Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging When Schools Out for Snow?
Persephone 10:39 AM 01-15-2010
Last week school was out two days for snow. So the one little boy I watch stayed home with his older siblings.

I know the mom is going to ask if she has to pay for those days (I didn't make her come and pay me since there was snow on Friday).

I have a handbook but I guess I over looked payment even if they are not here. But it doesn't say that I won't charge either.

How should I handle this when she comes if she doesn't want to pay for them?

I can't afford to lose them, because I only have two families right now. But I need the money too. Not my fault that she didn't bring him last week.
momofboys 10:53 AM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
Last week school was out two days for snow. So the one little boy I watch stayed home with his older siblings.

I know the mom is going to ask if she has to pay for those days (I didn't make her come and pay me since there was snow on Friday).

I have a handbook but I guess I over looked payment even if they are not here. But it doesn't say that I won't charge either.

How should I handle this when she comes if she doesn't want to pay for them?

I can't afford to lose them, because I only have two families right now. But I need the money too. Not my fault that she didn't bring him last week.
So the mom went to work & left the older siblings to care for him??? IS that right? DId she call & give you notice? I'd say it isn't your fault that the older kids were home. You should still be paid, especially if you have an agreement. Not your fault it was snowy. I mean, her work didn't let her stay home b/c of the snow, right? You should get paid at least 1/2 the normal rate.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:59 AM 01-15-2010
I have this

~ By entering into this contract you agree to make payments when due and pay the full amount each week. Payments are based on contracted hours and not actual attendance. Put yourself in my shoes,.. Imagine getting to your job and having your boss tell you “ things are kind of slow today, so we will only be paying you $2.50 per hour” Or, “My mother in law is visiting right now and she likes your job, so you can take the day off without pay”. That is unfair to expect of anyone, especially someone who cares for the most important thing in your life.
Persephone 10:59 AM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
So the mom went to work & left the older siblings to care for him??? IS that right? DId she call & give you notice? I'd say it isn't your fault that the older kids were home. You should still be paid, especially if you have an agreement. Not your fault it was snowy. I mean, her work didn't let her stay home b/c of the snow, right? You should get paid at least 1/2 the normal rate.
Well she was home, but she sleeps during the day because she works nights, the oldest by is like 14 or something. But yes, she went to work. (Our county is out of school for any little snow almost! It's crazy) She did call on the first day and said that he would not be there because school was out.

We'll see what happens. She's sending her boyfriend to get him in a little while and a lot of times she does that and he doesn't have the money. I was letting her pay bi-weekly before because that's when she got paid, but when she changed jobs we went to weekly payments. Which was to start last week, but then they were out on Friday.
Persephone 11:00 AM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I have this

~ By entering into this contract you agree to make payments when due and pay the full amount each week. Payments are based on contracted hours and not actual attendance. Put yourself in my shoes,.. Imagine getting to your job and having your boss tell you “ things are kind of slow today, so we will only be paying you $2.50 per hour” Or, “My mother in law is visiting right now and she likes your job, so you can take the day off without pay”. That is unfair to expect of anyone, especially someone who cares for the most important thing in your life.
You have this in your contract? I like it!
momofboys 11:14 AM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I have this

I Love it! I may have to steal it!
momofboys 11:15 AM 01-15-2010
Well she was home, but she sleeps during the day because she works nights, the oldest by is like 14 or something. But yes, she went to work. (Our county is out of school for any little snow almost! It's crazy) She did call on the first day and said that he would not be there because school was out.

We'll see what happens. She's sending her boyfriend to get him in a little while and a lot of times she does that and he doesn't have the money. I was letting her pay bi-weekly before because that's when she got paid, but when she changed jobs we went to weekly payments. Which was to start last week, but then they were out on Friday.
So did you not get paid last week? I would call her pronto & tell her that bf needs to bring your paycheck or you won't be able to provide services next week. People drive me nuts! How would they like it if they weren't paid?
Persephone 11:26 AM 01-15-2010
So did you not get paid last week? I would call her pronto & tell her that bf needs to bring your paycheck or you won't be able to provide services next week. People drive me nuts! How would they like it if they weren't paid?
I know she's sleeping now and he should be here any minute. I'll wait until he comes and then I'll call if needed.

I didn't get paid last week. I was off one day for personal reasons and she over paid the week before, so she doesn't owe me that much, it's just the point. I didn't push her to bring it last week because of the snow. But from this point on, it's going to have to be paid.

I'm thinking of making them pay the friday or monday before the week starts.
momofboys 12:03 PM 01-15-2010
I know she's sleeping now and he should be here any minute. I'll wait until he comes and then I'll call if needed.

I didn't get paid last week. I was off one day for personal reasons and she over paid the week before, so she doesn't owe me that much, it's just the point. I didn't push her to bring it last week because of the snow. But from this point on, it's going to have to be paid.

That's what I do - they pay at the beginning of the week. It isn't fair to you to not know when you are getting paid. Hope you get paid, I'd insist!
Persephone 12:29 PM 01-15-2010
That's what I do - they pay at the beginning of the week. It isn't fair to you to not know when you are getting paid. Hope you get paid, I'd insist!
Well I'm still waiting for them to come. She called earlier and left a message that he was coming in about an hour, which would have been an hour ago. But the time she told me that he would normally be here is 4:30. So I can't get too mad about it.

But I will let him know when he's here if he doesn't offer the money, that she needs to run it by or I'll have to charge the late fee, which I have not done up to this point.

But my bills need paid too! I hope I don't have to be b*tchy but I will if I have too!
Persephone 01:04 PM 01-15-2010
Well he came to get him but he 'forgot the check'. Yeah right. He said the mom was running by in about 30 mins to drop one of the other kids some where and she would bring it by.

I told him I would be looking for her. If she doesn't come by with in 2 hours (6:00) I'll be calling her.
mac60 01:21 PM 01-15-2010
My handbook says payment is expected whether the child is here or not, vacation, sick days, holidays included. No exceptions on any days. You simply pay whether you come or not. Period. Your paying for the spot not the hours of attendance.
Persephone 01:30 PM 01-15-2010
I think what peeves me off more is that now I have to sit here and wait for her to come. When I could be out doing other things. If I leave she'll even up saying something like, I came but you weren't there...even though she knows she can leave it in the box.
Persephone 03:20 PM 01-15-2010
Now, I'm just getting mad. I called about an hour ago and got the voice mail. I left a message saying that I needed to know when she was coming by tonight to pay me. I told her that I needed to be paid and that I had no been paid for last week either.

I might call again about 8:00 and if I get the voice mail again I'll let her know that I'll be inforcing my late fee of $10 per day late. (Do you could just Sat and Sun or do you count friday too?)

All I have to say is that she better not come rolling in with a check, because for one my contract says Cash only, I'm not dealing with bouncing checks and two the banks are closed.
momma2girls 03:59 PM 01-15-2010

I have had all families pay on Monday the beginning of the week for many yrs. now- I have friends that have all families pay on Friday before the next week of daycare!
momma2girls 04:00 PM 01-15-2010
Now, I'm just getting mad. I called about an hour ago and got the voice mail. I left a message saying that I needed to know when she was coming by tonight to pay me. I told her that I needed to be paid and that I had no been paid for last week either.

I might call again about 8:00 and if I get the voice mail again I'll let her know that I'll be inforcing my late fee of $10 per day late. (Do you could just Sat and Sun or do you count friday too?)

All I have to say is that she better not come rolling in with a check, because for one my contract says Cash only, I'm not dealing with bouncing checks and two the banks are closed.
I have it in my contract- $10.00 a day late fee inc. Sat. and Sun.
Persephone 04:41 PM 01-15-2010
I just called again and she said "I just got up" Yeah right. She said she will be right over with the payment.

I'm betting if I wouldn't have called I wouldn't be getting it tonight!
momofboys 05:39 PM 01-15-2010
I just called again and she said "I just got up" Yeah right. She said she will be right over with the payment.

I'm betting if I wouldn't have called I wouldn't be getting it tonight!
Save yourself the stress & tell her outright that you deserve to be paid on the same day every week. If no payment is rendered, no services are provided. Plain & simple. Sorry you had to deal with this! So ridiculous & what rude parents. How would they feel if they had to wait for their pay?
momma2girls 05:47 PM 01-15-2010
I had one family that gave me a 2 week notice, and they couldn't afford to pay me for it. So I gave them a couple of weeks to pay for it without late fees. Needless to say myself being nice, they didn't pay!!! I had to take the family to court, late fees were racking way up!! Then the family lied to me and said they were moving out of state and I wouldn't be able to find them, so good luck trying to get their money. I knew they were lying to me all along!! I had to settle out of court for the 2 weeks and that was it!!! WOW!!! You be nice to families and look where it gets you!!!!!!!!!!!
Another thing was they bounced a check, and I tried for hrs. using different phones to get them to answer it. I left message after message that they needed to pay me immediately inc. my returned fee for the check. It was funny, because as soon as I told them that they would have to pay for any of our checks out there that would bounce because of her $250.00 check bouncing per contract. They called back instantly and brought the cash to me immediately. It was cash from then on!! I should have given them their 2 week notice then!!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:22 PM 01-15-2010
Familys like this are so frustrating..I used to pay for daycare and I would NEVER be late on paying, it's just plain rude!

There are always familys out there like this...I have one family where I feel like I'm chasing after my money all the time and their child is so so so difficult, which makes it even more frustrating...when they are late I feel like they don't appreciate all the hard work I put into their child, like I'm at the bottom of their priorities.

They gave me a bad check the second week of care...when I called her about it, was a Friday night, she said she would be over in the morning to give me cash (after telling me she doesn't know how this is even possible that her check bounced, blah blah blah)...well I waited, and waited that morning...had to text her to find out when she was coming. So I'm waiting all moring long and couldn't go anywhere because I wanted my money. Finally shows up at 11:45.

Then when it was Christmas break from school the child didn't come because mom's a school teacher...payments are due on Friday as per my contract and didn't get paid until Sunday.

There were a couple more times she said she would be by a certain time and I waited and waited...they did come but it wasn't when they said and I'm stuck at home waiting when I have places I need to go.

So I feel your frustration. It's just plain rude and I can't understand how some people think.
momofboys 09:20 PM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Familys like this are so frustrating..I used to pay for daycare and I would NEVER be late on paying, it's just plain rude!

There are always familys out there like this...I have one family where I feel like I'm chasing after my money all the time and their child is so so so difficult, which makes it even more frustrating...when they are late I feel like they don't appreciate all the hard work I put into their child, like I'm at the bottom of their priorities.

They gave me a bad check the second week of care...when I called her about it, was a Friday night, she said she would be over in the morning to give me cash (after telling me she doesn't know how this is even possible that her check bounced, blah blah blah)...well I waited, and waited that morning...had to text her to find out when she was coming. So I'm waiting all moring long and couldn't go anywhere because I wanted my money. Finally shows up at 11:45.

Then when it was Christmas break from school the child didn't come because mom's a school teacher...payments are due on Friday as per my contract and didn't get paid until Sunday.

There were a couple more times she said she would be by a certain time and I waited and waited...they did come but it wasn't when they said and I'm stuck at home waiting when I have places I need to go.

So I feel your frustration. It's just plain rude and I can't understand how some people think.

Are you talking about waiting around to be paid? I would put a stop to that right now! You need to ask them how they would feel if they didn't know when they would be paid? I would make them pay in advance from now on.
Persephone 04:58 AM 01-16-2010
Are you talking about waiting around to be paid? I would put a stop to that right now! You need to ask them how they would feel if they didn't know when they would be paid? I would make them pay in advance from now on.
Let me ask this. How do people react when you go to payments at the start of the week? I can see her getting pretty pissed off because she'd have to double up the payment the first week, paying for the last week and then paying for the first week. I know that could be really hard for some people with money being tight.

I'd like to do this but I know both families that I watch right now are tight on money.
momma2girls 06:04 AM 01-16-2010
Let me ask this. How do people react when you go to payments at the start of the week? I can see her getting pretty pissed off because she'd have to double up the payment the first week, paying for the last week and then paying for the first week. I know that could be really hard for some people with money being tight.

I'd like to do this but I know both families that I watch right now are tight on money.
I started doing this when I actually moved in to this area, so they were all new families.
Maybe 1/2 on Mon. and 1/2 on that Fri. then the next week, do all on Mon. from then on.
I really can't think of anything else.
I know it will save alot of hardships with many things by doing it this way!!!
Unregistered 06:06 AM 01-16-2010
But how pissed are you that you just had to jump through hoops to get your payment? Always, always have them pay before services rendered. Rent is for the current month, not the previous. They are renting a space from you for their child. If not, then you are basically loaning them childcare. Money out of your pocket to feed, house, and provide a quality environment. Why would you do this for free? The "hope" that you will be reimbursed for your services?
Explain that you can't keep guessing when you are going to get paid because the electric company doesn't wait for their payment and you can't watch their child when you don't have electricity.
momofboys 06:18 AM 01-16-2010

My families have always paid either on Friday for the next week or for Monday the week that services are being given. It's just paying for one week. There's no "double paying". But I can understand how the parent would feel that way, in essence they are behind in paying you so it would just be catching up. Here's my question, are your families paying AFTER they have received the care? That's just something I would not allow. It's too easy to not pay then & then they are behind a week or two. I would just let them know it is not fair to you to not know when you are getting paid. You don't have to make them do it twice. . . . just say from now on ALL payments are due on Friday at drop-off. I personally would just worry about making sure they pay you at drop-off or pick-up & let them know if they don't you can't provide services. It's too easy for them to go somewhere else & save a buck by not paying you for what you already provided. Sorry you've had to deal with this, I'm sure it's stressful.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:30 AM 01-16-2010
what I do sometimes to help them out is the first week they pay one week plus one day, they do this each week for 10 weeks , at the end, they are 2 weeks "ahead" and that is my 2 week deposit. Most My parents pay a 2 week deposit prior to starting care then pay for the week ahead. So typically on the first day of care they pay me for 3 weeks care. Unless I make an arrangement like desecribed before. Then if they get snippy and leave, or are late,.. I already have that money.

momofboys 06:44 AM 01-16-2010

I didn't quite answer your question. I currently only have one family (family 2 is starting next week!) so there was no changing the way they paid me. They always paid me ahead of time so there was no reaction per se. Good luck!!!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:12 AM 01-16-2010
they are no tighter on money than you are. =-) they work,.. and get paid,.. so should you.

Originally Posted by :

tymaboy 07:49 AM 01-16-2010
I think it would be a good idea for you to update/revise your policy. Make it clear what days they are to pay for- snow days, vacation, sick etc. I do not charge for snow days or vac days unless they take more then a weeks vac. I do not charge for days that I take off, but I have all this stated in my policy. I also get paid on Friday or the last day the child was in care. If the kid ends up sick on a Friday then they must pay on Monday, unless they were only in care for a few days the week before then I will just tell them to wait till Friday. Some providers this does not work for them but for me I have never had a problem.

I do not know if this link will work but this is my policy I have tried to cover all possible situations that may arise. The sad thing is a lot of what is in it has happened & that is why it is so long. If you want to use any parts of it go ahead.
Unregistered 07:50 AM 01-16-2010
I make my dcp pay every friday in advance of care, if its late i charge $20 a day starting within the first hour payment was due, and its do at DROP OFF not pick up..I charge everyday for late fees including sat and sun. When i went to pre payment i gave a months written notice and that was that, I didnt really care if the parents liked it, i was tired of stressing about if i was gonna get paid. Now i dont. And there is nooooooo way i would set around waiting for payment, charge the late fee if its not on time and if they have to drop it off later because they didnt when they were suppose to they will have to wait untill my daycare is open. I have it stated that evenings and weekends i am closed and payments will not be accepted during that time but they will be charged the daily late fee. I've had no real issues since starting this. Good luck
DBug 09:14 AM 01-16-2010
This won't help with the late payment issues, but it may help with the cheque-bouncing issues. From day 1, I've always required that I be paid in cash. We live in a small town, and the closest ATM is 10-15 minutes away. Still, it forces the parents to think ahead and I haven't had too many problems with parents forgetting (especially after reminding them about the late fees!). I initially did it because I can only cash cheques in the city, which is just plain inconvenient for me. But it's had the added benefit of eliminating the possibility of bounced cheques, NSF charges, and having to chase down more money from parents.

Honestly, in this day and age of an ATM on most street corners, I don't think there's any reason why parents would have to use cheques ...
Carole's Daycare 12:30 PM 01-19-2010
Agreed- If she could go to work, she could get to you and pay you. This time perhaps if she throws a fit and you have no written policy, you may have to give in, but let that parent know that in the future if you are open and the child is scheduled, you will expect to be paid. Then create a new policy or a policy addendum to be signed by all clients.
Lucy 02:44 AM 01-24-2010
If you forgot to cover this in your handbook, then I would let it go this time, but make sure she knows that you'll charge next time. Send out an addendum page for your handbook.
Tags:charge, payments, snow, time off
Reply Up