Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breakfast Brain Fart....
Sunshine75 07:50 PM 10-31-2013
Ok, I am seriously having struggles coming up with meals for breakfast. I of course do the standard waffles, French toast and pancakes but can't seem to get beyond that. What are some good breakfasts that you make? FYI-this would be for a 13 month old. Thanks!
JoseyJo 08:03 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine75:
Ok, I am seriously having struggles coming up with meals for breakfast. I of course do the standard waffles, French toast and pancakes but can't seem to get beyond that. What are some good breakfasts that you make? FYI-this would be for a 13 month old. Thanks!
My new favorite is breakfast cups- it is biscuit dough, egg, ham and cheese layered in a cupcake pan. They turn out looking like little cupcakes but takes like breakfast sandwiches! I make 2 dozen or so on a weekend day and freeze them. They thaw nicely in the fridge or on defrost in the microwave and reheat in about 30 seconds.

We also do
yogurt/granola/fruit
oatmeal
maltomeal
baked oatmeal cups
cinnamon toast (easy and fast in the oven)
muffins
rice cereal (rice cooked w/ cinnamon and raisins, then pour milk over)
toast w/ pb
english muffins
bagels

Probably more but that is all I can think of right now!
Childminder 08:04 PM 10-31-2013
Cinnamon toast and applesauce
Muffins and fruit
Hot cereal, oats or cream of wheat
Cold cereals
Pastry
Childminder 08:06 PM 10-31-2013
We can't do yogurt or eggs on the food program

Rice pudding
Bread pudding
SilverSabre25 08:39 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:

Rice pudding
Bread pudding
...you CAN'T do yogurt or eggs? Why on earth not? That's so weird!
SilverSabre25 08:41 PM 10-31-2013
Monday--oatmeal (it varies every week what i put on it)
Tuesday--scrambled eggs w/cheese, toast
Wednesday--pancakes/waffles
Thursday--smoothie w/toast/english muffin/bagel or yogurt w/same
Friday--cold cereal

Yeah. I'm boring for breakfast. But no one ever complains :P. sometimes I mix it up and do fried eggs instead of scrambled
dingledine 08:50 PM 10-31-2013
You CAN do them on the food program, yogurt and eggs, you just can't count them on your menus, they aren't required... I think that is what she means... So, I could MAKE them, they would just be something EXTRA.
Lil'DinoEggs 08:57 PM 10-31-2013
Oatmeal:
apple pie oatmeal
pumpkin pie oatmeal
blueberry cream oatmeal
banana bread oatmeal

If you make them with a flavored soy milk then you will add little or no additional sugar.
Sunshine75 08:58 PM 10-31-2013
Thanks for all the ideas! Joseyjo-would you mind sharing your recipe? That sounds really good!
Scout 03:53 AM 11-01-2013

Rice pudding
Bread pudding
Wth? Do theu say why you cant serve two healthy breakfast foods? This surprises me.
SSWonders 04:32 AM 11-01-2013

Rice pudding
Bread pudding
Really? I thought all food programs followed national guidelines? We can serve eggs as a meat component at any meal.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:10 AM 11-01-2013
Breakfast for fp says you must have servings of milk, grain, and veg/fruit. You can add a meat or another dairy if you like, but you must serve the other 3 to claim the meal.
itlw8 07:21 AM 11-01-2013
They would LIKE us to serve a protein 1x a week but not required. At some point in the future it may be but as slow as things move it could be years. Children learn so much better with a lean protein.
daycare 07:27 AM 11-01-2013
what they are saying is this.....

on the food program we can get partial reimbursement if we follow this guideline. Anything that you serve outside of that, is up to you and you will not get any form of reimbursement for.

bk: to meet USDA food program you must serve at least the following

grain, fruit and milk

As long as you cover those 3 components, then you qualify. If you serve all of those and eggs, or some form of protein, you will not get reimburse for anything you serve in addition.

So yes you can serve eggs or sausage for breakfast, you just won't get any $$$$ to help cover the cost of the additional food.
daycare 07:28 AM 11-01-2013
Also, if you would like, you can always ask if you can switch your am snack and breakfast.

THis is what I do. This way, we have a huge breakfast, then a small snack
itlw8 07:30 AM 11-01-2013
and do not write down sausage because even it you do not reimbursed for it it will count against you for how many times you server high sodium foods like hotdogs
daycare 07:34 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
and do not write down sausage because even it you do not reimbursed for it it will count against you for how many times you server high sodium foods like hotdogs
depends on what kind. we serve turkey sausage at least once a week. I have never been told anything. But I don't serve, chicken nuggets or FF or other foods high in fat
Tags:breakfast, breakfast - menu
Reply Up