Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So, Will They Come?
Missani 04:56 AM 02-21-2011
We had a snowstorm/blizzard last night. We had about 10-12 inches of snow, which in itself isn't really a big deal where I live. However, we had blizzard like conditions, which has resulted in snow drifts several feet deep.

All schools, many businesses, and most child care centers in the area are closed. This is very unusual! Schools in our area are closed an average of 1 day every 4-5 years, and I can NEVER (in my 30+ years) remember businesses or child care centers ever being closed. Our biggest snowfall ever was in 1991, and I (at 15 yrs. old) had to go run the center because I lived the closest. My DH works in health care and in our combined 20 years of working in health care we have never seen a clinic close before. He is currently out shoveling the driveway and has made his way waist high through a 5.5 foot drift. A few more inches and he should be able to snowblow the rest.

I am open today. Will my kids come? I have been open for 40 minutes and no one has called to say they aren't coming. Family #1: both parents are off for Presidents Day but children were scheduled to come. From looking at the traffic map on TV, there is a 90 minute delay for them to get here. They normally live 30 minutes away so it would likely take them 2 hours to get here and another 1.5 hours or so to get home. But, then they would get their day off without their children...if they made it. Family #2: Dad's business is closed, mom is on maternity leave. They also live 30 minutes away, but probably have only an hour delay, so they could also make it in about 2 hours round trip and have a day without one of their children. Family #3: Not sure if either parent is working or not. I am guessing they are not off for President's Day but they might be. I also haven't seen their businesses listed as closed, but they work for smaller companies that may not list it on TV. They live in the large city in the area, which does not declare snow emergencies until the day following snowstorms. This means that their street will either not be plowed at all or, if they are lucky, they will get a small path plowed down the middle allowing one way traffic.

In your experiences or predictions, will they come? I am ready for them, but I am refraining from cooking breakfast or lunch until I see their little faces. Will they call to let me know? Should I be calling them, and if so, what time can I call? I am here and not going anywhere, so I don't care at all if they come. I wouldn't mind a snow day, though, either. I will, however, be a bit annoyed that DH and I got up at 5:00 am to shovel/snowblow on a day off if nobody shows up.

Now, if only I can find the hubby in the snow drifts, our driveway is almost plowed and our street is perfectly plowed. Our city does a great job, and we are plowed first. So, if they can get here, I am very ready for them.
daysofelijah 05:03 AM 02-21-2011
I only had one family scheduled to come today. Everyone else had the day off for President's Day. They showed up right on time at 6:30. Good thing I went out and shoveled a path down the driveway when I got up at 6. We got about 10 inches here, I'd say.
Little People 05:04 AM 02-21-2011
WOW!! And here in Memphis we complain if we get 2/3 inches. I did live in Utah for a couple of years and we got a lot of snow there. But the road crews were great!!

Stay warm and keep an eye on your DH, would not want him to become a snowman
Kaddidle Care 05:05 AM 02-21-2011
If I didn't see or hear from anyone by 9:00 I'd give them a call to see if they are coming. They shouldn't leave you hanging like that.
nannyde 05:17 AM 02-21-2011
Parents will go pretty far to have a day of me time so I will guess you will at least have a couple.

I've only had one day out of seventeen years where nobody made it in. I would have had one but they got stuck in their driveway trying to bring him in in a blizzard. They were both off of work that day and they still wanted to bring him in despite the fact that it was a no travel advisory and the State government, post office, and banks were closed down.

They were willing to risk him to get a day off. They even knew he would be the only kid here and they thought it would be awesome for him to have me to himself all day. I told them we would be having a "movie day" and he would have a really long afternoon nap.

That didn't deter them. The only reason I got the day off was because they couldn't physically get him to my house.

So my money is on at least two....
DCMomOf3 05:18 AM 02-21-2011
My kids have a snow day from the storm and I just got a call that at least one of my DCKs is not coming. We will see about others.
Missani 05:24 AM 02-21-2011
No calls, so I am still expecting them all. Two of the three families should have been here by now, but I'm guessing that they either are still trying to get here (yep...travel is not advised through this evening and all government is closed anyway due to the holiday. Even my garbage pick up has been canceled) or they are just coming later since the parents aren't working. If I had to guess, all three families will be here and 0/6 parents will be working...I have no idea if that's true, though. Well, at least my hubby will be here to help me out.
nannyde 05:32 AM 02-21-2011
can you text them and ask if they are on the way?
Kaddidle Care 05:36 AM 02-21-2011
You're still hanging? Call them already!
Missani 06:28 AM 02-21-2011
One finally called at 8:30 to say they weren't coming. I texted the other two. One responded right away that they weren't coming either. The other finally responded that they had just woken up, would give their child breakfast, and would be here soon.

I responded, "No problem. If it's easier I can give her breakfast. She is my only one today because all others are snowed in. We will have a low key day anyway." Mom then responded that dad went outside and reported that it didn't look pleasant and maybe they'd just keep her home today.

I can't believe it. They are not coming. Snow day for my family today! I'm sure it will never happen again, so I will be sure to enjoy it!
SilverSabre25 06:30 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
One finally called at 8:30 to say they weren't coming. I texted the other two. One responded right away that they weren't coming either. The other finally responded that they had just woken up, would give their child breakfast, and would be here soon.

I responded, "No problem. If it's easier I can give her breakfast. She is my only one today because all others are snowed in. We will have a low key day anyway." Mom then responded that dad went outside and reported that it didn't look pleasant and maybe they'd just keep her home today.

I can't believe it. They are not coming. Snow day for my family today! I'm sure it will never happen again, so I will be sure to enjoy it!
Yay! Enjoy!!
nannyde 06:30 AM 02-21-2011
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooot

Glad to be wrong
DCMomOf3 06:39 AM 02-21-2011
Yay for you!! Enjoy, because you are right, it may not happen again.

I am still waiting to hear from my last family. They texted last night they'd be late because of the storm but haven't heard anything this am yet. Until I know though, I'm enjoying my morning with my boys.
jen 06:42 AM 02-21-2011
Mine are all here...although 3 of the 6 families are "working at home" today! (I'm a twin cities girl as well!)
Cat Herder 06:58 AM 02-21-2011
We have no snow, actually 60* and sunny, but it is a Federal Holiday (banks, etc.) and 4/5 of my parents are off work, today...

Yep, everyone is here...

Enjoy your day....
lil angels 10:27 AM 02-21-2011
I have about 10 inches and everyone is here today except for one child and they were not sure if they were coming because mom was off for the holiday and they didn't give a call either. Love people sometimes.

Enjoy your day off.
Zoe 02:58 PM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
We have no snow, actually 60* and sunny, but it is a Federal Holiday (banks, etc.) and 4/5 of my parents are off work, today...

Yep, everyone is here...

Enjoy your day....
The frustrating thing about this Minnesota blizzard is that it WAS warm and sunny with almost all of our snow gone last week! We all got into the spring frame of mind and then it was as if winter started all over again! I am not thrilled. BTW, my kids all made it.

So I hope you enjoyed your day off Missani! At least one of us could ; )
Live and Learn 03:35 PM 02-21-2011
Since I work mostly for teachers ....I close for snow days if the public schools close.....
we don't get many snow days but I love having those surprise days off with my own children!!!!

Missani, since you don't have many snow days either perhaps you could say if such and such daycare center closes than you will be too.....depending upon the profession of your dc parents.
Tags:bad weather, no show, snow, weather policy
Reply Up