Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Single Parent Owners?
Tweety 07:51 AM 04-29-2014
I am in the middle of trying to get everything together to hopefully be my own boss and have my own child care center .....I would love to here from single parents and about your experiences I am myself a single parent no help what so ever so moneys really tight and I work at childcare not making much enough to get by guess but could be more which why I want to work for myself and doing something I love and have experience with I really don't want to start out of my home as I rent and it's just not going to happen...I was thinking of getting loans and grants and either getting a house for daycare or renting out space idk.... but anyhow I would love to hear from others who have a similar situation to chime in on the struggles if any you had starting and any tips or advice
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by Tweety:
I am in the middle of trying to get everything together to hopefully be my own boss and have my own child care center .....I would love to here from single parents and about your experiences I am myself a single parent no help what so ever so moneys really tight and I work at childcare not making much enough to get by guess but could be more which why I want to work for myself and doing something I love and have experience with I really don't want to start out of my home as I rent and it's just not going to happen...I was thinking of getting loans and grants and either getting a house for daycare or renting out space idk.... but anyhow I would love to hear from others who have a similar situation to chime in on the struggles if any you had starting and any tips or advice
I understand how managing your own child could be difficult without a second parent present but owning and operating a business can be difficult for anyone no matter their marital status.

Being a child care provider is not a wealthy profession by any means and the uncertainty of this business is always present. My advice to you is to connect with resources available to you in your area to find support and possible financial assistance via your local Child Care Resource & Referral offices as well as try to network with area providers as they are a wealth of information in regards to your area and what the general atmosphere is like in child care.

I also suggest posting and participating in the conversations and threads on this site as the members here are always helpful, supportive and full of good ideas.

Good luck in your new adventure! Doing something you love definitely helps!
bklsmum 09:13 AM 04-29-2014
I am a single parent and I run my daycare out of my home. I rent a single family house and I have had my daycare almost a year now. I started out just using my regular areas but have since modified things to have certain areas for the daycare. It was really hard at first but has gotten easier over time, especially since I hired my amazing assistant. Good luck!
Tweety 09:28 AM 04-29-2014
Thank you Blackcat I'm in Texas Houston to be exact and I've been reading through a lot so I have an understanding and I pretty much have the training, degree etc I need to get started just trying to figure it all lol I really want to run one outside my home
Tweety 10:01 AM 04-29-2014
bklsmum Thank you! I'm very much prepared that it will be hard
skybluepink02 11:27 AM 04-29-2014
I'm in the midst of getting licensed and planning to open in August. I'm a single mom of 5 year old twins.
Tweety 05:04 PM 04-29-2014
skybluepink02 Good to see there's some other single moms here do you plan to do it from your home?
missy 07:17 PM 04-30-2014
I am not technically "single" but we are not married and our finances are completely separate so I was completely on my own when I started planning for my center (which is opening this month!!) I would be happy to share my experiences with you, it has been QUITE the learning experience. But fun too:-)

Feel free to to pm me if you would like some tips/advice;-) I am in PA btw.
craftymissbeth 07:58 PM 04-30-2014
I'm single-ish... DH lives outside of the home and we are separated.

It's hard. Really hard. But it's so worth not working for someone else... I'm never been good at being an employee.

My one piece of advice is don't open a daycare thinking you'll get rich... or even be able to pay your bills and keep your head above water. This business is so up and down. Just last month I felt like I was raking it in... this month I'm pretty sure I'll have to set up a payment plan with the gas company.

I run a home daycare, so I don't have experience with opening a center. There are a few regulars here who own centers and they would have better advice than me in that perspective, whether they're single parents or not.

I will say that I would definitely consider a home daycare (I know you said your current home isn't conducive for a home daycare, though) before starting a center. Then again, I'm a big chicken when it comes to decisions so big
Tweety 08:01 PM 04-30-2014
Thank you Missy and congratulations!
Tweety 08:09 PM 04-30-2014
Craftymissbeth.... I'm so sure it will be hard and I'm not trying to get rich but I really like the working for myself thing so much I'm sure a home daycare would be nice first but yeah my home isn't set up that way and plus I rent I really prefer a center setting over anything else I'd jump right in and get the ball rolling if I could
Magic 07:19 AM 05-01-2014
Hello
I am in Canada
and I have had a licensed day care for years and have been single the whole time
it was the best decision I made ( besides my child )
I have one child, who being raised in a day care turned out an awesome kid
I raised my own child and I am still home when she gets in the door from school
I do have long days and the business end of the job is hard, ( parents , paper work , planing ex )
and then I look at my daughter and feel it is all worth it
there is lots of other perks for owning a day care and lots can be writen off
like Black Cat said , do your research , talk to other day cares, keep on this site ex....licesing in your area will help answer lots of questions ...and good luck
Tweety 06:45 AM 05-03-2014
Thanks Magic! I'm absorbing all the info I can and have been talking to others it is a lot to take in lol but I know Ican do it
Reply Up