Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Days and School Closings
lmdc 06:58 PM 10-27-2009
hi =) just curious how everyone charges (or if you charge extra) for snow days/school closings/half days, etc for school aged kids...

thanks in advance!
Unregistered 10:42 AM 10-29-2009
Hi! I charge the same here in Iowa. If they have snow days, sick days, etc.....
lmdc 06:51 PM 10-29-2009
by saying you charge the same, do you mean that you don't charge extra for snow days, school closings and just consider it included in the regular weekly fee?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:28 PM 10-29-2009
I'm newly registered and I just made up my contract recently and I decided to charge a little extra for those snow days/vacation days. I charge what I would charge them on a full day during the summer. So basically I take their normal weekly rate and figure out how much extra they need to pay me to equal that daily rate.

Example (this was based on 2 kids)..If they pay me $30/day in the summer and their before/after school care is $90/week ($18/day)..they owe me an extra $12/day for any days they are here a full day during school months.
Chickenhauler 11:47 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I'm newly registered and I just made up my contract recently and I decided to charge a little extra for those snow days/vacation days. I charge what I would charge them on a full day during the summer. So basically I take their normal weekly rate and figure out how much extra they need to pay me to equal that daily rate.

Example (this was based on 2 kids)..If they pay me $30/day in the summer and their before/after school care is $90/week ($18/day)..they owe me an extra $12/day for any days they are here a full day during school months.
That sounds like a fair, workable rate schedule for all involved....very hard for a parent to argue with that.
mac60 02:30 AM 10-30-2009
For school age kids, if they are here due to a snow day, holiday closing, yes, I charge $10 more per day. So it is $17 per day. Never to exceed my regular fulltime rate though.
lmdc 03:24 AM 10-30-2009
thanks! i like the idea of the flat $10 a day for snow days, school closings, etc...nice and simple. i currently don't have anything written in my policies (i'm still kind of a newbie and haven't really had to deal with this yet) but will have to add this in.
tinytotzdaycare 05:24 AM 10-30-2009
we charge $5 per day b/a school and $10 per day on all non school days including summer for school age kids.
tymaboy 06:14 AM 10-30-2009
My families only pay if they are here (or holidays) snow days if they are here 3 hours they pay for 3 hours if they are here 9 hours they pay for 9 hours. I have 2 families that are teachers so if there is a snow day those kids wont be coming for the day but if by some chance there is a water main break the kids get out of school but the teachers still need to work then I would have the kids all day. All I ask is that they call & let me know if the child is coming or not.
GretasLittleFriends 08:15 AM 10-30-2009
I charge hourly, so my school aged kids are $2/hr for the hours that they're here. No school days I get paid more for them...

If I were to charge a flat rate, I would definitely have a clause in my contract that would increase the rate for non-school days for school aged children. The equation that My4SunshineGirlsNY had made perfect sense, and I'd probably figure it out a similar way.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 10-30-2009
If the children have no school due to snow days then they pay for the day as they normally would for a regular no school day, so if they are here a full day they would be charged the rate for a full day.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 10-30-2009
I charge whatever the difference is- if they are here only in the am and after school, then if they don't have school, I just charge them $15.00 more, that is my fullday rate fee beyond what they already pay for before and after school, which is $60.00 a week.
jen 09:31 AM 10-30-2009
I just build it in to the regular cost of weekly school-aged care...

For example, I charge $75/week for after-school care (2:30 to 5:30) which is a bit higher than the average in my area, but I include snow days. During the summer months I charge $135 for all ages.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:32 PM 10-30-2009
I consider schoolagers on a before after school arrangement to be hourly,.. I have a 10 hour minimum per week,.. anything over 10 is 3 per hour. so if they are here 11 hours on a day school is closed, I get 33 extra for that day.
momma2girls 02:36 PM 11-20-2009
SO what are your rates for before and after school. I know some around where I live do an hrly. rate and some do weekly. I have a weekly rate of $50.00/wk. that is for before and after school.
rabagley 06:28 PM 11-20-2009
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
SO what are your rates for before and after school. I know some around where I live do an hrly. rate and some do weekly. I have a weekly rate of $50.00/wk. that is for before and after school.
Wow. My provider charges $58/day or $38/half day with a 20% discount for a full week. Even with that rate, I don't think my provider pockets a whole lot at the end of the year. Cost of living in Los Angeles is crazy and there are three employees in the "small day care" so her expenses are high.

To the subject of the thread, my provider let us move days around and request extra days because we're family friends, but almost everyone else has a fixed weekly schedule and there are few/no exceptions without at least a week's notice. Since there are never snow days in LA this is less of an issue...
kiddiecare 07:05 AM 11-21-2009
I use to charge by the hour for b/a school kids but now they pay the part time fee of $62.50 1/2 my f/t fee of $125 a week. I changed this because I can only have a certain number of kids and b/a school age kids take up those spots, i want to make at least half of what i could, I also only offer 2-3 spots as p/t. It states in my policies and i also write it into their contract that any non school days will be charged the extra, the flat rate they pay is for up to 20 hours so anything over that is $2.50 a hour. Scheduled non school/vacation days are paid for in advance of care,Parents know they will be charged for non school days unless they give me proper written notice stating they wont be here, if they dont give notice they are charged regardless. I run a business and i have a family, I don't allow parents to use me as a 'drop in' without notice, i like to know who will be here and when, thats why they sign a contract stating what days/hours they will be here. If they want care outside their regular contracted times then they will pay extra.
Tags:charging, closings, daily reports, half school, holiday, hourly rates, monthly rates, no school, snow, weekly rates
Reply Up