Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Will NEVER Understand It...
Gurdy 07:11 AM 01-11-2011
Dcd shows up today with one of his two kids. Dcm stayed home with their other child who has a fever. Dcd works from home so he got out in the freezing cold and treacherous road conditions to bring 13 month old to my house and then go back home. BOTH parents will be home all day. Why bring this little boy to me? Do they just really not want to be around him? I really do not, and will never, understand this. This family does this kind of thing all the time! I just know that if I was going to be home with one of my children anyway, I would never think to send the other one away.
momma2girls 07:13 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Gurdy:
Dcd shows up today with one of his two kids. Dcm stayed home with their other child who has a fever. Dcd works from home so he got out in the freezing cold and treacherous road conditions to bring 13 month old to my house and then go back home. BOTH parents will be home all day. Why bring this little boy to me? Do they just really not want to be around him? I really do not, and will never, understand this. This family does this kind of thing all the time! I just know that if I was going to be home with one of my children anyway, I would never to think to send the other one away.
There are a couple of friends of mine, that have if you are home with one sick child, you need to keep the other child home with you as well. Yes, and technically they are more than likely carrying the illness with them as well. SO now with them bringing the other child, it probably infected your entire daycare!!! What is wrong with parents????
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 01-11-2011
Do you bill if the child is absent or have a policy that says they only get a certain number of sick days?
Also maybe sick kid will sleep all day and the parents will be able to work as if the kid isn't even there?
Keri'sKids 07:18 AM 01-11-2011
Your guess on this one is absolutely right. I've said this before.
nannyde 07:38 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Gurdy:
Why bring this little boy to me? Do they just really not want to be around him?
Yes that is it.
MarinaVanessa 07:57 AM 01-11-2011
I guess i could see both sides here and yes, it depends on the parents in particular. One way to see it is okay I have one of my kids here and he is sick so I want to make it easier on myself and send the other one to daycare so that I don't have to worry about 2 kids today. On the daycare provider side this would mean that we would have a child in DC that could potentially be carrying whatever illness his sibling has and then the rest of the kiddos could get sick because they are exposed ... BUT in all reality if a child is sick and has a fever then this child has been contageous for days before he even got any symptoms anyway. Yes his sibling could be carrying the illness but it's not always the case.

DCM could also be trying to keep sibling away from sick child to hopefully prevent sibling from also getting sick. I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. On a Thursday DCG 3y was fussy and low and behold she had a fever. I called mom, mom picked them both up and next day only brought DCB 18m. Sibling never got sick and none of my other daycare kids did either.

I don't like to generalize because there are those few times that yes, the parent is looking after the best interest of their child.
Gurdy 08:11 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I guess i could see both sides here and yes, it depends on the parents in particular. One way to see it is okay I have one of my kids here and he is sick so I want to make it easier on myself and send the other one to daycare so that I don't have to worry about 2 kids today. On the daycare provider side this would mean that we would have a child in DC that could potentially be carrying whatever illness his sibling has and then the rest of the kiddos could get sick because they are exposed ... BUT in all reality if a child is sick and has a fever then this child has been contageous for days before he even got any symptoms anyway. Yes his sibling could be carrying the illness but it's not always the case.

DCM could also be trying to keep sibling away from sick child to hopefully prevent sibling from also getting sick. I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. On a Thursday DCG 3y was fussy and low and behold she had a fever. I called mom, mom picked them both up and next day only brought DCB 18m. Sibling never got sick and none of my other daycare kids did either.

I don't like to generalize because there are those few times that yes, the parent is looking after the best interest of their child.
The best interest of the child is to be with their parents as much as possible.

The dcg that has a fever has chronic ear infections and is likely not contagious. These parents know that I can not have child in my care with fever so they kept her home. They are good clients and seem to be good parents, that is why this is so weird to me. They do admit that they can not "handle" having their children all at home with them at the same time.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I could never imagine thinking it was in the best interest of my child to send them away for the day. If I am home anyway- why would I send my kid away????? I will really never get it.
Gurdy 08:14 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you bill if the child is absent or have a policy that says they only get a certain number of sick days?
Also maybe sick kid will sleep all day and the parents will be able to work as if the kid isn't even there?
They pay if child is in care or not. I do give two weeks of unpaid vacation time and they never use it.
lvt77 08:27 AM 01-11-2011
I have a question to add to this...if one sibiling is sick and higly contagious, the parents will be home, do you require the other to stay home too?? I had a family with siblings...One child had hand foot and mouth......no one else at DC had it and it is highly contagious..... Do you think that it would be best to say that depending on the ilness that both children may be required to stay home??
nannyde 08:41 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I have a question to add to this...if one sibiling is sick and higly contagious, the parents will be home, do you require the other to stay home too?? I had a family with siblings...One child had hand foot and mouth......no one else at DC had it and it is highly contagious..... Do you think that it would be best to say that depending on the ilness that both children may be required to stay home??
They won't abide by it even if you say it. They will just not tell you the one at home is sick.
lvt77 08:44 AM 01-11-2011
Sorry I am a little confused....would you then say that if one kid is home sick they both stay home??
nannyde 09:01 AM 01-11-2011
Sorry I am a little confused....would you then say that if one kid is home sick they both stay home??
No

I don't have that rule because it won't work. They will still bring the other kid. They just won't tell me the other one is out because of sickness. The difference between them keeping one home due to illness and bringing the other one is just the WORDS "his sister is sick". They will just not tell me the WORDS that the one is sick when they bring the other to day care.

When it's just a matter of words it's very easy to lie.
misol 11:05 AM 01-11-2011

I do. My policy says depending on the illness the siblings of a sick child may also be required to stay home. I would have not taken the sibling of a child with HF&M.
Tags:bad parent, bad weather, snow
Reply Up