Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default "You Are Cheaper Than Child Support..."

Yep, this is a new one...

DCD calls and and asks if I had any openings in the near future, that a co-worker of his was desperate. While discussing this co-worker's situation it seems price was an issue for him.

I repeated to DCD that I could not go lower since I only had 6 slots to pay my bills and he replied...

"Yeah, I know!! I told him you were cheaper than child support and that is where I would have landed if I had to count on DCM* to stay home with DCK*. Domestic is a four letter word around my house"....them he continued to laugh

Funny, but....um, ....ouch
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

So he is saying that they need day care even though the Mom isn't working?

I swear just when I thought I heard it all somebody says something that shocks even me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You got to be kidding! Some people! I really hope you don't take this child in the future. It will be nothing but trouble,not from the child, but from the parents.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
So he is saying that they need day care even though the Mom isn't working?

I swear just when I thought I heard it all somebody says something that shocks even me.
DCM works part-time/non-profit/volunteers.... It is NOT uncommon around here.

Times are changing fast....or are they?

Maybe we are just going back to the days that being able to afford to hire out "menial labor" is a status thing??? IDK....

....or maybe he was dismissing me as submissive (gag ), frumpy and old fashioned....

Either way, my bills are paid and my family has me at home when they need me.... I am guilt/regret free...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
mickey2's Avatar
mickey2 mickey2 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
So he is saying that they need day care even though the Mom isn't working?

I swear just when I thought I heard it all somebody says something that shocks even me.
I had one family 2 years ago who brought me their child 3-4 days a week. They paid $120.00 a week and mom stayed home!!

The dad would drop him off in the morning and pick him up after work at night. Occasionally mom would pick him up if dad was working late. Apparently this child was a "handful" but he was not bad here. He was a very very busy little boy and had a whole lot of energy, but still a fairly good boy.

He did change though when mom or dad came to get him! It was a nightmare for mom or dad to get him to listen and go home! So sad!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You got to be kidding! Some people! I really hope you don't take this child in the future. It will be nothing but trouble,not from the child, but from the parents.
I did not take them.... This child would be 6 before I would have another opening.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Children First View Post
I had one family 2 years ago who brought me their child 3-4 days a week. They paid $120.00 a week and mom stayed home!!

The dad would drop him off in the morning and pick him up after work at night. Occasionally mom would pick him up if dad was working late. Apparently this child was a "handful" but he was not bad here. He was a very very busy little boy and had a whole lot of energy, but still a fairly good boy.

He did change though when mom or dad came to get him! It was a nightmare for mom or dad to get him to listen and go home! So sad!
Similar situation, here. I just do the "Buh-Bye at the door" routine and have had no issues.

DCP's, in the past, have expressed that they really feel they are doing the kids right by "letting" them have "friends" to play with during the week, providing a solid routine with another adult that will prepare them for pre-school, and giving them a nurturing environment that is child centered.

I agree to some extent, if the parents are unable to provide those things at home (it does not come naturally for everyone and I applaud someone who recognizes that in themselves and finds a solution), but 50 hours a week is just so extreme to me.... YKWIM?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

I stole this from another forum that was discussing this topic as well, it seems... I missed it yesterday, so I wanted to share, here, today....


http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/12/...YWORDS=daycare


What do you think??? This is the Wall Streeet Journal......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM
SandeeAR's Avatar
SandeeAR SandeeAR is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
I stole this from another forum that was discussing this topic as well, it seems... I missed it yesterday, so I wanted to share, here, today....


http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/12/...YWORDS=daycare


What do you think??? This is the Wall Streeet Journal......
Makes me even more glad, I was able to be a stay at home Mom as my girls grew up (29 & 27 y/o).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
I stole this from another forum that was discussing this topic as well, it seems... I missed it yesterday, so I wanted to share, here, today....


http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/12/...YWORDS=daycare


What do you think??? This is the Wall Streeet Journal......


The comments are worse than the article.



There's some good in it. At least now you have a truth discussion about parents and their me time. The ultimate end of this is that it becomes publicly understood AND supported.

If you noticed there was MUCH more discussion about the money part of it then the affect on the kids. There was little discussion about the affect on the kids except for the references that it was better for the kids to be with their friends then to be with the parent running errands... cuz the kid will like that better yaknow.

The thing I kept thinking while reading the article and the comments was the understanding that it is best for kids to be in child care while the parent is doing such cumbersome tasks as bill paying, laundry, working out etc. yet the providers who are caring for their kid and a group of other kids should be able to do full care AND provide a full education to boot.

Wow that's so far apart I can't see one end of it to the other.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post


The comments are worse than the article.



There's some good in it. At least now you have a truth discussion about parents and their me time. The ultimate end of this is that it becomes publicly understood AND supported.

If you noticed there was MUCH more discussion about the money part of it then the affect on the kids. There was little discussion about the affect on the kids except for the references that it was better for the kids to be with their friends then to be with the parent running errands... cuz the kid will like that better yaknow.

The thing I kept thinking while reading the article and the comments was the understanding that it is best for kids to be in child care while the parent is doing such cumbersome tasks as bill paying, laundry, working out etc. yet the providers who are caring for their kid and a group of other kids should be able to do full care AND provide a full education to boot. Wow that's so far apart I can't see one end of it to the other.
Don't forget screening/documenting for developmental delays, providing marriage counceling/financial counceling/infant care education/public assistance coordination, car seat installation specialist appointments, keeping stats for the government, inforcing immunization schedules, the newest reg. that says we can be held liable for a parent not using a carseat when leaving our property and the million other things that have been dumped in our laps the last few years....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
DBug DBug is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 934
Default

That blog and the comments made me really sad .

I honestly don't know why people choose to have children if they really aren't going to raise them -- and openly admit to that fact!

In this day and age when we have so many birth control options there is just no excuse for well-educated, high income families to have children they don't want.
__________________
www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBug View Post
That blog and the comments made me really sad .

I honestly don't know why people choose to have children if they really aren't going to raise them -- and openly admit to that fact!

In this day and age when we have so many birth control options there is just no excuse for well-educated, high income families to have children they don't want.
Ummm, yeah there is...lots of reasons, Budweiser, Chardonnay, rum, tequilla, vodka, merlot, gin, Miller, .......need I go on? LOL!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Is it going to get worse, now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_wDDO8RUbc
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
DCMomOf3's Avatar
DCMomOf3 DCMomOf3 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: my house
Posts: 1,270
Default

I get saddened at reading things like this. Children are NOT A TROPHY that you have just to say you have kids. They are an extension of ourselves and our future. I feel sorry for the people that pay someone else raise their children so they can be selfish with their time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
does not want to parent, does not want to work, entitled, me time

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging on Holidays Interested Parents and Guardians Forum 343 12-26-2019 07:28 AM
I Am Sick Of Sick Kids Coming In mickey2 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 02-01-2018 01:28 PM
Daycare Child Telling Parents Things That Have Them Question Me Constantly E Daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 25 01-08-2018 03:32 PM
Lingering DCD Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 48 08-26-2014 09:45 AM
Payment When Provider Is Out Sick Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 18 02-16-2009 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming