Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Day Today!!!
momofboys 05:47 AM 12-13-2010
Today school was cancelled. We didn't get a ton of snow (about 3-4 inches. . . but last night the wind kicked up & blew all that lovely snow all over creation). Plus it's super-cold. Wind chill is below 0 I believe. My 3 boys are here today & I have no DCKs b/c the mom of the family I watch was not coming today anyway. Nice day to have some QT with my boys!
care-care 05:58 AM 12-13-2010
they keep calling for alot of snow here and we keep getting missed although today it is very windy and cold no snow I can see my grass...
momofboys 05:59 AM 12-13-2010
I'm in western central Ohio. Hi, neighbor up north! I'm sure you will get your share of snow soon too!
care-care 06:01 AM 12-13-2010
OH yeah we will it has been strange though here. Other areas have been hit with snow and we keep missing it.I mean you could drive 20 minutes and they have a ton! Im not complaining
kendallina 06:13 AM 12-13-2010
We have a snow day today too, so my preschool's closed. But, I do have one little girl here for childcare.

So yesterday I sent a reminder email (it's in the handbook, too) to families that if the school's are closed, my preschool is closed as well (except for the one little girl that comes for child care because mom works). Well, even after sending that reminder, guess how many of my preschool parents drove in this weather to try and drop their child off??? 3 out of 3!! ARGH! I am CLOSED so that you don't get out in this nasty weather and risk you and your child's safety. They all took their children back home after I told them I was closed and reminded them that I close when the school's close. One mom continued to try and get her child out of the car when I told her that and she said, "Oh, the school district closes for anything". Geez- I don't care. They close, I close, that's the rule!

Sorry, done with my mini-rant.

Enjoy the snow day!!
daysofelijah 06:26 AM 12-13-2010
17 inches of snow for us this weekend, -5 degrees with a -23 windchill for us today. Snow day? NOPE!
marniewon 06:29 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
17 inches of snow for us this weekend, -5 degrees with a -23 windchill for us today. Snow day? NOPE!
Seriously? It's that horrible there and they didn't close the schools??? They closed our schools last night, and they NEVER close our public schools - much less the night before!
marniewon 06:31 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
they keep calling for alot of snow here and we keep getting missed although today it is very windy and cold no snow I can see my grass...
What part of MI are you in? I'm in MI too, and I can't believe there's actually a part of the state that didn't get snow!! That system that came through this weekend was huge! I don't mind the snow so much, it's the COLD that i can't stand - and boy is it cold here today!
daysofelijah 06:47 AM 12-13-2010
No they never cancel school here. The Mpls. and St. Paul districts are closed, but none of the suburban districts closed. I think they get more flack from parents if they close than if they don't close. Here's what our district says about school closing.

Why don't you close school when it is really cold and windy?
Even when it's very cold and windy, typically businesses and government offices remain open, and most school districts in Minnesota, including all those in the metro area, remain open.

The decision to close school is a serious one, and it affects many working families who would have to take a day off of work or find day care on short notice. Some families do not have these options and their children may be left home alone. Often, children are more at risk when we close school. As the largest school district in Minnesota, with more than 240,000 residents and approximately 40,500 students, many families and businesses are affected when Anoka-Hennepin closes its schools.

Extremely cold weather is not unheard of in Minnesota. Many times it gets very cold in the state while school still is in session. By dressing children properly, parents/guardians can protect against the effects of cold weather.

Blackcat31 06:55 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Seriously? It's that horrible there and they didn't close the schools??? They closed our schools last night, and they NEVER close our public schools - much less the night before!
That is rather normal for winters. Where I am at in MN it is -16 below zero and with windchill it is like -35 below and still there is school. We definitely grow 'em tough here. I honestly can't remember the last time they closed our schools due to weather. Snow, ice, sub-zero temps, blizzards...no matter...we get to school through it all.
momofboys 07:05 AM 12-13-2010
Where I am from there are many country kids who must wait outdoors for school buses. Here they would catch a lot of flak from upset parents for having kids outdoors when the windchill is so cold (well below 0). But then this is also the
1st year that we are only permitted to have 3 inclement weather days opposed to 5 in years past. The schools have to really conserve closings for the absolute worst conditions.
countrymom 07:25 AM 12-13-2010
our schools are open but the county busses are not running, so its a snow day for us and I have a house full of kids, and I know that many didn't go to school because they are all on facebook chatting it up with odd.
TGT09 07:38 AM 12-13-2010
No school here in southern Ohio. We live in the sticks though so it gets cancelled fairly often. Although, farmer's almanac said we were going to have a warm, mild winter! Ha!
DCMomOf3 10:16 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
Same here! Snow days just don't happen here .
MARSTELAC 10:16 AM 12-13-2010
No school here either in MN. Quite cold but sunny! I have 9 here today and we cannot go outside because the temp is low and windchill is below zero...makes for a long day
care-care 05:56 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
What part of MI are you in? I'm in MI too, and I can't believe there's actually a part of the state that didn't get snow!! That system that came through this weekend was huge! I don't mind the snow so much, it's the COLD that i can't stand - and boy is it cold here today!
I am in Hudsonville ,MI near Holland or GrandRapids. Seriously we have missed the last storms and its crazy. my hubby goes to grandhaven holland springlake area on mondays and he said roads were so bad and he was up north this weekend near Mcbain and on way home he said it was a whiteout and he could only go 55 on highway ..I was prepared for today to be snow day with all the media talking about the storm coming this weekend and I woke up to green grass now it is windy and cold but we have no snow.. which reminds me i need to go scoop dog poop before it does really snow lolol

where are you from marniewon?
E Daycare 06:29 PM 12-13-2010
I live near Cincy Ohio and we had school closings today but my dck dad made sure H*ll or high water he brought her here today even though he had off of work. Dckm calls me to see if A)her kid was dropped off and B) if the dad was going to work. I am not the keeper of your family and what they are all doing and YES he brought her here with no phone call saying if/when/how they would get here. ALMOST had a snow day with my son. SO close!
marniewon 06:35 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
I am in Hudsonville ,MI near Holland or GrandRapids. Seriously we have missed the last storms and its crazy. my hubby goes to grandhaven holland springlake area on mondays and he said roads were so bad and he was up north this weekend near Mcbain and on way home he said it was a whiteout and he could only go 55 on highway ..I was prepared for today to be snow day with all the media talking about the storm coming this weekend and I woke up to green grass now it is windy and cold but we have no snow.. which reminds me i need to go scoop dog poop before it does really snow lolol

where are you from marniewon?
I know where that is - my parents and sis and family live in Jenison We were just down that way over Thanksgiving weekend. I live in Midland, but will be moving a little farther north in a few months (Beaverton/Gladwin area).
momma2girls 06:53 PM 12-13-2010
I used to have a girl here in daycare, no matter what the parents would bring her to daycare. Whether there was a power outage, blizzard, or an ice storm!!
mac60 03:18 AM 12-14-2010
Our schools were closed on Monday too. Like Janarae, we are down to 3 clamity days...already they used 2 and we are not thru December. The worst is still to come I am sure.Sometimes our superintendent jumps the gun....winter is for snow and cold. People need to get used to it. Just because there is an inch of snow on the ground is no reason to cancel schools. I can understand closing when the wind chills are in the negatives, as some kids have a long walk to school, but winter is for snow, and they need to use better judgement when closing. We went to 3 hour delays this year and it was to help with the going down to 3 calamity days. We have used the 3 hr delay for fog mostly. It is very normal for us to close 5 to 7 days per year for bad weather roads. It will be interesting how this all works out in the end....the schools will most definately have to make days up.
mac60 04:55 AM 12-14-2010
Grr, and our schools are 2 hour delay....and why?
SilverSabre25 05:48 AM 12-14-2010
Schools in the more rural areas around here are on delays this morning--I don't blame them, either, because it's WAY colder here right now than is strictly normal for our area. While it gets cold in central OH, it isn't usually in the single digits and the wind chills aren't usually -10. Most people do NOT have the kind of winter gear that's appropriate to those temps! Our averages are in the twenties to thirties...this is a whole different ballgame!
momofboys 06:26 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Grr, and our schools are 2 hour delay....and why?
We had a 2 hr delay today also. It is very cold but frustrating since I had a houseful until about 10 min ago when they hopped on the bus. So you have already used 2 of your days? Yesterday was our first. . . my guess is my kids will be going to school an extra day or two or three by the time this school year is over. We did not implement the 3 hr delay here like you did in NW Ohio. My sister teaches up there in the Evergreen school district (HUGE district in terms of the distances the kids live from the school, most live in the country) so they cancel a lot/delay a lot & I think they have done the 3 hr delays too. Ughhhh
Tags:snow
Reply Up