Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Vegans & Veggies...
jen 01:21 PM 04-10-2011
I just order Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet. I know we must have a couple of vegans or vegitarians on board....do you have any recipes to share?
daycare 01:34 PM 04-10-2011
I have been 100% vegan my whole life... I am doing taxes right now, but can share a million supper yummy recipes with you if you PM. I will send them later when I am done with taxes today..

Let me know...what your favorite foods and dislikes are... like, I hate califlower....won't touch it raw, but love it cooked mixed with foods..lol
jen 04:15 PM 04-10-2011
Thank you!! I sent a pm...one thing I forgot to ask...is there vegan ice cream? I love ice cream!
daycare 07:15 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Thank you!! I sent a pm...one thing I forgot to ask...is there vegan ice cream? I love ice cream!
I have seen it, but i don't like sweets very much so I don't shop for these types of foods..

have you ever heard of the palieo diet? it's not vegan, but it is a great cook book if you are looking to eat all natural foods.... its basically cave man style eating before food was ever processed and manufactured. Bacically you cant eat anything that comes out of a bag, box, processed, or man made.. My husband eats meat and I dont, so this is the perfect dite for us.. Look online for the palieo diet...

I just got home from h&R block for taxes, and still hav to get my dinner started, so I will have to get back to you tomorrow on the food stuff sorry and I promise i wont forget..
jen 06:10 AM 04-11-2011
Thank you!!!!!!
youretooloud 01:56 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
have you ever heard of the palieo diet? it's not vegan, but it is a great cook book if you are looking to eat all natural foods.... its basically cave man style eating before food was ever processed and manufactured. Bacically you cant eat anything that comes out of a bag, box, processed, or man made.. My husband eats meat and I dont, so this is the perfect dite for us.. Look online for the palieo diet...
I think I could do that. I couldn't/wouldn't ever be a Vegan. But, I could be a vegetarian. I just don't want to give up all animal products. I love eggs, and my daughter loves milk. I could give up meat (mostly)

Skinny Bitch is an awesome book though.. and, I think they have a cookbook. I love those two.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...32FD8KYD1WJFXN
ammama 07:16 AM 04-17-2011
We aren't vegetarian, but we don't eat very much meat. My 7 yr old daughters favorite meal is this:

Savory Bean Pot
2 grated apples
2 medium grated onions
2 large grated carrots
-Saute for 5 mins in a few tbs of olive oil, with 1-2 crumbled veggie bouillon cubes if you like.

Mix all together with veggies from above:
3 tbs tomato paste
1 1/4 cups water (I use leftover veggie stock)
2 tbs vinegar
1 tbs dried mustard
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs brown sugar
3 cups cooked kidney beans

Put it all into a covered casserole dish and bake for 1 hour at 350F. I often find I need a little more water in it than is called for. I usually skip the sauteing step, and just mix everything together in the casserole and cook it a bit longer. Or I set this in my crockpot in the morning.

I have made many different versions of this, and it is always good - different kinds of beans, using leftover tomato sauce/chile in place of the tomato paste, adding extra apple/carrot/onion.

Goes great with a loaf of fresh bread Or serve over rice or baked potatoes.
MG&Lsmom 07:35 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Not 100% positive, but I believe that Rice Dream and Toffutti are vegan. There are a couple of others but their names escape me at the moment. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they also have really good soy ice cream.

For meltable vegan cheese, try Follow your Heart Monterrey Jack.
jen 11:40 AM 04-17-2011
AWESOME!!!!

So far, still good! Had a really yummy roatsted veggie sandwhich with hummas for brunch! Delish!
Live and Learn 03:11 PM 04-17-2011
Ok, I admit it...I am a vegetarian, tree hugging, liberal!!
...our entire family is.
A good classic vegetarian cookbook is THE MOOSEWOOD COOKBOOk.
countrymom 10:15 AM 04-18-2011
what is the difference between vegan and vegetarian
daycare 10:17 AM 04-18-2011
vegans do not eat anything that comes from animals...milk, cheese, and etc.... while vegetarians just dont eat meats.....
Live and Learn 08:50 PM 04-18-2011
Most vegetarians eat eggs and eat/drink milks and cheeses.

Some people call themselves vegetarian and eat fish and poultry....What the hec is that? Since when is fish a veggie?! Why not just say I don't eat mammals?!...oh well, whatever blows your hair back!!!

Vegans are more strict. They eat no animal products at all.
EVA7777 06:12 PM 04-27-2011
I have heard conflicting information regarding eating Fish...Is it truly Vegan/Vegetarian if you eat Fish? I would like to try and incorporate at least Ved-Days into my family's diet so that we have at least a few days a week where we do not eat meat or meat products. I am not sure that Vegan would be entirely possible but I love veggies and would not be very hard of a change for myself. I would deeply miss cheese...

Jennifer King, MSA
Elite Virtual Accountants, Inc.
PeanutsGalore 05:07 PM 06-15-2011
Has anyone tried Luna and Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss? Awesomely tasty stuff. Great alternative to dairy-based ice cream.
Live and Learn 05:49 PM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by PeanutsGalore:
Has anyone tried Luna and Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss? Awesomely tasty stuff. Great alternative to dairy-based ice cream.
My son's favorite. I think it is made here locally.
jen 08:51 AM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by EVA7777:
I have heard conflicting information regarding eating Fish...Is it truly Vegan/Vegetarian if you eat Fish? I would like to try and incorporate at least Ved-Days into my family's diet so that we have at least a few days a week where we do not eat meat or meat products. I am not sure that Vegan would be entirely possible but I love veggies and would not be very hard of a change for myself. I would deeply miss cheese...

Jennifer King, MSA
Elite Virtual Accountants, Inc.
I am still working on truly becoming a Vegan. I stopped eating meat 4 months ago, but on two occassions I did eat fish...and I considered that cheating.
Live and Learn 10:33 AM 06-16-2011
Our family has been vegetarian for a long, long time now....20 years or so?...

I could not live without cheese though! Everybody has to draw their own line somewhere.
daycare 11:12 AM 06-16-2011
I have been vegan most of my life
I can't eat dairy, allergic. So I can't miss something ive never had. (well not since birth when we found out I was allergic)

Meat I have not eaten since age 3 or 4 and I don't recall the taste so again I don't miss it.
jen 12:39 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Our family has been vegetarian for a long, long time now....20 years or so?...

I could not live without cheese though! Everybody has to draw their own line somewhere.
Cheese has been the stumbling block for me!!! And sushi...
greenhouse 11:33 AM 06-28-2011
I make easy fudge pops that are vegan
2 bananas
3 TB cocoa powder
3 TB Sugar
add a touch of soy/almond/coconut milk
Blenderize and freeze in pop holders.

You can mix it by adding peanut butter or coconut flakes.

For food- we make wraps a lot. Pesto wraps, mini-pizzas, Broccoli wraps, Bean Quesidillas, BBQ tofu or tempeh wraps- Pleases my toddler, my 10 year old and my hubby.
jen 07:35 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
I make easy fudge pops that are vegan
2 bananas
3 TB cocoa powder
3 TB Sugar
add a touch of soy/almond/coconut milk
Blenderize and freeze in pop holders.

You can mix it by adding peanut butter or coconut flakes.

For food- we make wraps a lot. Pesto wraps, mini-pizzas, Broccoli wraps, Bean Quesidillas, BBQ tofu or tempeh wraps- Pleases my toddler, my 10 year old and my hubby.
Yum! I haven't done much with tofu...how do you bbq it? What is tempeh wraps?
Tags:recipe, vegan, vegetables
Reply Up