Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Pet Peeves?
LadyPearl 06:59 AM 01-28-2014
Parents who dress their children in clothes and shoes that are waaaay too small. Makes it difficult to change diapers and dress them. Especially when a 2 yr old is wearing jeans with a snap and zipper.....
thetoddlerwhisper 07:03 AM 01-28-2014
parents expecting me to do all the work. ihave 6 other kids to take care of. not happening
craftymissbeth 07:05 AM 01-28-2014
Adults who chew with their mouth open
Not using a turning signal
Littering
.... oh .... daycare pet peeves

#1 is parents who choose not to discipline their children.
Cat Herder 07:11 AM 01-28-2014
Being forced to do Adult Care during Child Care hours.....

Ok , doing Adult Care in general.... Read your handbook. Browse the FAQ's. Scroll through the online versions if you lost your copies. It is all in there. Yes, "Client" or "Parent" means YOU, too, not just the other clients or parents.

I refuse to go to a picture menu....

Adding: Having to play a game of "Chocolate or Poop?" before sunrise. C'mon, I serve a huge hot breakfast every day... keep the chocolate cookie bribes for on the way home. Please.
crazydaycarelady 07:21 AM 01-28-2014
When the dcparents don't shut the door - I am either trying to heat this place up or cool it down so SHUT. THE. DOOR.

Also dcparents who step off of the entry rug with their wet feet and get the floor wet/dirty/muddy. I have babies (their babies sometimes) crawling through that.
LadyPearl 07:25 AM 01-28-2014
I have a dcg (age 7) who is one of the rudest kids I have ever met. Dcm is literally picking at the manners of an almost 2 yr old. It's growing increasingly difficult to bite my tongue when she should practice what she preaches!
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 01-28-2014
ANY conversation that begins with

"I know it's against policy but...."

or

"It'll just be this one time...."

or

"Could you do me a favor...."

or

"I didn't think you'd mind but..."

or

"Can I pay you (any other date other than payday)"
_Dana_ 07:32 AM 01-28-2014
Parents who can't/don't discipline their children, especially when it gets to the point that it endangers other children.
Heidi 07:59 AM 01-28-2014
Depends on the day.

Today? It's parents keeping their baby home for an extra day over the weekend, and bringing them back broken.

High need baby, 7 months, was doing AWESOME the last 2 weeks. Sleeping, eating, playing...happy happy happy.

Today is another story Oh...and questions about what his patterns were this weekend are met with vague answers like "he took short naps". Wow, that's helpful.
Childminder 08:11 AM 01-28-2014
Co-sleeping parents
BrooklynM 08:13 AM 01-28-2014
Converse shoes.... I wear them myself, but hate putting them on the DCKs!
DaycareMom 08:36 AM 01-28-2014
Parents who don't discipline or teach their kids manners/respect.

New one this week ... showing up at the same time I have to leave to bring my daughter to kindergarten and still wanting to chat ... sorry G2G!
SSWonders 08:47 AM 01-28-2014
The uncertainty of continued employment.
Kcole1075 08:50 AM 01-28-2014
Parents who dont discipline thier children.

Parents who do everything for their child... I finally got a 4 year old to put on his own shoes and socks and jacket and pull up his own pants. Just to have at pick up him sit down for mom to put on his shoes and socks and jacket after i told him he needed to do it.

I know this comes with the job but mouth noises same 4 year old is making sounds constantly and it kills me.
butterfly 08:53 AM 01-28-2014
I must have a lot of pet peeves... with every response I read I was nodding my head in agreement!

and changing diapers when a child is wearing bib overalls (without the leg snaps) and then a snapped onsie underneath. Or better yet potty training a child in the same attire.

shoes with shoe laces that can't just be slipped on and off a child
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:

shoes with shoe laces that can't just be slipped on and off a child
It's funny how much we all do things differently.

I DO NOT allow shoes that don't have laces. If they slip on and off the child, they aren't allowed.

ALL shoes MUST tie and tie securely. I actually prefer shoes like the Converse ones that BrooklynM mentioned.
LadyPearl 08:59 AM 01-28-2014
Parents who do everything for their child... I finally got a 4 year old to put on his own shoes and socks and jacket and pull up his own pants. Just to have at pick up him sit down for mom to put on his shoes and socks and jacket after i told him he needed to do it.

Yup! I have one just like it. Mostly independent with me and just about completely helpless when mom or dad walk in.
hope 09:41 AM 01-28-2014
Parents that over analyze everything and expect me to be their therapist, pediatrician and life coach at closing time.

Parents that ask their children to leave my home with them and watch as their child runs wild instead of telling them it's time to go. Love that 2nd round of clean up time for me!
Tdhmom 09:48 AM 01-28-2014
Being a back up sitter when normal sitter is out and EVERY TIME dcg comes she has a green snotty running nose. And EVERY TIME she gets all my regular kids sick :-/ we haven't had any sickness in my house since our summer colds and she was here last Thursday and now every one is cranky and green snotty noses with a croupy cough!!! This happens every time!!!!
Luna 09:52 AM 01-28-2014
I'm noticing a pattern here...parents
Disrespecting my schedule is my current top annoyance, but also inappropriate clothing (size, weather, etc.), and bringing sick children. I agree with PP about the noise. It comes with the territory but gee whiz! Some kids need a volume button!
BrooklynM 10:09 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I DO NOT allow shoes that don't have laces. If they slip on and off the child, they aren't allowed.

ALL shoes MUST tie and tie securely. I actually prefer shoes like the Converse ones that BrooklynM mentioned.
Do you double knot them? The issue I have with them is having to tie them/untie them for every diaper change, nap, etc. Maybe you have a trick? I like the way they fit and can run around in them, but constantly having to tie and untie takes so much time and frustration when you have a wiggle worm!
Childminder 10:12 AM 01-28-2014
Parents that bring the child after the meal and tell you they haven't eate as they walk out the door.

Parents that don't provide spare clothes or warm outdoor gear.

Child that is a cesspool of snot. ( I get that he's a baby, teething and can't help it but I still don't like it!)
Heidi 10:21 AM 01-28-2014

I'm guessing I know the reason:

You do childcare in a house separate from your own, one that's not quite as precious to you as your living room, and I bet your kiddos leave their shoes on in the building. ?
melilley 10:25 AM 01-28-2014
Coming in with dirty faces, hands and ears, daily.

And I'm really trying to get over this one and not care, but I'm finding it difficult....bringing your child EVERY day that you have off while bro. gets to stay home (sometimes the whole family is home, but dcb)

Lying...by parents (I've caught one dcm in lies, but haven't confronted her, she doesn't know I know)
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Do you double knot them? The issue I have with them is having to tie them/untie them for every diaper change, nap, etc. Maybe you have a trick? I like the way they fit and can run around in them, but constantly having to tie and untie takes so much time and frustration when you have a wiggle worm!
I only double know if the shoe laces are long. Otherwise, I just tie them. Tie them tight. I haven't had any issues with them.

The newer converse that have nylon or rounded laces DO come untied a lot.

I prefer the old school flat laces. They stay tied well.

I only have 3 kids in diapers and I don't need to remove the shoes for each diaper change because we only wear shoes outside in the summer and fall.

Winter requires snow boots
Spring requires puddle or mud boots

Originally Posted by Heidi:

You do childcare in a house separate from your own, one that's not quite as precious to you as your living room, and I bet your kiddos leave their shoes on in the building. ?
Nope. No shoes allowed in the house. Not even by me.

I wear slippers as do some of the kids but other than that, everyone wears socks inside.
My3cents 10:40 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I was guessing it was to teach them to tie- and they fit better then shoes the kids can just pull off.

For me telling my parents what kind of shoes the child must have would not work. I do tell a parent when shoes don't fit the child right and am learning to let the parents put shoes on like that when they come to pick up the child instead of helping them be ready for the parent. One parent tells me oh they are great because they stay on and keep the snow out. They are torture to put on the child, so if you don't mind that struggle you can put them on the child at pick up, the end of the day when your tired and just want to go home. UGH- I don't mind velcro- best invention ever for kids shoes. Come summer as much as I don't like flip flops for kids the parents will send them anyway- I try to enforce on this one for safety. Tie verses velcro, no I don't.
My3cents 10:45 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Coming in with dirty faces, hands and ears, daily.

And I'm really trying to get over this one and not care, but I'm finding it difficult....bringing your child EVERY day that you have off while bro. gets to stay home (sometimes the whole family is home, but dcb)

Lying...by parents (I've caught one dcm in lies, but haven't confronted her, she doesn't know I know)
I vacuum in the morning before arrivals. I dislike it when a kid comes in with commute food crumbs and tracks them through out. We eat only in the kitchen so food other places besides the kitchen esp after my morning clean up just irritates me. Plus I want that scone!!!

I can relate to a lot of these. All good-

My biggest PP is parents that don't just pick up and go home, esp when it is the last kiddo of the day. I want to end my work day! My 2nd biggest one is when the kiddo's act up when someone else comes in, another parent, visitor etc... Annoyances all of them, fun to read that others struggle with these too
melilley 10:52 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I vacuum in the morning before arrivals. I dislike it when a kid comes in with commute food crumbs and tracks them through out. We eat only in the kitchen so food other places besides the kitchen esp after my morning clean up just irritates me. Plus I want that scone!!!

I can relate to a lot of these. All good-
Yep, I found chewed up slobbery raisins on my entrance rug this morning...from the messy faced child.

I do have one dcp who shares with me....scones even..
jenboo 11:11 AM 01-28-2014

Oh man! I HATE shoes that they kids cannot put on themselves or that I have trouble putting on them!
Im all for the velcro and slip-ons.
Brooksie 11:17 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Co-sleeping parents
Parents who say they are starting sleep training but drop off and said they brought ****** in bed with them around 4:45
sharlan 11:21 AM 01-28-2014
Lack of communication. I have one parent that always shows up later than expected. If I tell her she has to be here at a certain time because we are going somewhere she does because I tell her 15 mins before everyone else.

Clothes that are way too big or way too small. Shoes the child can't walk in. Socks that don't match. The last one really drives me nuts.

Parents that try to put me in the middle of their drama.
preschoolteacher 11:28 AM 01-28-2014
One-piece outfits that snap all the way open/closed up the inside of the legs. I had a potty-training 2 year old come here wearing something like this with like a million snaps, I swear. The child was changed into some of my son's sweatpants for that day. I would much rather be talking and playing with the kids than spending time at every diaper change/potty session snapping all those snaps!
Meyou 11:32 AM 01-28-2014
"Sally seems a little tired this morning. Call me if you think she needs to come home!"

If you need to say this sentence I don't want your child here.
melilley 11:34 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
"Sally seems a little tired this morning. Call me if you think she needs to come home!"

If you need to say this sentence I don't want your child here.
or "L had a rough night".
Laurel 11:37 AM 01-28-2014
Providers who complain about things parents do when it is their own fault for not following their own policies. (And I am no exception! )

How many times have a I complained to my provider friends when the problem could just be solved if I would have laid down the law?

Now I'm feeling mad at myself!

Laurel
Stepping 11:37 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
When the dcparents don't shut the door - I am either trying to heat this place up or cool it down so SHUT. THE. DOOR.

Also dcparents who step off of the entry rug with their wet feet and get the floor wet/dirty/muddy. I have babies (their babies sometimes) crawling through that.
Me too! I even put down an extra rug and one dcd just walked right around it leaving mud, snow, slush all over the floor. My kids know to stamp and wipe their feet before entering, grown ups should too!

I also have to add:
People with no manners. Please, thank you, you're welcome, holding doors etc. they cost nothing but say so much about a person.
caregiver 12:24 PM 01-28-2014
Wow! I can relate to almost everyone here. I guess my pet peeve is parents not disciplining,not teaching manners,dressing the kids in too small clothes or layering on clothes, like putting tights on a 2 yr old then putting legging over and then a little skirt. It's a pain to change diapers with all that. Also when parents will say something like"he/she wouldn't let me",as parents let their child tell them what to do.
I also have a pet peeve with parents wanting their child, say at age 1-2 yrs old, to know so much and be the smartest,come on, the child is only 1-2, let them be a child for awhile and let them play like a child and not have to know everything,like how to read, write their name and know another language,they will learn that soon enough.
I had a dcm, who wanted me to teach her 1 yr-old how to read,the child could hardly talk yet,didn't say many words and I was supposed to teach him to read, sorry no way at only 1 yr of age and not talking much. He had just started to walk then also,sometimes would still crawl, but yet he was supposed to know how to read!
TaylorTots 01:42 PM 01-28-2014
Pet peeves...

-Parents wanting to small talk about unimportant life stuff when I had their dck ready to go as they walked in the door.

-DCKs that ask for something when I am obviously doing it. (Like I have a dcg who always asks me for her white milk as I am pouring it or a straw as I am reaching in to get it etc)
mountainside13 01:46 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Providers who complain about things parents do when it is their own fault for not following their own policies. (And I am no exception! )

How many times have a I complained to my provider friends when the problem could just be solved if I would have laid down the law?

Now I'm feeling mad at myself!

Laurel
It is my fault!! I say I will learn and be like a lot of you on here in about 5 years. Until then this forum helps vent my frustrations of not being able to stand up :lol awe, one day!!!
Laurel 01:57 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
It is my fault!! I say I will learn and be like a lot of you on here in about 5 years. Until then this forum helps vent my frustrations of not being able to stand up :lol awe, one day!!!
Haha!
Happily_wed 02:47 PM 01-28-2014
Parents who not only allow their kids to do anything they want but tell them (and everyone else) how cute they are when they misbehave! The daycare providers, Sunday school teachers, teachers, bus drivers, police officers, etc who have to deal with them later on will NOT think their behavior is cute!

Parents who lie to me. I am not stupid and I can spot a liar a mile away!

As far as dc kids go....

Smart mouthing me

Acting/talking like a baby when you are 2, 3, 4 or older!
KidGrind 03:21 PM 01-28-2014
When someone wonderful on this forum shares a bit of their DCL or vent & then starts a new thread about the same situation. I would’ve read the update on the original thread.
daycare 04:00 PM 01-28-2014
unrealistic threats. like if you say that again, I'll tie you to the hood of the car...........................

I guess this could also qualify as bad parenting..
Bookworm 04:48 PM 01-28-2014
DC related: parents who don't put shorts or leggings in dresses that are clearly too small. Parents that don't pay attention to any notes posted. Slack and lazy coworkers. Wait, did I mention slack and lazy coworkers?

Non DC related: late people, people who walk slow in front of me, and people with no knowledge of grocery store etiquette.
melilley 06:22 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by care giver:
I had a dcm, who wanted me to teach her 1 yr-old how to read,the child could hardly talk yet,didn't say many words and I was supposed to teach him to read, sorry no way at only 1 yr of age and not talking much. He had just started to walk then also,sometimes would still crawl, but yet he was supposed to know how to read!
Ugh! I have that mom. I had her 3 yo and I currently have her 1.5 yo. When the 1.5 yo turned about 1 she told me that he should be able to know how to share and should know about 100 words because the 3 yo. did at that age....whatever! Lies.
The 1.5 doesn't say barely anything. She pushed the 3 yo so hard (when he was 2) that I felt so bad for him. I learned not to tell her things that he did that normal children do at that age because she would turn it into something that an older child should be doing, not his age.
Tags:annoying, fun, issues, pet peeve, red flag
Reply Up