Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got Into It With DCM At Drop Off
wdmmom 06:30 AM 10-25-2011
So a DCM started knocking on the door at 728am. I don't open until 730am so the door remained closed.

(Last week was the week for early arrivals. I reminded everyone AGAIN of my hours and that they don't like going into work early without any extra compensation, it's the same here.)

DCM knocked first...to which I was in the bathroom and heard but I wasn't running anytime soon. I was still getting ready.

Then she proceeded to ring the doorbell! Everyone knows NOT to ring my doorbell in the morning! I find it rude and my kids are still sometimes sleeping.

So at 730am, I finally answer the door. I told her that I will not open the door any earlier because too many parents have taken advantage. First it's 2 minutes, then 5, then 7, then 15 and so on.

She proceeded to argue with me that she has a 715am drop off. (Mind you I've been working for this family for almost 7 months and DCB has never been dropped off at 715am.) She said if she wants to come at 715am, she will and that's the time she gave me.

After she left, I reviewed the paperwork. Her contract says 730am for a drop off time. My notes that I took during the interview say 715-730am.

This all comes AFTER I emailed all of my daycare parents an email about the early arrivals and a reminder that my hours are 730am - 530pm.

I hate to lose this family because they've been great this far, but something has got to give. She also proceeded to tell me that she has a meeting in a neighboring city on Nov 8th and that she will need to drop off at 7am and pick up a half hour late! I didn't agree to this! And, even if I do it, we need to discuss money. The way it's worded in my contract is $10 for every 15 minutes. Do I really charge her $40 for an extra hour?!
AfterSchoolMom 06:35 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by :
She said if she wants to come at 715am, she will
I can't believe that you'd say "I'd hate to lose this family" after she stood in YOUR home and spoke to you that way. I'd have had a hard time not telling her where to stick it.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 10-25-2011
Yeah, I agree with AfterSchoolMom, I can't believe that mom had such attitude with you! I also completely understand not wanting ot lose this family but I would be so uncomfortable with her condescending attitude about how she will do as she wants. It is almost as if she is challenging you to see if she will get her way.

I would tell her that she needs to make arrangements for someone else to drop off and pick up on the day she has that meeting. Simply because of her attitude, I wouldn't really want to go out of my way to do anything extra (payment or not).

How are you going handle the morning drop off? Is she going to be 7:30 or 7:15? If she is an earlier drop off, is it outside of your normal hours and she will be paying more for earlier drop off or is it just part of her contracted hours.

Wow, I do commend you for not blowing your top after she made that comment though...
laundrymom 06:57 AM 10-25-2011
Siged contract says 730, drop off is 730. Make her a copy of it and invoice her for the day she is wanting extra care. Have her pay in full in advance.
daycare 07:00 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Siged contract says 730, drop off is 730. Make her a copy of it and invoice her for the day she is wanting extra care. Have her pay in full in advance.
Ha she obviously didn't read your contract/pbh.

I agree with above. She signed your PHB follow it.
Crystal 07:14 AM 10-25-2011
Curious as to how her contract ended up being a 7:30 drop off but in the interview you noted 7:15-7:30?
wdmmom 07:15 AM 10-25-2011
Oh, I let her how it was going to be. I open at 730am. Not a minute sooner. She can come as early as she wants. Park down the street and wait until 730am.

I think the only reason she came off with an attitude is because I did first.

I'm tired of being taken advantage of, I will not work extra and not be compensated. 730am is 730am, not a minute before.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if she decided to leave and believe me, I wouldn't mind that much considering I have a waiting list for an infant spot.
wdmmom 07:17 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Curious as to how her contract ended up being a 7:30 drop off but in the interview you noted 7:15-7:30?
Because during the original interview, I ask for projected drop off and pick up times. I wrote in my notes 715-730am drop off. On the paperwork I have every parent fill out, she wrote 730am as a drop off time.
laundrymom 07:34 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Because during the original interview, I ask for projected drop off and pick up times. I wrote in my notes 715-730am drop off. On the paperwork I have every parent fill out, she wrote 730am as a drop off time.
Rofl,... SHE WROTE 730????? Lolololol. She gets 730!!!
cheerfuldom 07:37 AM 10-25-2011
She gets 7:30, don't even mention your notes. Do not take her child that extra early morning/late day. It would be best to keep very strict to your policy at this point and enforce that early/late is not negotiable.
mom2many 07:42 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I would make a copy of the paperwork that she filled out showing this time and explain that this is also consistent with her signed contract. I would tell her if she needs to drop off earlier or pick up later, then the rate increases accordingly.
Unregistered 07:45 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I can't believe that you'd say "I'd hate to lose this family" after she stood in YOUR home and spoke to you that way. I'd have had a hard time not telling her where to stick it.
First off let me say that I understand how you feel

but two minutes before open and you wrote in your notes in could be 7:15

So many of you are quick to terminate. I know it's hard for most of us to get kids, esp if we have not been in business for years and established. Economy is hard right now.

I understand being taken advantage of but I also feel you have to have understanding and be a little flexible with clients.

Am I alone here? Or is everyone this strict with their family's? I am not promoting being taken advantage of and understand it can be 2 minutes then escalate.
MarinaVanessa 07:49 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Also quoting laundrymom here because, well it is what it is. She said and signed 7:30. Make a copy that interview sheet and one of her contract, show it to her and remind her that you have always been willing to work with her but she has to communicate with you, just like you have been communicating with her (ex: notice to remind everyone about your opening hours).

Remind her that if she needs you a little earlier than the agreed drop-off time that she needs to run it by you first but that she shouldn't just expect you to do it. Point out that telling someone that they have to do something is completely different than having someone ask you to do something and that she can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar.

Explain that your opening time is 7:30 and that if she occasionally needs an earlier drop off then that will be fine but she has to pay accordingly since her fees only cover her contracted hours. I would deffinetely point out to her that she signed for 7:30 and has never once dropped off before 7:30. I do think that you have to point that out. If she decides to get smart mouthy and tell you she needs to change her contract just charge her time-and-a-half for any time before 7:30 that you agree to do.

As for what you are going to charge her, well that depends on you. If you don't mind watching dck a little earlier (it was just her delivery that bothered you) then you could work something out with her that you are both comfortable with. If your policies say that you charge $10 for every 15 minutes and that's what you feel is compensation enough then do that.

I for one have a "$5 for every 15 minutes" policy if they are late or earlier than their contracted times with no notice. If however they ask me and I agree to take a child earlier or later I charge $5 an hour. It helps keep the unnanounced late/early drop-offs and pick-ups to a minimum. Maybe you can offer something like that and charge a fee that you are comfortable with.
Crystal 07:56 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

So many of you are quick to terminate. I know it's hard for most of us to get kids, esp if we have not been in business for years and established. Economy is hard right now.

I understand being taken advantage of but I also feel you have to have understanding and be a little flexible with clients.

Am I alone here? Or is everyone this strict with their family's? I am not promoting being taken advantage of and understand it can be 2 minutes then escalate.
Nah, you're not alone. I think getting yourself worked up over two minutes is a waste of time and energy. It's not worth the added stress that causes, for me anyways.
boysx5 07:57 AM 10-25-2011
I term a a dcm for this one time a long time ago each day she would come early and I let then one morning I was dropping off my oldest son at school who had a project to bring in and she tried to drop early and was annoyed that I wasn't there when she was suppose to b 7:30 well she left a nasty message and came with an attitude well I gave it right back and gave her two weeks notice. She came later that evening and had flowers and candy but I told no thanks I would not be treated that way
wdmmom 08:16 AM 10-25-2011
Nah, you're not alone. I think getting yourself worked up over two minutes is a waste of time and energy. It's not worth the added stress that causes, for me anyways.
After just sending out an email last week because of early drop offs, I'm staying strict. Over the course of the past few years, I've found out that 2 minutes will turn into 15 by the end of the week if you don't say anything.

Parent's need to be considerate and respectful. Regardless of 2 minutes, I could have been in the bathroom, I could have been tossing in laundry, I could have had my hands in dishwater, etc. All of which would have taken a few minutes to get yourself together to get to the door.
DaycareMomma 08:39 AM 10-25-2011
I agree with you that you don't open your door til 7:30. The time before that is used to get yourself and your family and the daycare ready for the day. Give a parent an inch, most will take a mile.

I have a mom that is contracted to start at 8:30, she'll call at 8:29 and say that she won't be here til 9:15 (that way she won't get the $5 late fee for not calling to say she'd be late by her start time). Well 9:15 will roll around and she's still not here.... Then all of a sudden she'll show up at 9:45 and be as happy as a clam!!!! I've been relaxed on her late fees up until now. I'm done getting pushed around... So I'm starting to write down everything and it will be on her bill this week... She will learn hopefully.
MyAngels 08:58 AM 10-25-2011

No, you're not alone. I'm not generally as strict with my families, but I have great families who do not seem to want to take advantage of every little thing, either.

If I had a bunch of "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" types I might be a lot more strict.
awestbrook713 09:11 AM 10-25-2011
I have learned give an inch they try to take a mile. Stick to your contract its your business you are in control and the second you bend here or there they will try to over throw you.
Ariana 09:29 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
I have learned give an inch they try to take a mile. Stick to your contract its your business you are in control and the second you bend here or there they will try to over throw you.
Definately this. I have learned this as well. This wasn't the first time it happened so this is why she's being so strict about it now. Also couldn;t the parent have offered an apology instead of demands?? It just shows a lack of respect.

I used to work in a retail store and our opening hours were at 10am. The owner would not open a minute earlier so to each their own.
PitterPatter 09:29 AM 10-25-2011
I agree with once you allow a couple minutes early it gets earlier each time. I do allow a few minutes early if they happen to get there early. Traffic is always different. If it comes to 10 or 15 minutes early and more often then I say something but a few minutes is not a problem now and then. I do have a problem with how she spoke to you! I would be handing her a copy of the time she agreed to. I am so done with being walked on and will not tolerate attitude anymore. I am flexible but only when I am respected! I hope she apologizes but in my experience that's not likely to happen.
Unregistered 10:07 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
No, you're not alone. I'm not generally as strict with my families, but I have great families who do not seem to want to take advantage of every little thing, either.

If I had a bunch of "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" types I might be a lot more strict.
This is me too~
DCMom 10:16 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

This is how I feel. My families are pretty good about letting me know if they need to drop off a little early or pick up a little late. That being said, they often pick up early too, so I think it all evens out in the end.

I also don't have contracted times for arrival/departure. I'm open when I'm open and and closed when I'm closed. Everyone generally comes and goes at approximately the same times everyday, so I don't really worry about a few minutes here or there.
AfterSchoolMom 12:14 PM 10-25-2011

I have no problem with being flexible with clients that treat me with respect. I'd definitely have a problem with someone coming into my home and speaking to me with such attitude and condescension, then expecting special treatment. That wouldn't exactly give me any warm fuzzies toward them.
Crystal 12:34 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I have no problem with being flexible with clients that treat me with respect. I'd definitely have a problem with someone coming into my home and speaking to me with such attitude and condescension, then expecting special treatment. That wouldn't exactly give me any warm fuzzies toward them.
I think that is how the Mom was feeling. OP said that she was the one with the attitude first because she was upset. Now, I agree Mom had no right demanding that she'll drop off at 7:15 if she wants.....but I imagine after being made to stand outside with her child over a measely 2 minutes that she wasn't happy herself.

Maybe OP and parents should synchronize their clocks.....by Mom's clock it may have been 7:30
wdmmom 12:41 PM 10-25-2011
I think that is how the Mom was feeling. OP said that she was the one with the attitude first because she was upset. Now, I agree Mom had no right demanding that she'll drop off at 7:15 if she wants.....but I imagine after being made to stand outside with her child over a measely 2 minutes that she wasn't happy herself.

Maybe OP and parents should synchronize their clocks.....by Mom's clock it may have been 7:30
Daycare parents were notified back in June of my new hours. No one mentioned anything. Last week everyone got an email because of early arrivals (not this particular DCM.) In this email I suggested they check the clock on their cell phones. If it's 730am, it's business time, if not, wait.

Like I mentioned, it would be no different than if I was using the restroom. Be patient and wait. In this case, you come early, you wait. No difference.
Tags:early arrival, early arrival - policy
Reply Up