Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>With Winter Weather Coming
sahm2three 07:28 AM 11-12-2010
What is your policy about snow days? I am leaning towards if there is no travel, no way of getting out, I will not charge. If it is iffy out, but I am going to remain open, I will charge for that day. What are your policies?
QualiTcare 07:38 AM 11-12-2010
i think your policy would be abused. that's a perfect way for parents to use their PTO and sick days for the winter months and not pay for childcare because "they can't get out."

how about going with the local school schedule? if school is closed, and a child can't make it, then they don't have to pay? there will still be parents who have to go to work even if schools are closed, but if it's bad enough for school to close, and they say they can't get out, it's probably legit.
safechner 07:39 AM 11-12-2010
About snow days or ice weather, I still open and I do charge if they decided not to bring the kids here. It is the same thing, the company still open and some employer decided not go to work but they get paid.
DCMom 07:46 AM 11-12-2010
I don't really have a specific written 'snow day' policy; if I close unexpectedly then they don't have to pay.
MyAngels 07:48 AM 11-12-2010
I remain open for all snow days (I figure I'm here, why not?), and so it is a regular day charged at regular rates here. I will even take the school age siblings of current families, generally at no charge for the day.
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 11-12-2010
I live WAAAAAY up north in Minnesota where the snow is deep and temps are often well below 0. I do not live in my childcare home so I must travel into town about 7 miles every day. I travel on small county roads, not freeways and never once in 17 years have I not made it to work because of snow or sub zero temps. I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix and do not have 4 wheel drive. I charge like any other day and do not close for winter storms. Up here, winter is winter. You adjust, leave earlier, drive slower and go where you need to go...no excuses. If a parent chooses not to bring their child, that is completely their choice, and if they want to use 1 of their personal/absent days where I don't charge that is up to them. If they have no days left, they pay. I agree with pp, people will take advantage of it.
SilverSabre25 08:12 AM 11-12-2010
If there is a level 3 snow emergency (no travel allowed) then I am closed. Anything else, I'm open.
sahm2three 08:20 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i think your policy would be abused. that's a perfect way for parents to use their PTO and sick days for the winter months and not pay for childcare because "they can't get out."

how about going with the local school schedule? if school is closed, and a child can't make it, then they don't have to pay? there will still be parents who have to go to work even if schools are closed, but if it's bad enough for school to close, and they say they can't get out, it's probably legit.
I think that is a good point. You are right. I need to write it out so that there is no question. In this area, if the school is closed, it is because you have 6 feet of snow on the ground and can't get anywhere, so to go with the school closure is a good idea! Otherwise, I will remain open and will charge for the day.
daysofelijah 09:52 AM 11-12-2010
Schools never close here, I think the last snow day was in 2002. All but one of my families live within 5 miles of my home and have at least one parent who works within 5 miles of my home, so there is really no reason to close as some one would always be going to work.

If no one showed up for some odd reason I would still charge.
laundrymom 10:02 AM 11-12-2010
I dont close, I have mission essential families, and dr's and nurses as parents so they go to work no matter what,... I have had however forced overtime due to an emergency,.. I had a mom and dad (dr's both of them) working at the hosp when a snowstorm came in,... they were stuck at the hospital because noone could get to the hosp to relieve them,.. so I had their kids until plows got through,.. It was a january,.. and schools were closed almost 3 weeks!!! ahhhhhh,..lol

Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
Schools never close here, I think the last snow day was in 2002. All but one of my families live within 5 miles of my home and have at least one parent who works within 5 miles of my home, so there is really no reason to close as some one would always be going to work.

If no one showed up for some odd reason I would still charge.

caitlin 10:36 AM 11-12-2010
I remain open unless I am without power or water, which does happen quite a bit where I live. If I close, they don't have to pay, but if I am open they pay.
legomom922 10:42 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
About snow days or ice weather, I still open and I do charge if they decided not to bring the kids here. It is the same thing, the company still open and some employer decided not go to work but they get paid.
Agree. Just because it's snowing doesn't mean my bills can be paid late..I rely on that income, so I will say I am open for those who still need to go to work. Weather or n ot they decide to go into work or bring their kids is up to them but I still will charge for the day. I don't know of any buisnesses that close for the weather and tell their employees to stay home! Even when school is closed, staff is still required to report. they only close schools for the buses and walkers anyway.

Now if there was a huge emergency, like a tornado hit or something like that, then I wouldnt, but I live in NY and dont have to worry about that!!
legomom922 10:44 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
so to go with the school closure is a good idea! .
I would rethink that one if I were you! School closes for buses and walkers, and most times teachers still have to work!
QualiTcare 10:54 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I live WAAAAAY up north in Minnesota where the snow is deep and temps are often well below 0. I do not live in my childcare home so I must travel into town about 7 miles every day. I travel on small county roads, not freeways and never once in 17 years have I not made it to work because of snow or sub zero temps. I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix and do not have 4 wheel drive. I charge like any other day and do not close for winter storms. Up here, winter is winter. You adjust, leave earlier, drive slower and go where you need to go...no excuses. If a parent chooses not to bring their child, that is completely their choice, and if they want to use 1 of their personal/absent days where I don't charge that is up to them. If they have no days left, they pay. I agree with pp, people will take advantage of it.
well, i think it does matter where you live. in MN it's expected to snow, freeze, etc. therefore, the city/county has the equipment and employees to make the roads driveable. plus, people there are experienced driving in those conditions and probably have equipment to clean up their own driveways pretty quickly.

when it snows here, like really snows, it could be a day or 2 before a truck comes to clear the road. there are a lot of country roads that don't get cleared for several days. it's not something the county has a lot of money set aside before because it rarely happens. the last house i lived in had a driveway and you had JUST enough room on a good day to back out and get onto the road without falling down a 10 foot embankment. it snowed a lot (wouldn't be a lot to you, but a lot for here) and there's no way on earth i would've tried to leave - NOBODY on my street did bc of that mini cliff. the snow started when i was on my way home and it was scary - i couldn't see ANYTHING and there were cars all over the road, in ditches, etc. people here have no experience driving in that weather.

the general rule here is: if the bus drivers can't safely transport the kids to school, then the schools close. it's a pretty rare occassion. there's really no reason for a provider who stays at home to close bc they'll be there anyway, but i wouldn't think it would be unreasonable to not charge in the rare event of a snow storm where people are trapped at home.
QualiTcare 10:58 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I would rethink that one if I were you! School closes for buses and walkers, and most times teachers still have to work!
how would that affect anything, i mean, the teachers having to work?

she would still charge if a child came, but wouldn't charge if the child didn't come bc the parent was trapped at home.
legomom922 11:20 AM 11-12-2010
I dont know of any business'es that actually close because of bad weather! Schools close but generally staff still have to report. It would have to be one huge hek of a storm where people are really "trapped' in their homes, and even then, employeers expect you to get to work. So if her school closes and the parent still has to go to work, why should she waive the fee? If she puts that she follows the school closings, she will lose alot of money, because schools generally close while most business are still open.
AfterSchoolMom 12:18 PM 11-12-2010
My policy says that I'll stay open unless travel becomes impossible or the power is out - and then I charge half rate for the day. I've never had to close due to weather, but it doesn't snow more than a couple of feet at any given time here.
I'm sure that if I did, I'd still have parents fighting me over being paid half even though it's in there. I can't control the weather though, and still need to eat!
QualiTcare 12:58 PM 11-12-2010
I dont know of any business'es that actually close because of bad weather! Schools close but generally staff still have to report. It would have to be one huge hek of a storm where people are really "trapped' in their homes, and even then, employeers expect you to get to work. So if her school closes and the parent still has to go to work, why should she waive the fee? If she puts that she follows the school closings, she will lose alot of money, because schools generally close while most business are still open.
she wouldn't be closed because she's at home anyway - no reason to close. anyone that had to work and could make it to work could still bring their child and pay. if school was open and they couldn't make it - too bad, they'd still have to pay. if school was closed and they said they couldn't get out of their driveway - chances are, they're not lying - so she'd waive the fee IF schools were closed AND the kid didn't come.
legomom922 01:10 PM 11-12-2010
if school was closed and they said they couldn't get out of their driveway - chances are, they're not lying - so she'd waive the fee IF schools were closed AND the kid didn't come.
Couldn't get out of their driveway, and NOT yet having plowed or shovled the driveway are 2 different things. I would lose pay because someone didn't want to get up early to shovel the driveway, kwim? My husband gets up 1 hr earlier all winter just to do the driveway, no matter how bad it is, because even when the schools are closed, he is still expected to go to work, like most people are. Shovel your driveway and bring your kid to daycare and get your butt to work and if you don't you pay me anyway!

My point is if you go by the school closing schedule, you will get burned, because some people will use that as an excuse not to pay.
Blackcat31 01:34 PM 11-12-2010
well, i think it does matter where you live. in MN it's expected to snow, freeze, etc. therefore, the city/county has the equipment and employees to make the roads driveable. plus, people there are experienced driving in those conditions and probably have equipment to clean up their own driveways pretty quickly.

when it snows here, like really snows, it could be a day or 2 before a truck comes to clear the road. there are a lot of country roads that don't get cleared for several days. it's not something the county has a lot of money set aside before because it rarely happens. the last house i lived in had a driveway and you had JUST enough room on a good day to back out and get onto the road without falling down a 10 foot embankment. it snowed a lot (wouldn't be a lot to you, but a lot for here) and there's no way on earth i would've tried to leave - NOBODY on my street did bc of that mini cliff. the snow started when i was on my way home and it was scary - i couldn't see ANYTHING and there were cars all over the road, in ditches, etc. people here have no experience driving in that weather.

the general rule here is: if the bus drivers can't safely transport the kids to school, then the schools close. it's a pretty rare occassion. there's really no reason for a provider who stays at home to close bc they'll be there anyway, but i wouldn't think it would be unreasonable to not charge in the rare event of a snow storm where people are trapped at home.
You are absolutely right! We are better equipped for snow because of where we are located. Our schools RARELY close like daysofelijah said in a previous post. I can see how snow where you live can be crippling for a city/town. My DH and I went to a NASCAR race in Daytona, Florida a few years back. The weather was "winter-like" and I was amazed at how differently people responded because obviously they were not used to cold. It was February and like 50 degrees out. My kids were swimming in the outdoor pool and there were people near us with down coats and mittens on! Anyways, point is, you are correct, snow and storms have completely different effects and outcomes for people dependant on your location.
QualiTcare 01:55 PM 11-12-2010
Couldn't get out of their driveway, and NOT yet having plowed or shovled the driveway are 2 different things. I would lose pay because someone didn't want to get up early to shovel the driveway, kwim? My husband gets up 1 hr earlier all winter just to do the driveway, no matter how bad it is, because even when the schools are closed, he is still expected to go to work, like most people are. Shovel your driveway and bring your kid to daycare and get your butt to work and if you don't you pay me anyway!

My point is if you go by the school closing schedule, you will get burned, because some people will use that as an excuse not to pay.
it's not going to do much good to shovel the driveway if you get to the bottom and meet a snow/ice covered road. i disagree you'll get burned going by the school schedule. how often do schools close? rarely ever.

i actually have worked for businesses that closed early and sent us all home because of the snow. my parents missed my college graduation because of the snow. there were students who missed their own graduation! they actually ended up having a 2nd ceremony. there's more involved than waking up and shoveling the driveway. like i said, it depends on where you live.
SilverSabre25 07:19 PM 11-12-2010
it's not going to do much good to shovel the driveway if you get to the bottom and meet a snow/ice covered road. i disagree you'll get burned going by the school schedule. how often do schools close? rarely ever.

i actually have worked for businesses that closed early and sent us all home because of the snow. my parents missed my college graduation because of the snow. there were students who missed their own graduation! they actually ended up having a 2nd ceremony. there's more involved than waking up and shoveling the driveway. like i said, it depends on where you live.
Actually, how often schools close depends entirely on your area. Around here (central OH) there's usually one or two snow days a year, and it's not unusual for some/most districts to meet or exceed their quota of calamity days (most often, 5 or 6). Our county rarely shuts down (level 3 snow emergency)--maybe every couple of years we'll get a lvl3 for all or part of a day. When we have bad snow, it's often accompanied by ice, too, and that's what closes things even more than the snow. That, or the timing of the snowstorm might cause schools to close for the day, if the worst of the storm falls during rush hour or something.
legomom922 04:35 AM 11-13-2010
I'm in the country, and our schools close alot at the drop of a hot which personaly is ridiculas! they closed one day last yr and and me and my husband sais "why" just because a little snow fell? Then later that day the sun was out and it had all melted...it was so silly! But I guess out here where some buses are driving 20 miles to reach school, they are more concerned about the safety of the bus drivers. So I can only speak for MY area, and we do get alot of snow here in upstate NY, but it is never bad enough where I would want to lose pay over it, so I would never put that in MY contract.
melissa ann 04:50 AM 11-13-2010
I am open during any inclement weather. It's up to the parent/guardian to bring their child. Payment is expected. If the governor declares a state of emergency and shuts down the roads then I will not charge.
Living in Pa, we get N'orEasters and can get slammed by snow.
misol 07:06 AM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I am open during any inclement weather. It's up to the parent/guardian to bring their child. Payment is expected. If the governor declares a state of emergency and shuts down the roads then I will not charge.
Living in Pa, we get N'orEasters and can get slammed by snow.

Same here. I am open during bad weather and parents are told to use their discretion. I will not charge if there is an official state of emergency.
AfterSchoolMom 05:11 AM 12-02-2010
Continuing with this discussion:

We're weather wimps in my area of the country. It only takes a couple of feet of snow to shut down everything, and we're not equipped to handle plowing and such if it snows for a lenghty period of time. Here's my question - I remember several years ago we had an ice storm and the whole area was without power for nearly a week. Roads were impassable b/c we were not equipped to deal with the situation.

If this happend, it would indeed be a state of emergency (and it was then). Based on what several of you have said, you wouldn't charge for that. Would you not charge even if you had to shut down for a whole week, or even 3 or 4 days in a row? My contract states that they'll be charged half rate b/c I can't control the weather...but it seems I'm the minority there. However, I don't think it's fair for me not to be able to pay my bills because of a circumstance that is beyond my control.
QualiTcare 05:22 AM 12-02-2010
i think it would depend on if the parents went to work and if they got paid.

well, first of all, i would remain open for the parents who COULD make it to work, so if they could make it to work then obviously they'd bring the child and pay.

if there were parents who couldn't make it to work, but they were paid salary and were still getting paid - i would charge them.

if the parent was a waitress or worked at wal mart and couldn't get to work and obviously didn't get paid - i personally couldn't charge them. it would suck not to get paid, but obviously they know that bc they didn't get paid either.
AfterSchoolMom 05:28 AM 12-02-2010
You're right about that, definitely. I'm talking strictly about days when you MUST close, like when the power is out. As I said, our power has been known to stay out for a week or more. What then?
DancingQueen 05:45 AM 12-02-2010
I'm open regardless of weather conditions - and if they can't get out - they don't have to come but they still pay me.
QualiTcare 05:46 AM 12-02-2010
yeah, that's hard. i know it would suck not being paid when it's out of your control, but it would suck as a parent having to pay when it wasn't their fault either.

this is where i like to remember how everyone says "this is a business so treat it like a business."

if i booked a hotel at the beach for a week and there was a hurricane that flooded it - it would suck for them not getting paid, but i wouldn't pay when i didn't get to stay. if you booked a party venue and their power went out...you wouldn't pay if there was no party. if your mom (or dad, or child) had a home health nurse and she couldn't make it because of a disaster, would you want to pay her for caring for your mom that week?
QualiTcare 05:49 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
I'm open regardless of weather conditions - and if they can't get out - they don't have to come but they still pay me.
yeah, but now she's asking about like if the power is out. if you're licensed, i don't think there's any way you could stay open for a week without power.

btw - if it's something that's likely to happen in your area, you might think about getting a generator.
DancingQueen 05:50 AM 12-02-2010
but if my house gets flooded I still have to pay the mortgage

or...

If I can't make it to work in corporate america I still get paid

or...

If my car doesn't start I still have to make my payments and pay the insurance

or...

If I can't make my doc appointment and don't give 24 hours notice I get hit with a $25.00 canc. fee

This is one of those situations where you have to really decide what playing field you want your business to be on.
If you want it to be a job and a career then you should allow yourselves the same benefits that a career person would be allowed. If you want to treat it like a 'service' .. like a hair salon or something like that.. then you are allowed less benefits.

I think either option is fine - but I think that you have to respect either option. I respect those that choose to run their business more like a service. But I would hope that I would also be respected for running my business as a career.
momofboys 05:51 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
If there is a level 3 snow emergency (no travel allowed) then I am closed. Anything else, I'm open.
Same for me & we have had some of these just last year so I was closed!
DancingQueen 05:53 AM 12-02-2010
if power is out - I am closed - I missed that part. My apologies.
momofboys 05:54 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Actually, how often schools close depends entirely on your area. Around here (central OH) there's usually one or two snow days a year, and it's not unusual for some/most districts to meet or exceed their quota of calamity days (most often, 5 or 6). Our county rarely shuts down (level 3 snow emergency)--maybe every couple of years we'll get a lvl3 for all or part of a day. When we have bad snow, it's often accompanied by ice, too, and that's what closes things even more than the snow. That, or the timing of the snowstorm might cause schools to close for the day, if the worst of the storm falls during rush hour or something.

Yep, that was us last year too. I am in western central Ohio & my school district used 8, yes 8 snow days last year! Now that we are only allowed 3 calamity days I am guessing the schools will conserve those days like crazy when possible.
QualiTcare 06:15 AM 12-02-2010
but if my house gets flooded I still have to pay the mortgage

or...

If I can't make it to work in corporate america I still get paid

or...

If my car doesn't start I still have to make my payments and pay the insurance

or...

If I can't make my doc appointment and don't give 24 hours notice I get hit with a $25.00 canc. fee

This is one of those situations where you have to really decide what playing field you want your business to be on.
If you want it to be a job and a career then you should allow yourselves the same benefits that a career person would be allowed. If you want to treat it like a 'service' .. like a hair salon or something like that.. then you are allowed less benefits.

I think either option is fine - but I think that you have to respect either option. I respect those that choose to run their business more like a service. But I would hope that I would also be respected for running my business as a career.
yeah, but there is a difference when you're providing a service. either way you put it, you're getting paid for the time you spend caring for a child. so, if you don't care for the child, and the parent has no say in the matter (aside from contracted sick days, etc) - it wouldn't make sense for them to pay. you would have to pay a cancellation fee for the doctor, but if the doctor called you to cancel - would you still pay for the visit?
DancingQueen 06:17 AM 12-02-2010
Nope but if Aetna called to say that they were shutting down and I didn't have to come into work today because of a watermain break - I'd still get paid.
QualiTcare 06:33 AM 12-02-2010
Nope but if Aetna called to say that they were shutting down and I didn't have to come into work today because of a watermain break - I'd still get paid.
true, but this isn't corporate america. most people working in the service industry don't get paid. hourly employees don't get paid - restaurant employees, retail workers, etc. there are ups and downs to working in the corporate world...or not. like i was saying in a different thread, if you were paying a nurse to provide care in your home and she couldn't come due to an "act of god" it's not likely you would pay her for that week - or would you?

i think anyone would have a hard time getting parents to pay for a week they were closed no matter how it "should be."
MyAngels 06:42 AM 12-02-2010
I bought a generator (I hate being without power ) so I never have to close.

I do think I would probably not charge if it were a major thing where everything was closed down for more than a day or two. Fortunately I can only remember once in my adult life that this ever happened where I am.
DancingQueen 06:53 AM 12-02-2010
I think that if it turned into an entire week there would definately be adjustments made.

Originally Posted by :
ourly employees don't get paid - restaurant employees, retail workers, etc.
I'm not any of those things. I'm a childcare provider.
jen 07:08 AM 12-02-2010
yeah, that's hard. i know it would suck not being paid when it's out of your control, but it would suck as a parent having to pay when it wasn't their fault either.

this is where i like to remember how everyone says "this is a business so treat it like a business."

if i booked a hotel at the beach for a week and there was a hurricane that flooded it - it would suck for them not getting paid, but i wouldn't pay when i didn't get to stay. if you booked a party venue and their power went out...you wouldn't pay if there was no party. if your mom (or dad, or child) had a home health nurse and she couldn't make it because of a disaster, would you want to pay her for caring for your mom that week?
That's one way to look at it...

Another way is this: If you can't get to the gym because of bad weather, do you get a pro-rated discount? If you rent a parking space, but don't go to work because of bad weather, do you get a refund for that day? If you purchase theater tickets, but can't get to the show, do you get a refund?

Nope, nope and nope.
QualiTcare 07:08 AM 12-02-2010
I think that if it turned into an entire week there would definately be adjustments made.

I'm not any of those things. I'm a childcare provider.

"most people working in the service industry don't get paid. hourly employees don't get paid - restaurant employees, retail workers, etc." that's the full context.

so, i get that you're a childcare provider. the point was - childcare providers provide a service. they are one of many employees that get paid based on their service/time which is different from salary employees in the corporate world. it might not be "fair" but that's how it is. although i actually do think it's fair because everyone has the option to work in the corporate world if they want corporate benefits, but that's another story.

"if you were paying a nurse to provide care in your home and she couldn't come due to an "act of god" it's not likely you would pay her for that week - or would you?"

i think the resounding answer would be "no," and you have to think about what you would do in that situation. what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
QualiTcare 07:12 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
That's one way to look at it...

Another way is this: If you can't get to the gym because of bad weather, do you get a pro-rated discount? If you rent a parking space, but don't go to work because of bad weather, do you get a refund for that day? If you purchase theater tickets, but can't get to the show, do you get a refund?

Nope, nope and nope.
if the gym closed down because of a flood then yes - i'm pretty sure they would let me make up that time. if the theater closed down because the power was out then yes, i believe i would get a refund. if i rented a parking space and the parking lot was shut down then yes, i'm pretty sure i would get a refund.

we're not talking about a service being available and not being used, but a service being paid for that isn't available. there's a huge difference.
DancingQueen 07:14 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by :
they are one of many employees that get paid based on their service/time
I don't. I am not an hourly person. I am a salary worker. I get paid regardless of the hours their children are here etc.

The only exceptions being the UNPAID days written into my contract. I have not given myself paid vacation time. I take those days UNPAID. I also shut down between xmas and new years and I chose for those to be UNpaid as well.

But (unlike the service industries you listed above) I DO get paid sick time and paid personal days.

The joy of creating your own contract
DancingQueen 07:15 AM 12-02-2010
Again - if it was a long term power outage - then I would absolutely consider not charging them. But the original question asked about snow days. I am referring to those days. The gym stays open in inclement weather, so does the parking lot and so does my daycare.

The power outage for a week - as I've expressed would be a rare and unique situation and I seriously doubt that I would charge for it - however.. I won't put that in writing anywhere
jen 07:16 AM 12-02-2010
i think anyone would have a hard time getting parents to pay for a week they were closed no matter how it "should be."
I think that depends on how much people value the service that you provide. If a parent feels that they can get equally good service elsewhere, for the same price or less, they will likely move on.

Look at it this way, there are Comparison Levels, CL's, which are the services that an individual expects to recieve. Then there are Outcomes, the actual services that an individual gets, and then there are CLalts, which are the available alternatives.

If a parent is getting MORE than they expect out of their provider AND they feel that the alternatives are not likely to be as good as what they are currently getting, the will likely pay for the week. IF they think they can get alternative care that is the same or better somewhere else, without having to work to hard to get it, or pay more for it, they will likely not want to pay the week and leave.

Childcare is NOT a gallon of milk, where one is just as good as the other. In childcare there is the McDonalds variety and the Five Star variety. Providers that provide 5 star service have to work harder, but reap more rewards.
DancingQueen 07:18 AM 12-02-2010
WEll said Jen,

Do you know I have a mom that just got pregnant that is willing to pay the FULL weekly tuition for the newborn starting NOW to hold the spot. She would be paying me 165.00 week ontop of her current son's tuition just to make sure she doesn't lose me.

I'm not requiring her to do this however. But it goes to show how much a valued provider is worth to some parents.
jen 07:30 AM 12-02-2010
if the gym closed down because of a flood then yes - i'm pretty sure they would let me make up that time. if the theater closed down because the power was out then yes, i believe i would get a refund. if i rented a parking space and the parking lot was shut down then yes, i'm pretty sure i would get a refund.

we're not talking about a service being available and not being used, but a service being paid for that isn't available. there's a huge difference.

I don't know about where you live, but in Minnesota, you are not getting a refund from the parking ramp or the health club if they close because of bad weather. And to be a bit more relavent, you wouldn't get one from preschool either.

I Personally, I don't close for bad weather. I'm not going anywhere, if they want to haul their butts out, go for it.
SimpleMom 07:31 AM 12-02-2010
I charge unless I close for a snow day...which I've never had to do.
QualiTcare 07:40 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I don't know about where you live, but in Minnesota, you are not getting a refund from the parking ramp or the health club if they close because of bad weather. And to be a bit more relavent, you wouldn't get one from preschool either.

I Personally, I don't close for bad weather. I'm not going anywhere, if they want to haul their butts out, go for it.
the topic changed and we weren't referring to simply bad weather, but the chilcare closing due to a power outage or some other event for several days.
QualiTcare 07:42 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
You're right about that, definitely. I'm talking strictly about days when you MUST close, like when the power is out. As I said, our power has been known to stay out for a week or more. What then?
this was the question extending beyond the childcare being open and parents not being able to make it.
DancingQueen 07:48 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by :
What is your policy about snow days? I am leaning towards if there is no travel, no way of getting out, I will not charge. If it is iffy out, but I am going to remain open, I will charge for that day. What are your policies?
this is what I was responding to
AfterSchoolMom 09:30 AM 12-02-2010
Sorry if I threadjacked!
QualiTcare 12:22 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Sorry if I threadjacked!
it was a good/relevant question - i think there was some misunderstanding.
Tags:cold weather, snow, weather, winter
Reply Up