Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Week's Winter Storm
SilverSabre25 05:15 AM 01-31-2011
What are they forecasting in your area and what are you doing about it?

I'm in a bind. DH is working until 9 tonight, we only have one car. If I decide that there is stuff we need "just in case", we're going to be hosed trying to get it at 9 PM. On the one hand I want to just brush it off and assume it won't be anywhere near as bad as they are predicting, and on the other hand I'm a bit concerned. The National Weather Service is predicting 1/4" of ice in my area (central OH) but the local forecasters are saying 1" of ice. 1/4" is bad, but tolerable. 1" is a WHOLE LOT of ice... *sigh* not the kind of dilemma and stress I needed today...
melskids 05:24 AM 01-31-2011
i'm in upstate NY, so i'm used to harsh weather. i try, in the winter, to keep everything well stocked with extras. i told my hubby to bring a few things home tonight too, just in case. i would just try and have your DH grab what he can after work. i know i'm not much help...lol but i know what youre going through so i feel for ya!!! i havent heard how far northeast this storm is coming yet, so i guess i should go turn the weather on!!!!
Little People 05:28 AM 01-31-2011
Could you call a friend or a relative to maybe go to the store for you? Maybe a neighbor? I don't mind snow we lived in Utah for a couple of years and it was fun! But I hate ice and here in Memphis TN, we only get 1 or 2 ice days but it is usually horrible! we have crazy drivers!!
Lilbutterflie 05:41 AM 01-31-2011
SilverSabre, are there any grocery stores in your area that will deliver?? It certainly would be worth a $10 delivery charge in this case.

They are predicting ice tomorrow morning for us (North Texas), and it won't go above freezing until late Friday, so it's gonna stick around. Plus maybe more snow on Thursday. Luckily, we went grocery shopping a couple days ago, but I do think I'll need milk in the next day or so. I'm planning on going out tonight to get it.
SilverSabre25 05:44 AM 01-31-2011
Snow is one thing; snow I can handle. Ice is just a whole different story and it worries me! I don't think snow is likely to kill our power, but ice, especially an inch of ice, sure could.

I might be able to have my sister go for me; that's not a bad idea.
DCMomOf3 05:45 AM 01-31-2011
could your husband pick some things up sometime today, either before work or at his lunch break?
countrymom 05:48 AM 01-31-2011
meijers is open 24 hours, so go when your dh comes home and stock up some things (like pizza) I love meijers, and don't forget to buy salt. Dh will take his snowmobile to work if its bad.
MyAngels 05:52 AM 01-31-2011
We're due for 12" to 18" of snow, so I'm not too worried, but I did make sure to pick up a few staples at the store yesterday just so I wouldn't have to go out if I didn't want to. I'm just hoping the ice stays to south of us as it's being predicted right now.
marniewon 06:07 AM 01-31-2011
We're looking at up to 8" of snow sometime Tuesday night into Wednesday. I'm making my grocery lists now and will go tonight to pick up some things.

I'm in central MI, but people a little south of us are looking at up to 18"!! Now, I think that would be fun, but no doubt our power would go out .
My Lil' Monkeys 06:32 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
We're looking at up to 8" of snow sometime Tuesday night into Wednesday. I'm making my grocery lists now and will go tonight to pick up some things.

I'm in central MI, but people a little south of us are looking at up to 18"!! Now, I think that would be fun, but no doubt our power would go out .
I live in Michigan in the area that's suppose to get up to 18" of snow SOOOOO not looking forward to it!! But I did have 1 parent tell me that on Weds she wouldn't even attempt to come and bring her here if we got the snow we are expecting...she's smart as I know the other dck will be here!
KEG123 06:34 AM 01-31-2011
There is supposed to be 1-3 inches today, (no biggie) but tomorrow afternoon it will pick up and get roughly 9-13 inches. I'm going to go grocery shopping in the morning tomorrow, before it gets bad. I'm not too concerned, Illinois is used to it.
momofboys 06:46 AM 01-31-2011
I'm a little west of Columbus & I **thought** I heard we were to get 1-2 inches of ice. Yuck! I took my toddlers to the library this morning & we checked out a TON of books & a few movies in case all my school-agers are here tomorrow. I also bought hot chocolate/popcorn for a movie afternoon for tomorrow if the weather stinks. I do have a dental appt late tomorrow afternoon (1 mile from our home) so hopefully it won't be so bad that I can not go.
momofboys 06:48 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Snow is one thing; snow I can handle. Ice is just a whole different story and it worries me! I don't think snow is likely to kill our power, but ice, especially an inch of ice, sure could.

I might be able to have my sister go for me; that's not a bad idea.
I know I hate the ice & I worry about my DH having to drive to work. As it is we are 30 min from where he works in Dublin, add ice & it will definitely take him well over an hr to get to work. I am hoping if it is bad that Franklin co at least calls a level 2/3 so he may not have to go to work. Definitely see if your sis can help you out!
My Daycare 06:49 AM 01-31-2011
Up to 18 inches here. I love snow. I can't wait, but I wish the ice would have melted first. Although, I don't think I will let my son go on his field trip on Wed if it seems to be bad.
melissa ann 06:50 AM 01-31-2011
We are forecast to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. But it will change to sleet for all day tomorrow through Wed morning before changing to plain rain in Wed afternoon.
I'd rather get pounded by snow then this slick crap! I"m so sick of ice.
nikia 07:15 AM 01-31-2011
Up to 18 inches of snow here
Cat Herder 07:53 AM 01-31-2011
Just non-stop rain, grey skies and drudgery until Thursday night here.... I have made a couple casseroles, whole grain/heavy breads and soups/stews for the week. Hot bulky meals with dark skies and non-stop rain make for great napping. With a newborn starting tomorrow, I am counting on it

Sorry you are having such a bad week already.
kendallina 08:00 AM 01-31-2011
I'm a little south of you SilverSabre and they can't seem to decide if we're getting ice or rain...so not sure what we're doing yet. I went grocery shopping yesterday, so I'm all set there, I hope you're able to figure out something to get what you need.

I cancel preschool whenever the schools are canceled and they cancel for EVERYTHING! So, we'll just hunker down and have an at-home day.
DBug 08:10 AM 01-31-2011
Well, it looks like we're only in for a foot or so. It looks like most of it will be south of where we are ...
Gurdy 08:20 AM 01-31-2011
We are supposed to get 10-13 inches between 10AM and 6PM Tuesday. With 35-40 MPH winds. I have never closed due to snow but I am thinking about it. How will parents be able to pick up their kids if we are having a blizzard? Plus, I will not be able to shovel the driveway or walks and I think it would just be too hazardous, would anyone else close for that?
SandeeAR 08:23 AM 01-31-2011
100% chance of rain for me. NW Arkansas is bracing for ice/snow.
boysx5 09:10 AM 01-31-2011
Here in Maryland we are getting ice tonite into tomorrow not sure if anyone will show up or not hoping I get the day off not looking forward to another day off for my boys they haven't been to school since last Tuesday we are wimps in the mid-alantic
WImom 09:24 AM 01-31-2011
12-20 inches by Wednesday night here. So not looking forward to it. If we weren't so busy in the evenings this week I wouldn't care but of course the one week we are. Oh well, it will be pretty to look at!
SilverSabre25 09:30 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
12-20 inches by Wednesday night here. So not looking forward to it. If we weren't so busy in the evenings this week I wouldn't care but of course the one week we are. Oh well, it will be pretty to look at!
Until it gets all gray and mushy and dirt-splattered, anyway. I know, I'm such a ray of sunshine ! I like snow (in almost any quantity) up until it's half-melted and ugly. I don't like ice in any quantity (unless it shuts my city down and gives me a day off which I could so desperately, desperately use)
laundrymom 09:35 AM 01-31-2011
We are getting 9-20 inches and 1/4 to 2 inches ice. Gee nothing like not nailing down a forecast huh????? Lol
kendallina 10:20 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
We are getting 9-20 inches and 1/4 to 2 inches ice. Gee nothing like not nailing down a forecast huh????? Lol
lol!!
Little People 11:09 AM 01-31-2011
Wow, I hope you have food for 2 weeks! What would be bad is if the ice came in and parents could not make it to get their children. For you all that live in bad winter states...has that ever happened?
SunflowerMama 11:18 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
SilverSabre, are there any grocery stores in your area that will deliver?? It certainly would be worth a $10 delivery charge in this case.

They are predicting ice tomorrow morning for us (North Texas), and it won't go above freezing until late Friday, so it's gonna stick around. Plus maybe more snow on Thursday. Luckily, we went grocery shopping a couple days ago, but I do think I'll need milk in the next day or so. I'm planning on going out tonight to get it.
I'm in North Texas too (Dallas area) so I think I'll be heading out tonight just to get a few extra things too. I do my big shopping on Sunday so we're pretty stocked but if we'll be in until potentially Fri. I definitely will need to grab a few things.
mickey2 11:21 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
Wow, I hope you have food for 2 weeks! What would be bad is if the ice came in and parents could not make it to get their children. For you all that live in bad winter states...has that ever happened?
I live in Northern Ontario Canada and I have had children here for a couple of days & overnight a few times due to the weather. The last time was in December. It happens and I don't mind. I don't charge the parents either when this happens. We always keep a huge pantry stocked full as well as a freezer full. We have a wood burning stove as well as a very large bbq. Also have a generator in case of an extreme emergency. Today it was -41 degrees celsius.

Where we live you just never know. The weather can be brutal and we live out in the country.
jojosmommy 11:24 AM 01-31-2011
What do you all do with your drive/walk ways when it snows. My parents are always complaining about having to walk up and down my driveway (I don't let parents park in my drive) when it snows. But if I am outside shoveling then who would be inside with the kids?? I have snuck out a few times at nap to shovel a small walk path but am always afraid of getting busted by my licensor or food program lady (or the lady 2 houses down that also does daycare). I dont want someone slipping and getting hurt but I am not about to pay some one $10 per inch of snow (I checked into what it would cost this year) to shovel/blow out my driveway.
What do you all do when it snows??
Little People 11:34 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
I live in Northern Ontario Canada and I have had children here for a couple of days & overnight a few times due to the weather. The last time was in December. It happens and I don't mind. I don't charge the parents either when this happens. We always keep a huge pantry stocked full as well as a freezer full. We have a wood burning stove as well as a very large bbq. Also have a generator in case of an extreme emergency. Today it was -41 degrees celsius.

Where we live you just never know. The weather can be brutal and we live out in the country.
I would freeze to death!! I would never get outside!
mickey2 11:39 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I would freeze to death!! I would never get outside!
Trust me! The only place I go in the winter is to the grocery store or Walmart maybe 2 times a month otherwise I stay in as I really really hate winter! I prefer our whole 2 months of nice warm weather from June until the end of August then it gets cold again. The only thing we have to worry about in the summer is the mosquitos carrying us off!
Missani 11:40 AM 01-31-2011
We are finally missing out on a storm! Just 4-6" of snow here, which, besides falling only during commuting hours is no big deal. Like I said, though, the timing is bad so I'm sure my kids will all be here late this evening. I really don't know where we would put another 20" or so that some of you are expecting. The snow in my yard already comes to within 6-8" of my 4 foot fence. I do feel for the rest of you, though, because I've been there many times.

SilverSabre, my husband works until 9-10 a few nights a week too. I usually have him stop on his way home if we need something asap. Is that a possibility?

Stay warm and safe everyone!
Lilbutterflie 11:59 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I'm in North Texas too (Dallas area) so I think I'll be heading out tonight just to get a few extra things too. I do my big shopping on Sunday so we're pretty stocked but if we'll be in until potentially Fri. I definitely will need to grab a few things.
I'm not too far from you Sunflower Mama! I saw on your website you are in McKinney. I live in Providence Village, in between Frisco and Denton.

I'm just a little worried, I'm from So Cal and this will be my first major ice storm! If my DD has to go to school tomorrow, I'll have to drive in the ice to pick her up. With 5 kids in the car. Uh Oh!
DCMomOf3 12:02 PM 01-31-2011
I'm in Western WI and all I see on my forecast is 3 inches. I hope we don't get more but seeing some in my same state post more than a foot, I wonder.
WImom 12:06 PM 01-31-2011
DCmomof 3 - yeah I'm in WI but only about 15 minutes to Lake Michigan so we are forcasted up to 20 inches due to lake effect snow as well as the snow storm (Well they are calling it a blizzard). I just hope parents use common sense and stay home if they can.
SilverSabre25 01:38 PM 01-31-2011
well they finally changed our prediction to ice accumulation in excess of 1/4" with more ice accumulating tomorrow. I'm getting ready to head outside and pre-salt the driveway and sidewalk, take a good inventory of what we might need, and settle in. Bring it, I say!

And a message from my 3 yo who is sitting in front of me while I type this and is fascinated by the smilies on the side:
MG&Lsmom 01:55 PM 01-31-2011
I was at Walmart today stocking up on things to get us through the next 72+ hrs. Snow starting 8am tomorrow through 10am Thursday, give or take. 14-20" with periods of sleet/freezing rain. Fun stuff!

I have interviews scheduled for Wednesday morning and afternoon too. One just rescheduled, waiting on the other to do the same.

We've got 4' in the yard at the shallowest points. Had to shovel paths for the kids to play. Ended up being a maze that they are loving running through. My shoulders, back and arms feel differently. As for the driveway, if DH can get it cleared enough we make sure one car can get in and park and safely walk to the garage door. If not, it's a single walking path to the garage door. We live in such a quiet neighborhood that parking on the street is not an issue. In the non snow covered months they park there anyways so they don't block eachother in.
mickey2 04:15 PM 01-31-2011
well they finally changed our prediction to ice accumulation in excess of 1/4" with more ice accumulating tomorrow. I'm getting ready to head outside and pre-salt the driveway and sidewalk, take a good inventory of what we might need, and settle in. Bring it, I say!

And a message from my 3 yo who is sitting in front of me while I type this and is fascinated by the smilies on the side:
love the message from your 3 year old, 3 year olds are so adorable!!
SunflowerMama 05:12 PM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I'm not too far from you Sunflower Mama! I saw on your website you are in McKinney. I live in Providence Village, in between Frisco and Denton.

I'm just a little worried, I'm from So Cal and this will be my first major ice storm! If my DD has to go to school tomorrow, I'll have to drive in the ice to pick her up. With 5 kids in the car. Uh Oh!
How great that we're so close!! What a small world!

I'd put money on schools being closed tomorrow so hopefully your daughter will be home with you guys.
countrymom 05:13 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
Trust me! The only place I go in the winter is to the grocery store or Walmart maybe 2 times a month otherwise I stay in as I really really hate winter! I prefer our whole 2 months of nice warm weather from June until the end of August then it gets cold again. The only thing we have to worry about in the summer is the mosquitos carrying us off!
now you sound like me, I hate hate hate winter. At the end of march i'm off to florida for a week. I always tell dh that when I retire that I'm going to go to florida in the winter and come back when its warm. I can tolerate heat so much better that cold
momofboys 05:49 AM 02-01-2011
School was closed today b/c of the ice & I am putting my $$$ on it being the same way tomorrow since we are supposed to get more ice & then snow. My husband's work even had a delay which was nice b/c he has to leave really early & planned on leaving before 6:00 am to get there by 7 (normally takes him 30 min).
kendallina 06:06 AM 02-01-2011
We got lots of ice, it looks yucky out there! School is closed which means that I am closed as well. Hubby's work doesn't open until 11, so he's hanging with us this morning. He's trying to convince me to go out to breakfast with him.
marniewon 06:14 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
We got lots of ice, it looks yucky out there! School is closed which means that I am closed as well. Hubby's work doesn't open until 11, so he's hanging with us this morning. He's trying to convince me to go out to breakfast with him.
If we get all the snow that we are supposed to get, school around here will probably be closed tomorrow and probably Thursday, which means that my full timer won't be here. Now, just to hope that if school is closed Thursday, my afternoon baby won't be here either. 2 weekdays off in a row would be great!
E Daycare 07:02 AM 02-01-2011
We got the ice they called for (Im in Cincy Ohio) and I have my one dcg who would come if 15 feet of snow was out there. Her grandma dropped her off today and kinda patronized me for the condition of my driveway and stairs. DH went out there and sprinkled down as much salt as possible but with the freezing rain it didnt help. So sorry you had to park your car at the end of the driveway and scoot up it with a 30lb pumpkin seat and diaper bag but we tried and there is a level one snow emergency out. Stop driving your grandkid around and wait a bit for it to be safe out. Sheesh.

On a happier note Im happy I dont live home in Buffalo right now. My sil told me they are supposed to get 20inches tonight. HA-HA to them. Ill take the 1/4 inch of ice we got any day.
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
We got the ice they called for (Im in Cincy Ohio) and I have my one dcg who would come if 15 feet of snow was out there. Her grandma dropped her off today and kinda patronized me for the condition of my driveway and stairs. DH went out there and sprinkled down as much salt as possible but with the freezing rain it didnt help. So sorry you had to park your car at the end of the driveway and scoot up it with a 30lb pumpkin seat and diaper bag but we tried and there is a level one snow emergency out. Stop driving your grandkid around and wait a bit for it to be safe out. Sheesh.

On a happier note Im happy I dont live home in Buffalo right now. My sil told me they are supposed to get 20inches tonight. HA-HA to them. Ill take the 1/4 inch of ice we got any day.
I got kind of chastised for the condition of my *neighborhood's* roads. Uh, yeah, sorry...it's residential, I promise you, we're not the only neighborhood with terrible roads
E Daycare 09:09 AM 02-01-2011
I got kind of chastised for the condition of my *neighborhood's* roads. Uh, yeah, sorry...it's residential, I promise you, we're not the only neighborhood with terrible roads
LOL. Gotta love it! I pointed next door to the neighbors car thats parked at the end of their driveway and at a angle because of the ice. It didnt just happen to Ice on my house, it did through most of midwest. Its like we woke up today and said "how can I make their morning bad? Oh I know, Ill hose off my driveway and steps and see how many people fall!" Americas funniest home videos would love it Im sure.

My husbands afraid they will sue so he was out there scooting around some more but to no avail, the ice hasnt melted. When they come im just going to put dcg in her carseat and slide her down the icy driveway to whomever picks her up today. Save me any grief.
laundrymom 09:16 AM 02-01-2011
Ever want to hand them a plow service bus card and say,... They take credit cards if it's that big an issue
SilverSabre25 09:56 AM 02-01-2011
Ever want to hand them a plow service bus card and say,... They take credit cards if it's that big an issue
lol I wish!
Tags:bad weather, snow, winter storm, winter weather
Reply Up