Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Polar Express
small_steps 06:23 AM 12-16-2011
Next week will be our fun week. I'm open only 4 days next week. Monday we are having "Polar Express Day" and we will watch the video...wear our pj's...have hot chocolate. Iwill send the all home with a bell. I've got a few other things planned for this day.

I was thinking of doing something like this every day next week but I'm having a hard time thinking of other things. Was thinking of doing a theme with a Christmas movie every day. Like maybe have another day as reindeer day and watch Rudolph..

Anyone have any ideas for themes and movies?
Unregistered 06:40 AM 12-16-2011
We are doing Polar Express/ PJ Day Today!
Next week,
Monday - red and green day (wear and do act. involving the colors red and green all day, even food!)
Tues - Show and Share Christmas (show and share and various Christmas stories and act.)
Wed - Baking Day (We spend in the kitchen with aprons and bake, bake, bake while listening to Christmas music)
Thurs - Christmas Party!

The kids are so wound up, having something going on each day seems to help me keep my sanity!
melissa ann 06:54 AM 12-16-2011
how about :
snowmen: frosty the snowman
drums out of coffee/formula cans: little drummer boy
santa faces (or whole body): santa claus is coming to town

that's all I have for now.
Meeko 07:08 AM 12-16-2011
This is kinda off-topic.....sorry...but you know me!!!

There is a train here in Utah called The Heber Creeper. It's a beautiful old steam train that does excursions through the mountains between Provo and Heber. Their most popular trip is the Polar Express.

I took my daughters when they were small and it was one of the most magical evenings of my life. I had read the Polar Express to the kids every year...it's one of my favorite books. (This long before the movie came out)

Each carriage has a wood stove for warmth and is lit by Christmas lights. Each carriage has Santa's helpers in elf costumes who hand out hot chocolate and read the Polar Express to spellbound children who come in their pj's (parents too!)

As the train travels out into the countryside, all you can see through the windows is the snow and it is really easy to believe we are heading out to the North Pole.

It takes about an hour each way. The "elves" are wonderful and keep the kids busy with other stories and singing carols.

When the train arrives at the "North Pole"......Santa gets on the train and makes his way from carriage to carriage to visit with the children. They are his special guests. The excitement in the carriages as the children hear him coming is so fun to see. He speaks to each child and gives each one a bell. He eventually leaves the train and stands beside it waving to the children who all shout goodbye!! then it's home again with more hot chocolate and singing. Many of the kids are asleep by the time the train gets back.

if you are ever in Utah at Christmas time...it's a must do.

Since then, I have always had Polar Express Day at the day care. The kids get bells and we have hot chocolate and various arts and crafts.

I am going to be honest and tell you all that I cannot watch or read the end
of the Polar Express without tears welling up.

I think it's because I can still hear the bell ring........................
melissa ann 07:13 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Me too!
small_steps 07:15 AM 12-16-2011

There is a train here in Utah called The Heber Creeper. It's a beautiful old steam train that does excursions through the mountains between Provo and Heber. Their most popular trip is the Polar Express.

I took my daughters when they were small and it was one of the most magical evenings of my life. I had read the Polar Express to the kids every year...it's one of my favorite books. (This long before the movie came out)

Each carriage has a wood stove for warmth and is lit by Christmas lights. Each carriage has Santa's helpers in elf costumes who hand out hot chocolate and read the Polar Express to spellbound children who come in their pj's (parents too!)

As the train travels out into the countryside, all you can see through the windows is the snow and it is really easy to believe we are heading out to the North Pole.

It takes about an hour each way. The "elves" are wonderful and keep the kids busy with other stories and singing carols.

When the train arrives at the "North Pole"......Santa gets on the train and makes his way from carriage to carriage to visit with the children. They are his special guests. The excitement in the carriages as the children hear him coming is so fun to see. He speaks to each child and gives each one a bell. He eventually leaves the train and stands beside it waving to the children who all shout goodbye!! then it's home again with more hot chocolate and singing. Many of the kids are asleep by the time the train gets back.

Since then, I have always had Polar Express Day at the day care. The kids get bells and we have hot chocolate and various arts and crafts.

Thank you for sharing this story! Now I want to go to Utah just to do this. ANd actually maybe next year will plan a trip for this. I'm in Texas and not sure how far this is for me but will have to look into it.
small_steps 07:16 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
how about :
snowmen: frosty the snowman
drums out of coffee/formula cans: little drummer boy
santa faces (or whole body): santa claus is coming to town

that's all I have for now.
Yes! I was thinking of something using Frosty for sure. And of course Santa. Thank you for the ideas!
small_steps 07:17 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are doing Polar Express/ PJ Day Today!
Next week,
Monday - red and green day (wear and do act. involving the colors red and green all day, even food!)
Tues - Show and Share Christmas (show and share and various Christmas stories and act.)
Wed - Baking Day (We spend in the kitchen with aprons and bake, bake, bake while listening to Christmas music)
Thurs - Christmas Party!

The kids are so wound up, having something going on each day seems to help me keep my sanity!
Love the baking day idea so we are going to add in a Chistmas Cookies day when we will bake most of the day and I've got some Christmas tupperware so that we can send home all the cookies.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 12-16-2011

We have the same thing here. It's called the North Shore Scenic Rail Road. The train travels up the norht shore of Lake Superior, which is breath taking! They always do a Polar Express trip and it is VERY popular! ...and of course for those of us that don't have small children or can't manage to do the Polar Express due to being overly emotional, they have Beer Train in October!! LOL!!

http://www.northshorescenicrailroad....cial.asp#polar
Meeko 07:47 AM 12-16-2011
Article from USAToday. It's few years old...but the trip has only got better.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...-express_x.htm
safechner 07:53 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Thank you for sharing this story! Now I want to go to Utah just to do this. ANd actually maybe next year will plan a trip for this. I'm in Texas and not sure how far this is for me but will have to look into it.
We do have one in Texas. We are planning to go on field trip to Polaris Express Train in Grapevine next week if possible. It will be our first time this year.
small_steps 08:01 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by safechner:
We do have one in Texas. We are planning to go on field trip to Polaris Express Train in Grapevine next week if possible. It will be our first time this year.
Grapevine isn't very far for me.. I'm about to look it up now and get the details. Thanks!
safechner 08:02 AM 12-16-2011
Grapevine isn't very far for me.. I'm about to look it up now and get the details. Thanks!
No problem!
melskids 09:34 AM 12-16-2011
What about the gingerbread man?

I loved that book when I was a kid!
daycare 09:37 AM 12-16-2011
Next week will be our fun week. I',m open only 4 days next week. Monday we are having "Polar Express Day" and we will watch the video...wear our pj's...have hot chocolate. Iwill send the all home with a bell. I've got a few other things planned for this day.

I was thinking of doing something like this every day next week but I'm having a hard time thinking of other things. Was thinking of doing a theme with a Christmas movie every day. Like maybe have another day as reindeer day and watch Rudolph..

Anyone have any ideas for themes and movies?
i am so stilling this idea if thats ok.....this is the coolest thing ever

that is my favorite book of all times. I cry went I get to the end and my older children laugh at me.

Oh I cant wait!!
daycare 09:38 AM 12-16-2011
what about I want a dog for christmas (charlie brown movie)

You can have all of the kids bring a stuffed dog??
daycare 09:42 AM 12-16-2011
I thought about showing them home alone? mine are 3-5... and throw in one 22 month old..

not too sure if that is too violent or not... I don't like things that promote violence.... what do you think about that one??
melskids 10:04 AM 12-16-2011
another one i loved as a child was the movie emmet otters jug band christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Emmet-Otters-J...3&sr=8-1-fkmr0

its about a mother and son who have no money, sell each others prized possessions without each other knowing, in order to enter a singing concert to win money.

it still makes me cry when i watch it

you could make instruments after and have a concert or talent show
small_steps 10:24 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
what about I want a dog for christmas (charlie brown movie)

You can have all of the kids bring a stuffed dog??
Cute...If I can find the movie
small_steps 10:27 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
i am so stilling this idea if thats ok.....this is the coolest thing ever

that is my favorite book of all times. I cry went I get to the end and my older children laugh at me.

Oh I cant wait!!
Steal away! I decided to do:
Monday: The Polar Express
Tuesday: Christmas Cookies: We will be baking all day and decorating the cookies to send home (Not sure what movie to watch? Maybe just the classic Rudolph & Frosty or something.)
Wednesday: Santa's Workshop Day: Wear Green...we will be making Christmas crafts all day (thinking of showing the Santa Claus with Tim Allen)
Thursday: Here comes Santa Claus: Our Christmas party and visit from Santa
Friday: I'm closed woohoo!
small_steps 10:28 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

its about a mother and son who have no money, sell each others prized possessions without each other knowing, in order to enter a singing concert to win money.

Awe that sounds sad. I will have to see if i can find it just to watch myself even i don't have time to get it for the daycare kids
Meeko 11:24 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

Oh my gosh...it's been years since I saw that one! It's very cute. Basically "The Gift of the Magi" redone for kids.
Tags:christmas, christmas - train, christmas traditions, pajamas, polar express, train set
Reply Up