Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quiet Time For 4 Year Old
Unregistered 11:53 AM 02-26-2015
I have a small in home center, we do rest time from about 1-3 everyday, the other children all sleep for that time. I have a four year old who has been here for about a month and a half. She took naps at her old daycare and does at home, but she rarely does here.

I provide her with a cot to rest on and ask that she does for 30 minutes, however, she won't stay. She continues to get off her cot, will check on the little ones (sometimes waking them), grabs toys to take to her cot, comes to ask me how much longer etc. I know naps are not a given, but I really need that 30 minutes (which ends up being about 20 by the time I get all the little ones settled into their beds) to just work on paperwork, lesson plans, menus, food program stuff, etc.

I give her books to read or a little magnetic activity book, I bought a clock radio so she could visualize when her time was up. I'm not really sure what else to do, any suggestions? Do you require you kids to take their quite time on their cots or is it just play quietly?
laundrymom 11:57 AM 02-26-2015
I require naps. Not quiet time.

My contract actually states:
If you're child has outgrown their naps, they have outgrown Miss Laundry.
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a small in home center, we do rest time from about 1-3 everyday, the other children all sleep for that time. I have a four year old who has been here for about a month and a half. She took naps at her old daycare and does at home, but she rarely does here.

I provide her with a cot to rest on and ask that she does for 30 minutes, however, she won't stay. She continues to get off her cot, will check on the little ones (sometimes waking them), grabs toys to take to her cot, comes to ask me how much longer etc. I know naps are not a given, but I really need that 30 minutes (which ends up being about 20 by the time I get all the little ones settled into their beds) to just work on paperwork, lesson plans, menus, food program stuff, etc.

I give her books to read or a little magnetic activity book, I bought a clock radio so she could visualize when her time was up. I'm not really sure what else to do, any suggestions? Do you require you kids to take their quite time on their cots or is it just play quietly?

Controlled Chaos 12:13 PM 02-26-2015
If she naps everywhere else she should nap with you. I would much stricter during nap. If a child doesn't fall asleep after an hour I will offer them books to look at on their cot, but they must be SILENT. I would sit by her cot, like you might a 2 yo who is new to a cot. A 4 yo should be able to follow directions like "stay on your cot".
cara041083 12:41 PM 02-26-2015
I would move her away from the others and tell her its not optional. I don't do quite time, they have to take a nap. If they out grown a nap then they need to go somewhere else. Its all about sleep training. When I start a new kid, the first week is always hard. You need to spend a week or two putting her back down every time she gets up. Rinse and repeat. Tell her no its nap time and lay her back down with out any toys. She should get it and start napping.
Shell 12:56 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
If she naps everywhere else she should nap with you. I would much stricter during nap. If a child doesn't fall asleep after an hour I will offer them books to look at on their cot, but they must be SILENT. I would sit by her cot, like you might a 2 yo who is new to a cot. A 4 yo should be able to follow directions like "stay on your cot".
Yep! I'm wondering if at the center there was more than one person in a classroom, and one rubbed her back to sleep?
I had a dcb (3.5) that napped at his center (rubbed by assistant) and still slept in a crib at home.
Unregistered 01:38 PM 02-26-2015
I would tell her she needs to lay down and rest her body or she is in trouble. She needs to do what you ask or there will be consequences. I don't allow them to get up and do quiet activities until they are IN kindergarten AND don't fall asleep within 30 minutes. We ALL need down time.
daycarediva 02:44 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would tell her she needs to lay down and rest her body or she is in trouble. She needs to do what you ask or there will be consequences. I don't allow them to get up and do quiet activities until they are IN kindergarten AND don't fall asleep within 30 minutes. We ALL need down time.
Not the trouble part, but this is what I do, too. I would give it two weeks to improve. If it doesn't, she needs to find alternate care.
Unregistered 04:51 PM 02-26-2015
I say trouble because she isn't listening to you. She needs to.
Unregistered 08:37 PM 02-26-2015
Thank you all, I appreciate your advice. Licensing requires me to allow a child up after 30 minutes if they do not fall asleep. I will be making some changes and getting a little firmer about this. I really need the time and so does she.
Reply Up