Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constant Whining
lovemykidstoo 06:09 AM 06-22-2015
I have 2 boys ages 13 and 14 months. They both whine constantly. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard all day long. I keep trying to redirect them, but that's all they do. They both look at me with that pained look on their faces and do the eh eh eh eh cry cry cry eh eh eh. Ahhhhh! If i put food in front of them all day they would be happy. HELP!
Josiegirl 09:07 AM 06-22-2015
I'd walk away. It lasts longer if they have an audience.
cheerfuldom 09:18 AM 06-22-2015
no magic cure here that I know of. I would ignore until they grow out of it. Keep meals super structured so they know when to expect and not expect food.
NoMoreJuice! 11:56 AM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'd walk away. It lasts longer if they have an audience.
THIS!

Totally ignore. Don't feed it. Good luck!!

**"IT" being the bad behavior.
Unregistered 05:46 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
THIS!

Totally ignore. Don't feed it. Good luck!!

**"IT" being the bad behavior.
I have to say, this made me die laughing.
NoMoreJuice! 05:53 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have to say, this made me die laughing.
Haha! I reread it after I posted and thought "Eeek, someone will think I meant to starve the children!"
AuntTami 04:54 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Haha! I reread it after I posted and thought "Eeek, someone will think I meant to starve the children!"
Whatever it takes to get the whining to stop lol jk.

Yes ignore. I have a 2 year old that does it and it drives me crazy. He's gotten to the point where if he does it long enough, I point to the "calm down corner" and he goes and whines in there until he's done lol. Whining is my #1 pet peeve and it's the first problem I nip in the bud when kids start. It takes about a week of constant ignoring the whining usually. And then they get it. (Usually) lol. We struggle every week because the weekends when they whine, they get held and whatever they want. Teetee doesn't hold whining kids so Monday's are usually rough.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:56 AM 06-23-2015
I have 2 year olds who like to whine when they don't get their way. I seen onetime on here to have a whiny spot. So now if one of them starts to whine I just point an they go to the whining spot. Sometimes it last 3'seconds sometimes a few minutes depending on how close to nap time it is. They get no attention for it. I completely ignore it. Hey it works for my 4-year old too who thinks the world should revolve around her when she competes for my attention during daycare hours. I have been doing this whining spot for about 6 months now so I guess mine were a little older when they started.
MarinaVanessa 09:34 AM 06-23-2015
Repeat after me...

"They are clean, they are fed, they are safe, they are okay" Than walk away. When they aren't complaining that's when you lavish them with attention and hugs and reward them with praises "Ohhh, look at you little Susie. You're playing so nicely there. Thank you for being a good girl" or whatever. It works for my toddlers all the way up to my own 10 year old DD.

Now on my own kids (10, 4 and almost 2) I've been known to just say "I don't understand Whinese" and walk away ... that works too.
lovemykidstoo 05:29 PM 06-23-2015
Thanks ladies. I am trying to ignore but boy sometimes grrr! lol. Then God forbid I have something to eat and those 2 see it. eh eh eh eh eh eh eh Gonna scream now!
Unregistered 07:03 AM 06-24-2015
I second or third a calm down/whine spot. I soft cozy place where they can chill out, hug a pillow, look at a glitter/sequin bottle, etc. they need to learn to self-regulate!

I'd put the calm down spot away from the action, but not treat it as a punishment.

Also, give them lots of positive attention when they are not whining-high fives, claps of approval, reading them a book in your lap, pats on the back, etc. catch them being good! Give zero attention to the whining.

Are they tired? Do they need a morning nap. Maybe they take one already. Do they need a drink of cool water? Sometimes kids are dehydrated.

I'm a hugger so I hug kids too.
KiddieCahoots 08:47 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Thanks ladies. I am trying to ignore but boy sometimes grrr! lol. Then God forbid I have something to eat and those 2 see it. eh eh eh eh eh eh eh Gonna scream now!
Are the parents feeding these children from their own food and mouth instead of offering them their own plate of food?
This is when I tend to notice the excessive whining whenever I try to eat
melilley 10:48 AM 06-24-2015
I have a 15 month old who is the same way. He cries if I get up from the table and walk over to the garbage, cries if I go to the bathroom, cries if he can't see me, cries if I get up and walk to another part of the room. It gets really frustrating! I know he's ok, so I just ignore him, but it's hard.
Tags:whining
Reply Up