Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Anyone Closed On Veteran's Day?
permanentvacation 06:29 PM 11-10-2015
I am trying to decide on what days to take as holidays. Just wondering how many daycare providers are closed on Veteran's Day. And if you are closed, is it a paid holiday for you or not?
Controlled Chaos 06:33 PM 11-10-2015
Nope. I am open. I take thanksgiving and the Friday after off though
stephanie 06:36 PM 11-10-2015
My center is open.

We are closed Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, New Year's Day, and MLK Day.
sharlan 06:37 PM 11-10-2015
I'm open and all of my kids will be here.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:38 PM 11-10-2015
Closed! I take all federal holidays paid. Am missing a bunch this year, though, as I'm closed on Fridays and many fall on Friday. SO glad for the break tomorrow; much needed.
Crazy8 06:53 PM 11-10-2015
I am open, not even our schools close for Veteran's Day.
snbauser 07:09 PM 11-10-2015
I'm closed and paid. But I cater to school employees and am closed and get paid for any day indicated as a holiday on the school calendar.
TXhomedaycare 07:12 PM 11-10-2015
I am open.
spedmommy4 07:24 PM 11-10-2015
Closed and paid.
LysesKids 07:27 PM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I am trying to decide on what days to take as holidays. Just wondering how many daycare providers are closed on Veteran's Day. And if you are closed, is it a paid holiday for you or not?
I'm closed on the 6 Major Federal Holidays, open on the minor ones (i.e. tomorrow). I also plan one of my two, one week vacations (10 days inc weekends if planned right) so it hits a Holiday & or two as in the case of Christmas & NewYear this year. When I take my May vacation, I end up with 10 days straight if I start on the Saturday the week before Memorial day (one of my 6 holidays); Never had an issue because parents know up to a year in advance when I close
childcaremom 02:35 AM 11-11-2015
Closed and paid. Here schools are closed, as well.
Josiegirl 02:54 AM 11-11-2015
Open here but wish I'd closed. Only 2 out of 6 kids will be here.
My rates are for 52 weeks a year. Took me a long time to change that in my policies and nobody batted an eye. This is a huge burn-out profession, we need breaks too!
DaveA 03:35 AM 11-11-2015
I'm open, but will only have 1/2 my dcks
KidGrind 03:42 AM 11-11-2015
I am closed and paid.
Play Care 04:58 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I'm closed and paid. But I cater to school employees and am closed and get paid for any day indicated as a holiday on the school calendar.
Me too.

I only have one non teacher client and both she and her husband have jobs with work from home options.

Of course, tomorrow our elementary school is closed for parent conferences so I'll have a full house anyway.
e.j. 05:16 AM 11-11-2015
I'm also closed and paid.
Controlled Chaos 07:02 AM 11-11-2015
I would be closed if the schools were closed, but all out school are open. No one here except federal employees are off and have no dcps who are federal employees.
daycare 07:51 AM 11-11-2015
Open but taking off wed- fri. For thanksgiving
Baby Beluga 07:55 AM 11-11-2015
I'm open today. Half of our schools are closed and half are open depending on the district they are in.
Thriftylady 07:56 AM 11-11-2015
I am open. School is open. Everyone's work is open. I just take the major holidays.
Pepperth 08:00 AM 11-11-2015
I wish. Even the banks here don't close for Veterans Day. I have full house.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:10 AM 11-11-2015
I stayed open, but no one needed childcare today anyway I am closed on New Year's day, Memorial Day, Independence day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's eve (although sometimes I will still provide childcare that day if I have at least two families needing it. Extra income ). I do not charge for the days I am closed, but thinking very seriously about changing that.
A little off topic, but so far I don't have anyone scheduled for the entire week of Thanksgiving! Looks like I may be getting an extra vacation
daycare 08:15 AM 11-11-2015
wow....all of our Public schools are closed and banks too...
BUt I do know that some private schools are open...
Annalee 08:24 AM 11-11-2015
I am closed spending the day with my sons. Going to the hunting store to Christmas shop. Am on My phone so i hope this posts.
Claraskids 10:48 AM 11-11-2015
Open, but all of my own kids are home due to a nasty cold. They are resting in their rooms. The schools are open, so it wouldn't occur to me not to be.
Ironically, my husband is a vet and has the day off just due to his work schedule. We're glad to have him home.
Thriftylady 10:55 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
Open, but all of my own kids are home due to a nasty cold. They are resting in their rooms. The schools are open, so it wouldn't occur to me not to be.
Ironically, my husband is a vet and has the day off just due to his work schedule. We're glad to have him home.
I think all vets should be off on Veterans day. But most jobs just won't do that. I think it would be an awesome way to say thank you is give a day off with pay. It isn't the well paying job many assume it is and it is sure not easy. I know how hard it is having hubby away in the semi for just a week at a time then get to see him for 34 hours. I can't imagine it being months at a time, and knowing he was in danger the whole time.

Anyway to all the Vets and families here, thank you!
Tags:closed days, veterans day
Reply Up