Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The 8 Month Old Has Better Shoes Than I Do!
Zoe 06:59 AM 10-19-2011
Sure I'd love some Manolos, but that's not gonna happen. I've accepted it.....

First the 16 month old dcg comes in with Twinkle Toes. Whatever, fine, she can walk and she's always fancy. But then the 8 month old dcb comes in with black Air Jordans! Seriously?! He can barely crawl!

The kids are fancy today people!!!
Cat Herder 07:00 AM 10-19-2011
I have it all the time, too.

It is about the other parents seeing them.

Wait until a pair gets trashed.. It is alot of fun.

Edit: I am referring to "TOY" dress up shoes, shoes with choking hazard pieces/parts (jibbitz), sounds/lights/music and any shoe that comes with a parental warning of "Please take care of..."
Zoe 07:01 AM 10-19-2011
Well that sure backfires then because they go straight into the diaper bag at drop off.
Cat Herder 07:02 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Well that sure backfires then because they go straight into the diaper bag at drop off.
I hear you!!

It is too risky for me, too...

Luckily it tends to stop around 2 years of age.
Zoe 07:05 AM 10-19-2011
I've been so tempted to go tromping through some mud on those days....
queenbee 07:27 AM 10-19-2011
I have an almost 3yo DCB who comes in almost everyday dressed to the nines. Three of his best outfits probably cost more than my whole wardrobe. And shoes! He has at least 20 different pairs that I've seen him in. And name brand stuff, too, none of that payless or Walmart brand. He's a cool dude

I also have a dcg who is 2.5 and she comes to daycare in pettiskirts and personalized clothing that, honestly, makes me wish they made this stuff when I was a child. She also has Ugg boots and Steve Madden sandals that all the other girls just LOVE.

The stuff these kids have today.....
erinalexmom 09:44 AM 10-19-2011
My daughter who is 6 has twinkle toes and has for the last two years for school. She also wears tutu's and always has something sparkly or fancy on or wants to paint her nails or whatever. She did not get this from me as I am a jean and tshirt gal. But the grandmas (my mom and MIL) LOVE to buy this stuff for her and it truly fits her personality. She is just a 'sparkly" kind of girl. I dont mind too much cause its her way to express herself.
But I did have to ask grandmas to please buy some sweats and sweatshirts because its hard to build snowmen or play in the sand in a tutu! Of course then the sweats she picks out are leopard print! lol
laundrymom 10:15 AM 10-19-2011
I don't allow twinkle toes. They trigger migraines. I also allow the kids to. PLAY in whatever they wear. Wether it's a 5$ pair or a $70 dollar. We PLAY. HARD. DAILY.
daycare 10:17 AM 10-19-2011
You know whats funny to me, is that I have kids like this too and then when it's time to pay the daycare bill, they all want discounts...gggeeerrrr
safechner 10:21 AM 10-19-2011
I don't see anything wrong with it. My daughters wore first shoes when they were 2 months old. It was keds leather white shoes.

To me, I think it is good for my kids to wear shoes all the time before they become toddlers. So far, I know there are so many toddlers don't like to wear shoes if the parents don't put shoes when they were an infants. That is my opinions.
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 10-19-2011
Like Laundrymom I allow the kids to play with whatever they are wearing.

When both my children were young I bought ONLY Nike or similarly expensive shoes for them.

Much of our health depends on our feet.

I skipped the namebrand clothing but made sure their winter boots, jackets and all footwear were high quality from the beginning.
MsMe 10:26 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I don't allow twinkle toes. They trigger migraines. I also allow the kids to. PLAY in whatever they wear. Wether it's a 5$ pair or a $70 dollar. We PLAY. HARD. DAILY.
Really sad that I just hought to myself 'ugh, I wish I got migraines so I could ban them too' what a twisted thought...

They are soooo annoying....they nearly blind me!!!
countrymom 10:38 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
My daughter who is 6 has twinkle toes and has for the last two years for school. She also wears tutu's and always has something sparkly or fancy on or wants to paint her nails or whatever. She did not get this from me as I am a jean and tshirt gal. But the grandmas (my mom and MIL) LOVE to buy this stuff for her and it truly fits her personality. She is just a 'sparkly" kind of girl. I dont mind too much cause its her way to express herself.
But I did have to ask grandmas to please buy some sweats and sweatshirts because its hard to build snowmen or play in the sand in a tutu! Of course then the sweats she picks out are leopard print! lol
my 7 yr old is like this, and because I sell pettiskirts you should see her collection. She just got a pair of twinkle toes about 3 weeks ago, she is in love with them, but today I brought out a pair of crocs (I got them for five dollars at and outlet) that where linned with fleece and had glitter all around them and a glitter bow. My dd also doesn't wear jeans only leggings, and what does my mom do, goes out and buys her a sparkly pair from jcpenney. She also has 4 pairs of cowboy boots and one pair is silver sparkle. She's the only one of the bunch, my odd lives in yoga pants, jeans and soccer shorts, mdd wears jeans and comfy pants, ds loves collar shirts and button up shirts and ydd is the glitter queen. I buy alot of stuff on sale or in thrift stores maybe thats where they get them.
laundrymom 10:43 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
Really sad that I just hought to myself 'ugh, I wish I got migraines so I could ban them too' what a twisted thought...

They are soooo annoying....they nearly blind me!!!
Day four of migraine here. First one in several years. Im stacking meds and just about am going to die. But,.. It will be ok. I think it's weather. It's cold rainy and miserable.
GretasLittleFriends 10:52 AM 10-19-2011
Maybe some of these things are gifts/or thrifted??

My youngest (almost 18mos) currently has a pair of reeboks and a pair of pink crocs that are her size. She also has some Nikes that are the next size up. I honestly don't care what the brand is on her foot, as long as it is comfortable. She has also had Stride Rites. All of these shoes have been hand-me-downs or were found thrifting (thrift stores or garage sales).

Right now I am wearing an Aeropostale half zip pull over hoodie. It's nice and comfy, but it was given to me by a friend who was cleaning out her closet. I have a nice pair of sketcher d'lites that were given to me by a different friend who wore them one day and they killed her feet, but she couldn't return them. I paid nothing for them. My kids' clothes are all the same way.

It's nice sometimes to own name brand things (especially for my 16yr dd) and not had to pay retail for them. I WON'T pay retail for any of it; but I'm cheap.
Zoe 10:52 AM 10-19-2011
I wasn't annoyed at all by what shoes the kids wore today. As long as they aren't backless sandals, I'm good to go! I just thought it was funny that the 8 month old was wearing these sturdy air jordans. He could barely move when they were on as we were waiting for him to get picked up!

Just wanted to clarify, I was astounded by the fanciness. That's all!
Zoe 10:54 AM 10-19-2011
Oh, and when given the chance, I'm a girly girl as well. I'm going to see La Cage Aux Folles this weekend in Minneapolis. You can bet I'll be wearing at least 3 inch stillettos with my outfit! Maybe I'm just jealous
NiNi.R. 11:31 AM 10-19-2011
Have any of you had a kid that has the squeaker shoes? Why in god's name would anyone ever have those for their toddlers is beyond me. One of my dcg has them and with every step it makes the sound of a squeaky dog toy...when we are outside my dogs go bonkers over it.
Blackcat31 12:14 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
Have any of you had a kid that has the squeaker shoes? Why in god's name would anyone ever have those for their toddlers is beyond me. One of my dcg has them and with every step it makes the sound of a squeaky dog toy...when we are outside my dogs go bonkers over it.
It's am easy way for the parent to keep tabs on their child.

I don't know, I was just guessing.
Kaddidle Care 12:28 PM 10-19-2011
REALLY? That's interesting. My co-worker often gets migraines and her daughters wear them.

I need to research some articles about that and show her.

I often chuckle at the outfits - our last year's PreK's were mostly girls and it was like they were all trying to outdo each other. But cute - really cute!

We warn them that they play outside and we paint and glue and get messy. We have them wear smocks but sometimes they just get it on themselves anyway. I look at it like this: They were warned.

I refuse to spend big bucks on work clothes because I know they will be trashed.

Who's smarter?
MyAngels 12:30 PM 10-19-2011
All my kids had great, super expensive name brand clothes and shoes when they were little, too. People may have thought we were super snooty, but little did they know - I never bought any of it. It was all my super wonderful (not to mention well off) MIL. Her buying finally tapered off when she reached 10 grandchildren . Gotta love that woman.
queenbee 12:40 PM 10-19-2011
The worst creation of shoes!! I had a dcg come in one day this summer wearing these shoes and, it's very unfortunate, but the squeakers "fell" out.

I dug out the squeakers and tossed them out at naptime. I was not going to subject myself or the other children to that noise all day and throughout the summer. Mom nor dcg ever mentioned the suspicious dissappearence of the squeakers.
NiNi.R. 12:50 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:
The worst creation of shoes!! I had a dcg come in one day this summer wearing these shoes and, it's very unfortunate, but the squeakers "fell" out.

I dug out the squeakers and tossed them out at naptime. I was not going to subject myself or the other children to that noise all day and throughout the summer. Mom nor dcg ever mentioned the suspicious dissappearence of the squeakers.
That's awesome!

This child has multiple pairs so the mom might come a little suspicious if all of the squeakers suddenly started to disappear at my house.
2ndFamilyDC 12:54 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:

Isn't that the truth! No shoes on in my house.
PolarCare 01:20 PM 10-19-2011
I have 6 kids and they all wear name brand/high end clothes.

My oldest 2 are boys. They are 12 and 13. They both do odd jobs for neighbors and have paid chores that they do for me. They buy a lot of their own clothes, and they are smart about it. They hit Plato's Closet and consignment stores for a lot of their stuff.

My girls are 9, 8, 4 and 18 months, and I'm due again in April. (These include my custodial stepkids...no way I've given birth that many times). Anyway, I order nice name brand shoes that are good for their feet online. You can get them on closeout and NIB on ebay and Amazon. Just takes a little effort. And they're usually about the same price as Payless garbage that falls apart. As far as clothes, I hit the consignment shops and thrift stores on the ritzy side of town. What makes more sense? Buying $100 worth of clothes at Wal Mart that will be worn out by the child within one season? Or spending $130 on nice Land's End, Gymboree, Gap, and Hanna Anderson clothes from a consignment shop, and then passing those clothes down through several children because they actually last?

I don't spend any more to dress my kids well than people do to dress them in blue light specials. It just takes more effort.
Zoe 01:33 PM 10-19-2011

Yes! I heard some odd squeaking when we were at the zoo. Then all of a sudden this 18 month old was walking toward me. Oh my goodness! I would have such a headache!!!! How could that woman walk with that kid through the entire zoo listening to that?!?

Originally Posted by PolarCare:
I have 6 kids and they all wear name brand/high end clothes.

My oldest 2 are boys. They are 12 and 13. They both do odd jobs for neighbors and have paid chores that they do for me. They buy a lot of their own clothes, and they are smart about it. They hit Plato's Closet and consignment stores for a lot of their stuff.

My girls are 9, 8, 4 and 18 months, and I'm due again in April. (These include my custodial stepkids...no way I've given birth that many times). Anyway, I order nice name brand shoes that are good for their feet online. You can get them on closeout and NIB on ebay and Amazon. Just takes a little effort. And they're usually about the same price as Payless garbage that falls apart. As far as clothes, I hit the consignment shops and thrift stores on the ritzy side of town. What makes more sense? Buying $100 worth of clothes at Wal Mart that will be worn out by the child within one season? Or spending $130 on nice Land's End, Gymboree, Gap, and Hanna Anderson clothes from a consignment shop, and then passing those clothes down through several children because they actually last?

I don't spend any more to dress my kids well than people do to dress them in blue light specials. It just takes more effort.
I wish I had your determination! That's wonderful!

So I learned that dcm's MIL bought the shoes for dcb. So a lot of you were right. It was a gift. Wish my MIL did that!
laundrymom 01:37 PM 10-19-2011
You can turn them off. :-). Lift the sole. There's a way to disable. There was a lady who brought a child to the traveling wall with them. RUDE. Child was cute as a bug but when local mother was describing losing her 20 yr old to war. And finding out on Easter afternoon, no one wanted cute.
NiNi.R. 02:45 PM 10-19-2011
You can turn them off. :-). Lift the sole. There's a way to disable. There was a lady who brought a child to the traveling wall with them. RUDE. Child was cute as a bug but when local mother was describing losing her 20 yr old to war. And finding out on Easter afternoon, no one wanted cute.
That's the best news I've ever heard...I will have to remember that!
Mommy2One 11:30 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:

I'm the same way. My 2yo daughter usually has a TON of clothes and 3-6 pairs of shoes - lots of Children's Place and Lands End, and this year she'll be wearing an LL Bean jacket. I wait until department and specialty stores are offering free shipping, a percentage off coupon code and combine that with clearance deals, sometimes shopping a season ahead. My mom and I shop thrift stores occasionally too and anything I can't find a great deal on that way (like jeans) comes from Once Upon a Child. In the end I don't spend any more than if I'd gone to Walmart (often less) and at $3/shirt I don't feel bad if something happens to one (and I keep them nice looking with stain fighters I got for pennies after sale/coupons). I definitely wouldn't equate name brands with high prices.
SilverSabre25 11:57 AM 10-20-2011
I know, kids make enough noise as it is!! I have to say that I have never personally been subjected to this sort of shoe...yet.
Tags:clothing, footwear, liability
Reply Up