Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Idea
kitkat 07:05 AM 01-19-2011
I had to share this idea, especially for those of you who have snow and little ones. DD is super short. She will be 2.5 in March. She can barely crawl up the steps with her snow stuff on, let alone walk in the snow. She loves being outside, so I asked DH to blow a path in the snow for her to walk on. I forgot that I was the one who did it last year. I was thinking just a loop for a path. I forgot who I was talking to! DH is the guy who draws designs on his burgers with ketchup and it looks too nice to eat (he was an art minor in college). I looked out the window last night as he was blowing the path and almost fell over! Instead of one simple, loopy path, he blew what looks like a checkers board! Our front yard looks so funny, but the joy it brought the kids today is so worth it! Dcg hates to play in the snow and actually had a blast! We called Dh at work to thank him and I think we made his day. So, for those of you with little ones, I highly recommend blowing/shoveling a path in your yard for the littles to walk on. The big ones even had fun on the paths!
misol 07:18 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I had to share this idea, especially for those of you who have snow and little ones. DD is super short. She will be 2.5 in March. She can barely crawl up the steps with her snow stuff on, let alone walk in the snow. She loves being outside, so I asked DH to blow a path in the snow for her to walk on. I forgot that I was the one who did it last year. I was thinking just a loop for a path. I forgot who I was talking to! DH is the guy who draws designs on his burgers with ketchup and it looks too nice to eat (he was an art minor in college). I looked out the window last night as he was blowing the path and almost fell over! Instead of one simple, loopy path, he blew what looks like a checkers board! Our front yard looks so funny, but the joy it brought the kids today is so worth it! Dcg hates to play in the snow and actually had a blast! We called Dh at work to thank him and I think we made his day. So, for those of you with little ones, I highly recommend blowing/shoveling a path in your yard for the littles to walk on. The big ones even had fun on the paths!

Funny. Can you post a pic? I would love to see that!
jen 08:15 AM 01-19-2011
Cool! I'm going to ask hubby to that too!!!

Plus, our little dogs will love it!
DBug 08:30 AM 01-19-2011
That's exactly what I do! Well, except that I use a shovel instead of a blower. That's what I do while the kids are playing outside twice a day -- I reshovel our pathways through the snow. It keeps me moving and then the crawlers can actually move around outside too! I have a loop and then a few offshoots to the playhouses. It's proof to the parents that we're getting lots of outdoor time in, too
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 01-19-2011
What an awesome idea!!! but my DH being the anal attentive guy that I love he said I should post to remind everyone though that for those of us who live in the fridgid temps that we should be aware of the fact that any time you remove snow in your yard that is near your house or garage foundation or on or near your septic sytem any type of continuous foot traffic will push the frost down below the frost level and could cause some septic systems to freeze up and could cause foundation damage.

My neighbor used to snow blow paths in his yard for his dog to run. He was repairing his basement foundation this last summer and I noticed he did not snow blow dog paths again this winter.....

Disclaimer:
I do not know how much of this holds weight but I did look some of it up and it could happen but apparently only to those of us who live in areas where it gets really cold
kitkat 10:21 AM 01-19-2011
Here's a picture of our snow paths, hopefully! I took it from our upstairs doorway and took it through the window, so it's not the greatest picture, but you get the idea. The kids can't wait to go back outside after DS gets home from school.
Attached: 002.jpg (46.9 KB) 
ninosqueridos 10:25 AM 01-19-2011
OMG I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! That was really nice of your hubby. I've attempted to bring my group outside in the snow twice to no avail. I could see them loving something like this since all they did was cry that they couldn't walk in the snow.
E Daycare 10:45 AM 01-19-2011
What a great idea! I wish we could do something like this but our driveway is huge and 6-8 cars long on a 45* aprox hill so I really could just put my kids on a sled and send them on their way lol. If it didnt end into the street that is. My backyard is a hill so I actually do the sledding part. Id love to have a path though. How fun for the kids!
Michelle 12:02 PM 01-19-2011
aw I wish we had snow where we live!
it's always so hot here , just boring outside...
We went to Universal Studios Hollywood at Christmas and they made snow and that was the first time my dd got to see snow, you guys are so lucky
ammama 01:00 PM 01-19-2011
The snow here is about 3 feet deep. I tried shoveling a path yesterday, and it just takes toooo long to get anywhere, there is so much snow!! I would love to do paths like that We dug out one of the giant piles that hubby has been shoveling into all winter and started making a big snow fort instead. I'm going to fill it with straw, I think and pretend we're camping. This fort is actually going to be big enough to fit me, and all the kids at the same time!
lvt77 02:21 PM 01-19-2011
gosh I want snow...I live in CA and have never lived anywhere that it snows...looks like fun.................LUCKY!!!!!
Michael 11:14 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
gosh I want snow...I live in CA and have never lived anywhere that it snows...looks like fun.................LUCKY!!!!!
You can always go to Mammoth Mountain.
https://www.daycare.com/story/mammoth.html
We wook the kids to Bear Mountain this weekend to see some snow.
misol 04:12 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Here's a picture of our snow paths, hopefully! I took it from our upstairs doorway and took it through the window, so it's not the greatest picture, but you get the idea. The kids can't wait to go back outside after DS gets home from school.

This is great!
Tags:ideas, smow ideas, snow, tips
Reply Up