Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare In Garage?
angelamodglin 02:54 PM 01-10-2012
If I remodel my garage can I put a daycare in it. Im in Illinois and the garage is detached.
Mary Poppins 05:33 PM 01-10-2012
You should probably check with your local zoning board for this one.
Cat Herder 03:12 AM 01-11-2012
The only thing that I was told about having a detached garage was that it had to have it's own warm running water source, heating/cooling and flushing toilet.

I passed over a "nicer" home just for this reason. The costs of the upgrades would have exceeded my budget at that time (3 pre-school children)....

Now I wish I had taken the financial risk. Having the option of a Mother-in-Law suite would be very attractive now as our parents are aging.
angelamodglin 04:00 AM 01-11-2012
Thank you for the info so far.
Heidi 06:23 AM 01-11-2012
Assuming you can heat it properly, and have running water & sewer, it should not be a problem.
Meeko 10:20 AM 01-11-2012
I don't know her...but I know there is a provider here in my city who wanted to use her garage as her main day care area. My inspector told me her place was awesome.

She couldn't afford to have sewer/bathroom/kitchen put in etc, and that would have taken up too much space. It was already set up for heat and cooling. So what they did is build an enclosed walkway from the garage to the house. It was MUCH cheaper and she can now use the bathroom in her house for the kids.

Her garage just became a nice big playroom! Are you close enough to do something like that?
Tags:garage, illinois
Reply Up