Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Burning Trash!
daycarediva 09:49 AM 09-24-2013
AND....I think it's plastic or styrofoam. The entire house/yard REEK. I called the cops, since fire pits/trash burning/bonfires are illegal here. I ran in and closed the windows the second we got back from our walk but the damage is done.

This is the third time this month, and we have already (dh) asked them nicely to please stop. Our son has severe allergies/asthma and with the weather cooler, we were really enjoying the windows open since we have had the A/C on because of the hepa filtration system all spring/summer long. GRRR!

I have also let the cops know that TECHNICALLY they are doing it on my property, as it is literally a foot from my fence, and we own 4 feet out but couldn't fence there due to there being a gas line. (which is where the neighbors moved the barrel to after dh asked them to stop)

I swear they do it on purpose! They are late 30's exec's with no kids and no intention of having kids who bought a house in the middle of the suburbs, next to a HOME DAY CARE (large sign out front, realtor gave them my card, just in case) and COMPLAIN ABOUT THE KIDS.
Scout 10:02 AM 09-24-2013
ugh, nothing like the smell of burning carcinogens! I feel for you, I hate that smell and certainly wouldn't want it around my house or kids, dck or my own!
momofboys 10:21 AM 09-24-2013
Ughhh we have gone through that with my neighbors. And it was not fun. We live in a small town & although we have large yards (@ 3/4-1 full acre) our neighbor was what I call someone who likes/enjoys burning things . He would not always burn trash (in fact not sure if he ever did) but he would burn yard brush/branches, etc. Okay, fine but he would do it when it was nice & we wanted windows open & of course we had to close them all b/c it stunk to high heavens & smoke was getting in our home. My husband talked to him nicely about it but then we stopped being nice b/c he never altered anything. We called the fire dept on him & he BLEW UP. 2 of our kids had asthma at the time. It ended up causing lot of not-so-nice behavior from our neighbor. We were out for a walk once & he was out walking on the opposite side of the street yelling at us I was so upset b/c I hated knowing our neighbor loathed us. We never said "stop burning" - just please try to limit it to 1-2x a month & do it when the wind is blowing away from us. Of course I also realized that when the wind was blowing "away" it was likely affecting some other poor soul.

So did the cops make him put it out or cite him???? We have since mended fences with our neighbor & he only burns stuff @ 1x a month - we give him produce from our garden & they treat us to homemade pizza on occasion!
Unregistered 10:43 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
AND....I think it's plastic or styrofoam. The entire house/yard REEK. I called the cops, since fire pits/trash burning/bonfires are illegal here. I ran in and closed the windows the second we got back from our walk but the damage is done.

This is the third time this month, and we have already (dh) asked them nicely to please stop. Our son has severe allergies/asthma and with the weather cooler, we were really enjoying the windows open since we have had the A/C on because of the hepa filtration system all spring/summer long. GRRR!

I have also let the cops know that TECHNICALLY they are doing it on my property, as it is literally a foot from my fence, and we own 4 feet out but couldn't fence there due to there being a gas line. (which is where the neighbors moved the barrel to after dh asked them to stop)

I swear they do it on purpose! They are late 30's exec's with no kids and no intention of having kids who bought a house in the middle of the suburbs, next to a HOME DAY CARE (large sign out front, realtor gave them my card, just in case) and COMPLAIN ABOUT THE KIDS.
Next time they do it, walk over with a big bucket of water and put it out for them and say "I think it's ILLEGAL to burn trash here, so I helped you put it out" They may be trying to annoy you and now it's your turn to get even. Then next time the complain about the kids say "Well, you moved in here KNOWING there were kids and even a daycare here, so suck it up buttercup!" I hate living in neighborhoods but the one we're in now is much quieter than the loud area I was in before. Our back neighbors burned trash UNDER their deck in a WIND STORM in COLORADO after we had JUST gone through a very destructive Waldo Canyon fire. Then this summer, we went through it all over again only WORSE with many fires and 2 of those that destroyed a lot of a town across the highway from the FIRST fire, and another that happened to destroy a popular tourist area. Fire is not an area I'll play in. I will put them out and they can get mad all they want and MOVE if they don't like me, especially if I was there in the neighborhood before them
!
itlw8 11:12 AM 09-24-2013
go get some stakes and line and stake the property line and post no trespassing signs on the line... Plus make sure you mow that strip.

Then since that burn barrel is on your property call as ask if you can throw it away I agree keep calling, keep putting it out with water and also roll it off your property as soon as it cools down. Bad thing is if it is on your property and not their YOU would get the ticket.
Leigh 01:29 PM 09-24-2013
I have been there, too! I had a neighbor that only burned in their pit when the wind was strong in my direction because he didn't want it blowing toward his house. He started FOUR grass fires in 10 years (big ones that burned several acres). Not once was he cited for his illegal burning. He would burn during burn bans, he would burn tires and asphalt shingles. OOOh, I hated that man!

If the barrel is on your property, I would simply remove it. Yes, it shouldn't be YOUR problem to remove it, but I would throw it out. If it's on your property, it IS your property, IMO. If you're not up for that, I'd phone the police next time they do it (and every time after). Really, right next to your fence? IMO, that's gotta be TOO CLOSE to your home.
Tags:neighbor issue
Reply Up