Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Annoyed....To Be Or Not To Be....Uggg
Unregistered 03:32 AM 01-12-2011
so yesterday dcd mentiones that will all the snow that is coming he will be staying home from work. and that dcm may also. but they would let me know. school got canceled due to the amount of snow that we have and still have coming. my kids will be super happy when they wake up! my wonderful husband got up at 3:30 this am so he could snowblow the driveway for the one daycare child i have that comes. he then took off for work and said roads were BAD.

dcm usually comes at 630 for dropoff, as I only have one today it should have been smooth sailing. Mom calls at 6:25 to tell me that she's going in later to work. ummmm ok I understand so now I am sitting her waiting for teh next two hours to float by before she shows up. my babes are still sleeping, and the screaming of my pillow and warm bed are almost to much to take

point is this i suppose. If dcd is staying home, why send the child to me? it's a snow day and I would love to play outside with my own two small children, sad thing is their child is 13 months old and they don't have a winter coat or snowsuit or even boots for her, they feel that she isn't stabble enough on her feet to enjoy the outside snow. REALLY?????? my kids were playing in the snow as soon as they could. do to all of that.....my children will now have to stay inside for most of the day. dcg doesn't nap for more than 15-20 minutes once a day....so playing at that time isn't an option. i don't live somewhere where the kiddos can go unattended. (not that they ever should ) hope everone has a wonderful day....... ill be trying to!
melskids 06:10 AM 01-12-2011
i would wrap the baby up in a warm blanket (on top of his/her coat, or whatever they bring the child in) plop on an extra hat, and socks for gloves if you have to, and strap him/her in a stroller, seat, exersaucer, highchair, or whatever you have, and go outside!!!! there is NO reason you should have to give up taking the other children out because of one child.
SilverSabre25 06:13 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i would wrap the baby up in a warm blanket (on top of his/her coat, or whatever they bring the child in) plop on an extra hat, and socks for gloves if you have to, and strap him/her in a stroller, seat, exersaucer, highchair, or whatever you have, and go outside!!!! there is NO reason you should have to give up taking the other children out because of one child.
BIG ditto!!!
SandeeAR 06:16 AM 01-12-2011
Can you put her in some of your kids old coats and blankets and put her in a pack-n-play on the porch,while you play with your kids?
laundrymom 06:19 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
Forst text and say, we are playing out in the snow so bring warm clothes then Where dh snoblowed,...Put a blanket on the ground, pnp on top to keep it clean, the you can bundle their child best you can and have fun!!! If you can be OUT playing when they show up tell them to put her in the pnp and you will get her out as soon as it's her turn on the sled, fort, or whatever. If they get there and don't have warm clothes tell them you told them to bring warm clothes, say well you can either go get warm clothes or I'll text you when we come in and you can bring her back then. But licensing won't allow her to be outside with no warm clothes. Then do the long uncomfortable stare.
VTMom 08:35 AM 01-12-2011
Do you have a sled with a rope? Could you wrap her up and tug her along? I do that with my 17 month old DCB who isn't the most stable in his gear!

When he was younger, I used to put him in the baby Bjorn and wear an oversized coat over the both of us.
Unregistered 08:52 AM 01-12-2011
Your point about dcd staying home is a good one. Why should he take the child out if he is staying home, he should be taking care of his own child. That to me, is a lazy, selfish parent, who doesn't want their child around when they have or took the day off!
I don't understand parents these days! They just don't seem to want their children around or take care of them when they are home from work. Why have kids then!
I have dcp now also who just do not dress their child for the weather. I live in the Midwest where it is cold and snowy in the winter, they come with no boots, no mittens or hat. Then they wonder why their child gets sick,,DA!
Sometimes getting them to dress their child appropriate is a never ending battle.
Missani 10:54 AM 01-12-2011
Not that this really helps your situation for today, but I also put the baby in a sled. It has a back so she can sit and look around and it has a safety strap that I can buckle. She loves watching the other kids play. When I didn't have all of the clothes for her (mom and dad brought them now) I put on her jacket and hat, some extra mittens, and covered her in a warm blanket. She also didn't have boots, but guess what I bought her for Christmas? Now she has boots.

She is 7 months old, and her parents love that I take her outside because I think it is hard for them to do it. (She doesn't have any siblings so it would be just her and she's too young to really "play in the snow", and they live in a townhouse so not much of a yard). Do the parents not want you to take her out because she is a baby? Or is it just a matter of them not wanting to buy the clothes since they think she won't wear them much? I can understand parents feeling both ways, but if I were you, I'd stress how good for them going outside can be and assure them that you will make sure she is warm enough. I find that the little ones are always little furnaces, but I do always check regularly. Then, go enjoy the day! Hopefully, the discussion will prompt them to bring some clothes. If not, though, and you know the parents are not uncomfortable with her being outside because she is a baby, then feel free to use extras from your house/blankets etc.
Missani 10:57 AM 01-12-2011
I forgot to add, though, that it is a bummer that you ALMOST had the day off. I hate it when that happens. Not that I mind working in the least, but it is tough when you are so close to having a day off and then it doesn't happen for whatever reason. It makes it that much harder to work that day. I hope you at least got to go back to bed to snuggle under the covers for a bit while you waited for her to come late!
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Your point about dcd staying home is a good one. Why should he take the child out if he is staying home, he should be taking care of his own child. That to me, is a lazy, selfish parent, who doesn't want their child around when they have or took the day off!I don't understand parents these days! They just don't seem to want their children around or take care of them when they are home from work. Why have kids then!
I have dcp now also who just do not dress their child for the weather. I live in the Midwest where it is cold and snowy in the winter, they come with no boots, no mittens or hat. Then they wonder why their child gets sick,,DA!
Sometimes getting them to dress their child appropriate is a never ending battle.
That is a bit harsh.... If they are paying for childcare then they can do or go where ever they want. Maybe they took the day off to paint or get some things done around home that can't be accomplished with a kid under foot. I only complain about people who get assistance and have their child care paid for and they go home to do nothing...

I look at it like hiring a baby sitter in the evening...she is being paid to watch the children and has no right to dictate what parents are doing while she is being paid to watch them.
Unregistered 11:59 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is a bit harsh.... If they are paying for childcare then they can do or go where ever they want. Maybe they took the day off to paint or get some things done around home that can't be accomplished with a kid under foot. I only complain about people who get assistance and have their child care paid for and they go home to do nothing...

I look at it like hiring a baby sitter in the evening...she is being paid to watch the children and has no right to dictate what parents are doing while she is being paid to watch them.
I Didn't mean to sound harsh, but what I meant was, if it was a snowy day and the schools were closed, then it possibly was slippery driving and just not a good day to take a child out if you didn't have to. Why take a chance on getting in a accident or stuck in the snow and the child would be better off just staying in a nice warm home with daddy. Yes they still are paying, but I myself would not want to take my child out in bad weather and if I were a working parent, I would want to spend the extra time with my child, maybe cuddling with them. That is just me tho. I value every minute I had with my kids growing up. Now they are grown and married themselves and I really miss the toddler stage and the cuddling time. Kids grow up too fast on us!
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I Didn't mean to sound harsh, but what I meant was, if it was a snowy day and the schools were closed, then it possibly was slippery driving and just not a good day to take a child out if you didn't have to. Why take a chance on getting in a accident or stuck in the snow and the child would be better off just staying in a nice warm home with daddy. Yes they still are paying, but I myself would not want to take my child out in bad weather and if I were a working parent, I would want to spend the extra time with my child, maybe cuddling with them. That is just me tho. I value every minute I had with my kids growing up. Now they are grown and married themselves and I really miss the toddler stage and the cuddling time. Kids grow up too fast on us!
I wasn't being rude either and I do agree...time flies and I would sometimes love to have that time back with my own two kids but honestly if parents all stayed home with their children every second they were not at work we wouldn't have as many childcare providers in business as we do now would we? It is the double edged sword of the business and probably the hottest topic on this forum at times...we complain because we don't have enough income and kids aren't enrolling yet when the kids come and stay for long days we complain too! I guess we just have to accept the fact that we are paid for taking them. If I am open for 10 hours a day and parents leave their kids here for all those hours, I can feel bad all I want but if I am cashing the checks.......kwim?
Unregistered 03:55 PM 01-12-2011
Oh, I understand what your saying, all I was trying to get across was that if it is a bad weather day, snow, slippery,schools closed and Dad is staying home because of the bad weather that it would make sense to not go out himself to take his child to daycare, after all he maybe was going to stay home and to me it just doesn't seem right that he would take his child out in the bad weather if he didn't want to be in it himself. I guess I'm straying from the original post, but just had to try and explain my thoughts about this. I guess my dcp's are always concerned about the weather here in the winter and seem to take that into consideration when bringing their child out in it to dc. So sorry to confuse you.
Tags:dcm, late arrivals, snow
Reply Up