Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Charge for Inclement Weather?
momofboys 05:07 AM 02-09-2010
Now I am not talking about major snow emergencies. I have one parent who is a teacher. She did not have school today so she stayed home with her kids. Well she didn't know she didn't have school until I told her, lol! Anyway, today is my heavier day with her family. I have two of her kids all day & her older son B & A school. Well of course when she found out there was no school she went home. I know that she will get paid from her school. I will not give her a discount if she asks. In my opinion I can not control the weather. Now, if it was so bad that every business was closed (not just schools) I might consider it or if she wasw self-employed & couldn't get to her work b/c of the weather. But the way I look at it is she is getting paid, why shouldn't I too? Now b/c her husband picked up from work last night he didn't have the check & b/c she was only in my doorway long enough to find out there was no school she didn't pay me. My policy has always been payment at pickup on Monday for that week of work. Looks like I won't get paid until tomorrow. Sigh. . . but that is another story.
Persephone 05:15 AM 02-09-2010
I think if the business is closed due to the snow that they should not have to pay (not counting schools because in this area they close for a 1/2 inch of snow).
originalkat 05:27 AM 02-09-2010
My parents pay for all weather related closings. I do not close when public schools close, but even if they keep their kid home (which most do) for snow days they still pay.
tymaboy 05:32 AM 02-09-2010
If your policy says paid days even if they are not there then you should be paid. If the weather is REALY bad & every place is closed then I may give a break but I do not give their job a 2nd thought (self employed, paid days off etc) If they signed a contract stating that they would pay for non attending days then they get charged. I do not charge for non attending days unless they were suppose to be here & do not show. I do this cuz of all the post that I read about how parents bring their child when they do not have to work will go out in the bad weather cuz they paid for the day.
safechner 06:40 AM 02-09-2010
My policy: Parents are expected to pay fees whether their child is in attendance or not, including but not limited to absences due to sickness inclement weather. They still have to pay because my business is still open. You should get paid no matter what.
Unregistered 07:11 AM 02-09-2010
I agree I think if your daycare is open and they do not bring their child then that is on them.
momma2girls 07:41 AM 02-09-2010
I know today in Iowa several schools/preschools are closed all around area!! I don't close, but I know alot of them do, even in home ones do at times. I know 2 of my children, attend preschool, they close if the schools close, and they still have to pay, their payments are monthly for preschools. I know this particular preschool have closed quite often due to weather, sick teachers, funeral leaves, etc. they still pay regardless!!
Tags:inclement weather, paid days, snow
Reply Up