Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Winter Storm
mac60 05:52 AM 02-09-2010
We are just getting the first few inches of snow from our storm moving in. I cleaned out the driveway at 5:45 this morning, and there is already another 2 inches on the driveway. They are calling for 9 to 14 today/tonight/tomorrow. School is cancelled today. My daughter left for college this morning....a community college 20 miles away. Her friend is picking up a group from our town in a big 4 dr truck and they are all riding together. Scares me having them out on the roads when they are this bad. I hope they cancel the college classes for tonight.....otherwise I will be driving in it at 5:15. I only have 1 extra this morning since school was cancelled. We are going to bake cookies this morning. Hopefully it is a quiet day.
momofboys 06:04 AM 02-09-2010
Hope you have fun making cookies! Good day for it! My boys are home today b/c of no school. One family did not come b/c their mom was off work (she teaches). We got 11-12 inches last Friday & we are supposed to get about 6-8 in more in the next day or two!
Unregistered 06:06 AM 02-09-2010
What part of the state are you in? I am in the Grand Rapids area. It is coming quickly down here as well. untill my registered account gets approval, May I ask what you do for marketing to get you name out in public. Craigslist is very cut throat here so I need several avenues in starting to get my home daycare going. This waiting game with the state in order to have kids in my home legally may just drive me nuts.
originalkat 06:13 AM 02-09-2010
I wonder if you all are getting the storm that just passed through here. Is it coming in from the Southwest? Although we only got about 6 inches. I was also shoveling the drive yesterday morning. Very wet snow...and perfect for Snowmen! Mmm Cookies sound good.
actaktmdt 06:17 AM 02-09-2010
Im in the Grand Rapids, MI area and its coming in fast and hard today. Tomarrow is count day for the schools and thats not good! Glad to see a MI provider on here.
mac60 06:55 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What part of the state are you in? I am in the Grand Rapids area. It is coming quickly down here as well. untill my registered account gets approval, May I ask what you do for marketing to get you name out in public. Craigslist is very cut throat here so I need several avenues in starting to get my home daycare going. This waiting game with the state in order to have kids in my home legally may just drive me nuts.
Are you in Grand Rapids, OH or Grand Rapids, MI.
actaktmdt 06:57 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Are you in Grand Rapids, OH or Grand Rapids, MI.
Grand Rapids, MI.
momma2girls 07:43 AM 02-09-2010
I am in Iowa, and it is still snowing here, supposed to be 8-10 or more before it is over!! OH the joys of Iowa winters!!!!
AnythingsPossible 11:36 AM 02-09-2010
I miss good snow storms. I can't remember the last time we had a really good snow. I think it was about 6 years ago!
momofsix 03:40 PM 02-10-2010
count day in GR MI--so we KNEW GRPS and EGRPS would close, if they didnt the numbers would be WAY down, otherwise they hardly EVER close!
actaktmdt 06:14 PM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
count day in GR MI--so we KNEW GRPS and EGRPS would close, if they didnt the numbers would be WAY down, otherwise they hardly EVER close!
it was count day state wide, however I think the dep. of ed gave the schools another date to due to the weather and told schools in advance that if they closed the wouldnt be an issue.
melissa ann 06:05 AM 02-11-2010
I had no kids yesterdy or today. I love this weather. Saturday we had 14 inches of snow and yesterday we got another 16 or so. This is great. We've been "spared" the last few winters. But to my dismay. So, I say bring it on. I heard there is another possiblility of snow for monday. We can only hope
I'm in Central PA.
safechner 06:31 AM 02-11-2010
You guys, so lucky! It is finally snowing in Texas (DFW) but I still have to work today. My daughters have to go school haha! It should be around 3 inches but no ice.
Chickenhauler 05:19 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
You guys, so lucky! It is finally snowing in Texas (DFW) but I still have to work today. My daughters have to go school haha! It should be around 3 inches but no ice.
And any of you northern folks who get worried about snow, you should head to TX for a snowstorm once. The phrase is "God put it there, God will take it away" is policy. Little if any plowing, sanding, etc.

I'll take 40" of snow in IA over 4" in Dallas any day.
momofboys 05:56 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
And any of you northern folks who get worried about snow, you should head to TX for a snowstorm once. The phrase is "God put it there, God will take it away" is policy. Little if any plowing, sanding, etc.

I'll take 40" of snow in IA over 4" in Dallas any day.
LOL! Love it!!! Maybe true but not fun when b/c you got too much snow the mailman won't walk your route, the snow plows only cover the main roads & not your road & even when most of the snow is gone there is a ton of black ice there ready to take you by surprise.

melissa ann 01:30 PM 02-14-2010
The mail didn't go for us on Feb 6 & 10 due to the snowstorms. Saturday the 6th our newspaper didn't get here until Sunday. There's more snow for tomorrow. right now they are saying 3-6 inches with the worst case scenerio(not my words, the meterologist) 9-12. And I think there is no mail tomorrow due to the holiday. I hope for any bills that get paid a little late, the companies take in some consideration that the mail didn't go for us for 2 days because of the snow.
Chickenhauler 11:18 PM 02-14-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
The mail didn't go for us on Feb 6 & 10 due to the snowstorms. Saturday the 6th our newspaper didn't get here until Sunday. There's more snow for tomorrow. right now they are saying 3-6 inches with the worst case scenerio(not my words, the meterologist) 9-12. And I think there is no mail tomorrow due to the holiday. I hope for any bills that get paid a little late, the companies take in some consideration that the mail didn't go for us for 2 days because of the snow.
The bright side about the mail thing....while the door to door (or box to box) carriers may not have been out doing their routes, the trucks, distribution centers, and PO to PO rigs still roll.
Tags:grand rapids, iowa, snow, storm
Reply Up