Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newborns - Questions to Ask at Interviews
Jack Sprat 10:40 AM 09-19-2013
What questions should I ask this potential client about her newborn?

My questions so far:

Are you planning to breastfeed?
Will you be pumping or supplementing with formula?
When will you introduce bottle if nursing?
Diapering - cloth or disposable?
Where will your baby sleep when at home?
Do you plan on using baby wise or any other form of sleep training?

For providers: Do you charge more for newborns or under 18 months? I am thinking I should but, on my website I do not list a different price for infants. I am pretty sure she has looked at my site so not sure how to navigate around that if I do ask for more.

Right now a newborn would work well I think. I have only two full time kiddos and four part-time. So the baby could slid in easily I hope!
mamac 10:45 AM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
What questions should I ask this potential client about her newborn?

My questions so far:

Are you planning to breastfeed?
Will you be pumping or supplementing with formula?
When will you introduce bottle if nursing?
Diapering - cloth or disposable?
Where will your baby sleep when at home?
Do you plan on using baby wise or any other form of sleep training?

For providers: Do you charge more for newborns or under 18 months? I am thinking I should but, on my website I do not list a different price for infants. I am pretty sure she has looked at my site so not sure how to navigate around that if I do ask for more.

Right now a newborn would work well I think. I have only two full time kiddos and four part-time. So the baby could slid in easily I hope!
How about if/when they use a pacifier?
Jack Sprat 10:50 AM 09-19-2013
Ah yes good!
butterfly 11:09 AM 09-19-2013
I don't charge more for infants - probably should, but I don't want to take the pay cut when they grow up....

Infant daycare is very hard to find here, so I'm sure people would pay more for it.

I don't really ask a lot of questions of new borns. I more tell them how I do things. If they don't like it, they can keep looking. I prefer older kids - can you tell?
Cat Herder 11:11 AM 09-19-2013
During the interview process (usually pre-birth) I generally ask them "What are your parenting goals and how do you feel full time childcare fits into them?". I listen and take notes. I then ask for clarification as needed. (some parents have not discussed it before, so it is really interesting to watch the dynamics between them as they talk it through)

I have learned that if I lead the conversation I will only be screening for *known* red flags... *New ones pop up every couple of years.

After that I do a brief tour, give them a copy of the contract (if I feel we are a match) and set a deadline for enrollment (usually 48 hours without a holding fee).

The details of care expectations are included in the written paperwork after enrollment.

No, I do not charge based on age. I have a set rate per slot because age does not effect my total ratio.
Leigh 11:31 AM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I don't charge more for infants - probably should, but I don't want to take the pay cut when they grow up....

Infant daycare is very hard to find here, so I'm sure people would pay more for it.

I don't really ask a lot of questions of new borns. I more tell them how I do things. If they don't like it, they can keep looking. I prefer older kids - can you tell?

It's nearly impossible to find here, too, and I don't like taking newborns. I am seriously considering a huge rate increase for newborns.
Maria2013 03:50 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:

I don't really ask a lot of questions of new borns. I more tell them how I do things. If they don't like it, they can keep looking.
that's me too
Tags:interview - questions
Reply Up