and iron tablets the clothing compromise would be my best offer.
LittleExplorers 06:18 AM 03-05-2020
I am in MN and we got out at a temp of 0 degrees or above. It may be a very short time, but we go out. My reply would be she is welcome to keep her little one home if she doesn't want them outside.
Former Teacher 07:39 AM 03-05-2020
I agree with all the others. The mom is welcomed to pick up or keep Snowflake home.

That being said, I would also explain to her that if a child can't participate in ALL activities, then they can't be at daycare.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 03-05-2020
So what temp does DCM think is warm enough??

I am baking just thinking about 70-80F temps....

If it gets much hotter than that, the children would be at risk for other heat related issues, sun burn, heat stroke, dehydration etc...

I would just give mom the option...
"DCM, We go outside daily at XX time. You can pick up DCK prior to that time if you want to keep her inside"

Either that or offer to hire an assistant that can supervise her child inside while the rest of you are outside. Of course DCM would have to pay that additional expense.

Usually when you offer that solution, the parent suddenly rethinks their wishes and their child will miraculously be perfectly fine to go outside.
Valerie928 09:12 AM 03-05-2020

This parent is naive. Being outside, especially in 70 degree weather will not create or exacerbate illness. I would give anything for 70 degree weather! It is supposed to be 47 here on Saturday, a heat wave!
CeriBear 06:03 AM 03-07-2020
I’d tell mommy that we are required to go outside when the weather permits. Children need to get fresh air and be able to run, jump, climb, and explore. If she is so worried that snowflake might melt or get sick she can pick her up early.

If mommy thinks 70 degrees is to cold what does she consider warm enough to go outside. 80? 90?

I once had a mom tell me that snowflake needed to wear a coat if the temperature was below 60. I’m not talking about a jacket or a sweater but a puffy ski parka complete with hood. She didn’t want him to get chilled and take a cold.
Tags:outside play weather, weather charts
Reply Up