Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Shovel?
SilverSabre25 06:38 AM 12-10-2010
When do you shovel your front walk/driveway if it snows overnight? I woke up to an inch of snow this morning (there was nothing at midnight!) and my first dck (well only for the day but still) arrives between 6:30 and 7 AM. Am I "supposed" to (the quotes are to imply that I know I can what I darn well please, but I don't know what dcps expect) get up before any of the kids arrive and shovel the drive and walk (when there's more than a paltry inch; I'm thinking at least 3-4 inches)?
kendallina 06:42 AM 12-10-2010
I doubt that most parents shovel their drive and sidewalk before they leave the house in the morning, so I don't think we should have to either. I do shovel my front steps early (but my earliest is here at 7:50) because they could be pretty dangerous if snow/ice covered.
laundrymom 06:44 AM 12-10-2010
I broom it if I possibly can porch, steps and a 3 foot wide strip to the street. I have them park in the street run their kid in and leave. I let them know this. If they park in the drive and get their feet wet or their hybrid stuck I'm not pushing them out lol.
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
When do you shovel your front walk/driveway if it snows overnight? I woke up to an inch of snow this morning (there was nothing at midnight!) and my first dck (well only for the day but still) arrives between 6:30 and 7 AM. Am I "supposed" to (the quotes are to imply that I know I can what I darn well please, but I don't know what dcps expect) get up before any of the kids arrive and shovel the drive and walk (when there's more than a paltry inch; I'm thinking at least 3-4 inches)?

E Daycare 06:48 AM 12-10-2010
This is my first year with my daycare and I live in southern Ohio so it snows *maybe* a inch here and there until February when it snows a little more. So we salted the steps and whatever is left has been trampled down. Im orginally from Buffalo and my family just got 4 feet last weekend. I lol'ed as we salted our steps from the rain/snow mix that trickled down as my brother had to call a plow to come through pretty much to shovel his driveway. So if youre like me and it snows a inch Id say salt and drive up and down your driveway a bit to "shovel". If you live in better parts of the country where it actually snows normally then well, HAVE FUN WITH THAT
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 12-10-2010
I shovel whenever there is an inch or more of snow...I have rediculously dressed moms..(stiletto heels and such ?!?!) and make a point of telling them that if they don't wear proper footwear for the season, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE for any issues they have. I do shovel after a good inch but not before.....oh, and I have to gloat..we just poured a new sidewalk 2 summers ago...it is extra wide and it is heated!!! Makes ice build up impossible so I am loving it!!
SandeeAR 06:54 AM 12-10-2010
Shovel snow?????? ummmm, never! LOL, I live in Arkansas, we only get shovel worthy snow about every 8-10 years!
SilverSabre25 06:57 AM 12-10-2010
Erin's Daycare, I'm in central OH. OUr snow is usually like yours but this year has been weird!
melskids 07:07 AM 12-10-2010
i have 15 inches already, and have lost my "free" snow shoveler/snow plower. (my FIL is in a nursing home for rehab from a brain tumor, he lives around the corner and was here constantly) so this year, my hubby shovels/plows before he leaves, around 5 a.m. i try to brush off the sidewalk before first arrival at 7:30 if i need to. then after that, its "tough it out"...lol i did sneak out at nap the other day to at least shovel the walk again, ( it snowed all morning). ive warned all the parents to wear boots and be careful. i, toohave parents show up in heels, or one dad wears loafers, its like duhhh!!!!! we have a super long driveway, so if worse comes to worse, they can wait by the road and i'd send the kiddos out, or they can trek in. they all have 4 wheel drive, and we live on a mountain, so they are all used to it anyway. (we had 5 feet last year) ive called a couple of plow guys, but none can promise me to be here before p.m. pick ups, so i said forget it. we'll just have to make due. the biggest issue is i have to be able to get out at 3 o'clock to go pick up the SA off the bus, 2 miles away, soive just been parking down at the end of my driveway facing out in case it snows heavy during the day, i wont have much to shovel out. but boy, what a pain the bus situation is!!!!!
MyAngels 07:15 AM 12-10-2010
When my boys were still living at home we always had the driveway and walks shoveled before anyone showed up. My husband will do it now if it's more than an inch or so, but there have been times he's not available so I just sweep off the porch and steps and let the parents deal with the driveway. I don't think anyone really expects it to be done, but I would imagine they appreciate it if it is.
marniewon 07:17 AM 12-10-2010
We got around an inch last night, maybe a little less. I wouldn't shovel for that, but I noticed when I was getting up and around this morning that my neighbor (dcprovider also) was up shoveling the drive. LOL
mac60 07:22 AM 12-10-2010
For 11 winters I have been out shoveling snow before 6am to make sure everything is clear and safe for clients. Just this morning we had a good inch, and I shoveled. I guess I do it to prevent accidents and lawsuits....as if I shovel and do everything I can on my end, if they fall, I hope I have my ass covered.

No one in my family helps....just this morning I couldn't get the snowblower to work, told my hubby and the lazyass just laid in bed and I had to use the shovel.......and I have a big driveway. We tend to get a lot of snow, not unusual to get several inches to 2 foot drifts.
DanceMom 07:25 AM 12-10-2010
My husband or myself shovel every morning if we need to...I should let the moms fall on their asses but I dont .. ha ha..kidding.
They are my clients. I dont need anyone slipping and breaking their leg on my property...One of my husbands employees slipped and fell on the ice on his driveway last week and broke his leg in three places had to have surgery that same day...Id rather shovel than be sorry !
kendallina 07:37 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:
This is my first year with my daycare and I live in southern Ohio so it snows *maybe* a inch here and there until February when it snows a little more. So we salted the steps and whatever is left has been trampled down. Im orginally from Buffalo and my family just got 4 feet last weekend. I lol'ed as we salted our steps from the rain/snow mix that trickled down as my brother had to call a plow to come through pretty much to shovel his driveway. So if youre like me and it snows a inch Id say salt and drive up and down your driveway a bit to "shovel". If you live in better parts of the country where it actually snows normally then well, HAVE FUN WITH THAT
Hi Erin! I'm in southern Ohio too! Near Cincy
kitkat 07:53 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
For 11 winters I have been out shoveling snow before 6am to make sure everything is clear and safe for clients. Just this morning we had a good inch, and I shoveled. I guess I do it to prevent accidents and lawsuits....as if I shovel and do everything I can on my end, if they fall, I hope I have my ass covered.
I'm with you Mac! The insurance co. will still go after the homeowner for any medical bills related to a fall, but at least I would feel better knowing I had tried to clear everything. DH shovels/snow blows before he leaves for work, assuming it's done snowing. I hate the thought of having anyone fall on our sidewalk, driveway, or steps. We take every precaution possible to have it cleared before anyone gets here to avoid falls by dcks, mailman, etc. If it snows during the day, I try to get out to shovel a path from the drive to the front door during nap time. If it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done and parents understand since it's during the day. Besides, city code says we have to have sidewalks cleared 24 hours after a snowfall. I'm in WI, so snow is common. We are suppose to get 5-10 inches tomorrow!
GretasLittleFriends 08:21 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I'm in WI, so snow is common. We are suppose to get 5-10 inches tomorrow!
I wish!!! I'm in Minnesota and right now they are saying to expect between 8 and 16 inches of snow. I'll have to start the tractor and plow with that. We only shovel a concrete pad that is right outside our door. It's 2'x3'. Everything else gets plowed.

I was lucky last year and the times that wee needed to plow my husband happened to be home. I'm not going to be that lucky this year.
mommyof3 08:27 AM 12-10-2010
I shovel before everyone comes and also put Icemelt down ,If its snowing during the day I take the kids outside and they usaly like to help ,I`m not allowed to lefe the kids bydemself not even for 5 min.
jen 08:37 AM 12-10-2010
Shovel?? I think that is one of those things my husband uses!
My Daycare 08:57 AM 12-10-2010
My husband shoveled this morning. However, at pick-up, if it snows during the day they are out of luck.
MN Mom 09:18 AM 12-10-2010
I like to shovel for exercise...however I live in S.MN in the country, and my drive is much to big to shovel. The farm has a plow that we use when needed.

I have, however, decided that as of this year my 11 y/o dd's job is to shovel the deck right outside our door, the patio and the 2 sidewalks by the garage. She's not so happy about that!

I did just shovel the compacted snow on our deck. Wasn't too bad, but with the snow they are predicting for this area...the last thing I needed was more snow/ice over slippery compacted snow... =( I sure do hope this thing stays south (sorry Nan!).
E Daycare 09:23 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Hi Erin! I'm in southern Ohio too! Near Cincy
Same here, in Monroe actually. Right down from the new outlets. So when the weathers nice I take the kiddos for a nice walk. When I mean walk I mean shopping at the outlets. LOL
kendallina 11:57 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:
Same here, in Monroe actually. Right down from the new outlets. So when the weathers nice I take the kiddos for a nice walk. When I mean walk I mean shopping at the outlets. LOL
LOL...wish I lived near outlets. I live in Oxford, no shopping whatsoever!
MommyMuffin 12:01 PM 12-10-2010
I just do it when I can. If its only an inch and I dont have time...well too bad. My husband works a lot and I cannot leave my own kids alone while I shovel so it is at the mercy of my hubby.
We will be getting about 8 - 11 inches of snow tonight so I will be out there after my girl goes to sleep but thankfully tomorrow is saturday!!
kidkair 12:13 PM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do shovel after a good inch but not before.....oh, and I have to gloat..we just poured a new sidewalk 2 summers ago...it is extra wide and it is heated!!! Makes ice build up impossible so I am loving it!!
Oh I am so looking into this! I have a corner house so we have lots to shovel. I get out as early as I can and shovel what I can which is usually from porch to gate and over to the corner. That much as least allows for my clients to arrive. I leave the rest for my husband.
kendallina 12:15 PM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Shovel?? I think that is one of those things my husband uses!
I love it!
Live and Learn 12:20 PM 12-10-2010
I love snow but in the pacific northwest we getting driving sideways rain not much snow in the lowlands. We had almost 2" of rain yesterday and 50 degrees. Thought I might need to build an ark and load everybody on board!
MARSTELAC 04:49 AM 12-30-2010
So it's upper 30's today here in s. mn and our new driveway is totally clean. The kids, hubby, neighbors and I have been scraping it clean for weeks. I was so happy (and tired) when I came in last night after it was finally clean enough to eat off of and my first client of the day came in and complained that I had one little icy spot. Enough to make me want to take that shovel and um.... nevermind. We live in freaking MN! The other DCP's driveways don't look anything close to clean. I am so glad I most likely have off tomorrow!
Little People 05:17 AM 12-30-2010
Here in Memphis we may get 1 snow/ice day a year. But we do go out at 6:00and shovel and put down roadrunner salt.

But I do remember the almost 2 years we lived in Utah! Snow, snow, snow and more snow!! I feel for everyone who has to shovel. Here is a little day for you.
MARSTELAC 05:20 AM 12-30-2010
I'll take that sun! Thank you! My folks live a few hours from Memphis and we seriously think we should move in that direction! Happy New Year!
Former Teacher 08:49 AM 12-30-2010
Snow? What's that? It's in the 70's here
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Snow? What's that? It's in the 70's here
We are getting snow AND rain right now....NOT sleet where it is slushy like....I mean literally half the drops are raindrops and the other half are big fluffly snowflakes Will make driving tonite trecherous!!!! Maybe everyone will pick up early!?!? LOL!!
MARSTELAC 09:33 AM 12-30-2010
Don't hold your breath....they probably are all going to run errands after work and leave their little precious children until the minute we all close! LOL!!
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Don't hold your breath....they probably are all going to run errands after work and leave their little precious children until the minute we all close! LOL!!
Oh that is too funny!!....a dcd just called right now and asked if his kids could stay til I close (5:30) instead of picking up at 2:00 which is their normal schedule!!! I'm sure more will call.....I was planning on gettting out of here at 4:00 but we'll see.......
Tags:show shoveling, snow
Reply Up