Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You HAD To Write A "Letter To The Editor", What Would It Be On?
Sugar Magnolia 07:19 PM 06-28-2011
I capitalize the word "HAD" because it looks like I have to. I am preparing to renew my Advanced Directors Credential and am having trouble with the section on community involvement. You must either serve on an advisory board, give a lecture or presentation at an Early Childhood conference, publish an article, write a letter to the editor of the local paper, etc.

I am struggling with this because I am a Director, but I don't have the luxury of being an office-sitting-supervising-staff-only type, I hands-on teach 50 hours a week. And do admin, lesson planning, cleaning, organizing on weekend. I don't have TIME for "community involvement". Now, we do charity fundraisers, adopt-a-soldier, make stuff for the VFW, visit elderly neighbors....etc...but apparently, that's not good enough. So....I have chosen to do a letter to the editor...BUT WHAT TOPIC?!? I don't want to be too controversial, I have to sign it and likely add the name of my facility? I have some ideas, but ugh, not too enthusiastic about any of them!
Lack of state funding for EC programs?
How budget crisis hurts child care subsidies?
Poor economy effecting kids today?
These all seem like DOWNER topics. Important, yes, but still.... Any ideas for upbeat letters to the editor?? Help! Appreciated
Abigail 07:51 PM 06-28-2011
What are things you are passionate about? If you can write on a topic that you are passionate about it will mean a lot more. Wipe out your thought process of being only-childcare-related and write down what is personally important to you. You may find you have ideas that are not tied to child care and maybe you can make child care better by linking the two together.

Will this letter to the editor benefit you some way? Are you required to write only something about your childcare center? You could always write about a win-win for volunteering and direct it towards all ages. You have say how children benefit from being taught about anything volunteers both young in middle school and older who are retired can teach them. Then equally make the volunteering experience sound beneficial.

The reason I thought of this topic is because once in awhile we have a 12 year old who comes in with folks from an "adult daycare" and they all enjoy talking about the same things. The "adult daycare" people have the same interests in dinosaurs and learning the alphabet as the children do and I find it very beneficial for both. Another plus side, it's FREE.
nannyde 05:54 AM 06-29-2011
Shug

Do you see this as an advertisment for your business?
Cat Herder 05:58 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Shug

Do you see this as an advertisment for your business?
It almost always feels that way.
laundrymom 09:59 AM 06-29-2011
Here would give kudos to an organization or program that has directly impacted my life. I would do our referral place and mention things they have done, types of services they provide. How it has impacted the level of care I provide and the ways the children have been helped.
Sugar Magnolia 10:00 AM 06-29-2011
Abigail, thank you for your thoughtful reply! It does have to be related to the child care industry somehow. I like your idea about how volunteers young and old can be valuable assets. I am trying to write with a POSITIVE bent, but will the paper even publish it?!?! Seems like the paper is mostly interested in "controversy". Thanks again for your reply, appreciate your idea

Nannyde, Catherder: ????? I'm confused about your comments. Its not an advertisement. And I don't view it as such. Its one of the easier, less time consuming ways to fulfill the community involvement requirement to renew my credential. I purchase advertising when I want to advertise, or submit a cute "community interest" story for free publicity. A newspaper is not going to publish a "letter to the editor" if it reads like an ad anyways. I'd rather not even do it at ALL, and won't put my center's name on it if I don't have to. I'd simply be commenting on some aspect of the field of Early Childhood Education, an aspect the paper would be interested in publishing.
Sugar Magnolia 10:02 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Here would give kudos to an organization or program that has directly impacted my life. I would do our referral place and mention things they have done, types of services they provide. How it has impacted the level of care I provide and the ways the children have been helped.
Now that's an EXCELLENT idea! Yes! I like it! Thanks!!
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Nannyde, Catherder: ????? I'm confused about your comments. Its not an advertisement. .
If it is going to be published and will be in the same community as your business you may want to find a way to have it work to your PR advantage.

That is all....

Even when doing your initial binder you have to remember someone is going to associate what you say to your business PR. Even your inspectors are asked to give referrals from time to time...
Sugar Magnolia 10:48 AM 06-29-2011
Oh ok Cat, I see your point now. That is exactly why I don't want to do it though! Ugh, no win situation. Maybe I will go with a letter of praise for our local Early Learning Coalition....I decidely want to avoid contoversy, but it seems like the paper craves the controversial letters.
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 06-29-2011
Oh ok Cat, I see your point now. That is exactly why I don't want to do it though! Ugh, no win situation. Maybe I will go with a letter of praise for our local Early Learning Coalition....I decidely want to avoid contoversy, but it seems like the paper craves the controversial letters.
IMHO

A good "inclusion and benefits of early intervention in childcare settings" story seems to be a very popular choice around here.

The problem with it is that all the responsibilities and costs associated with it currently falls on the provider making them less likely to follow the recommendation.

Maybe point out some of the obvious issues and offer a valid future solution? Toss in some stats and costs. Maybe a heart warming success story and a tear jerking failure of the system to make it sink in. End with a neutral statement about how you dream of a day where the best met needs of a child were never leveled with the cost of providing it.

I know I'd have to order that delivered, myself. It is how most of us feel everyday.
Sugar Magnolia 11:07 AM 06-29-2011
Thanks Cat! That is a good idea too! Hmmm. Maybe how inclusion can be costly to providers and the lack of state funding to assist providers with inclusion..... Good feedback! Thanks!!!!
Cat Herder 11:12 AM 06-29-2011
Thanks Cat! That is a good idea too! Hmmm. Maybe how inclusion can be costly to providers and the lack of state funding to assist providers with inclusion..... Good feedback! Thanks!!!!
Any time!!! I so want to come check out your daycare.

My friend in Florida just sold hers... It was my dream center, I just could not afford that kind of commitment.

Yours sounds amazing.
nannyde 11:38 AM 06-29-2011
Abigail, thank you for your thoughtful reply! It does have to be related to the child care industry somehow. I like your idea about how volunteers young and old can be valuable assets. I am trying to write with a POSITIVE bent, but will the paper even publish it?!?! Seems like the paper is mostly interested in "controversy". Thanks again for your reply, appreciate your idea

Nannyde, Catherder: ????? I'm confused about your comments. Its not an advertisement. And I don't view it as such. Its one of the easier, less time consuming ways to fulfill the community involvement requirement to renew my credential. I purchase advertising when I want to advertise, or submit a cute "community interest" story for free publicity. A newspaper is not going to publish a "letter to the editor" if it reads like an ad anyways. I'd rather not even do it at ALL, and won't put my center's name on it if I don't have to. I'd simply be commenting on some aspect of the field of Early Childhood Education, an aspect the paper would be interested in publishing.
Oh no Shug

You misunderstood.

I'm asking if this will be a way to advertise your business so you would be limited on how gritty or contriversial you could be.
Sugar Magnolia 11:58 AM 06-29-2011
Thanks Nannyde, I did totally misunderstand you. Yes, its a tough call. Reading the threads about the Minnesota shut down got me thinking I could go in that direction, but just tooooo political! And if I go too 'generic' the paper won't publish and I will still have NOTHING to submit to the state! I dunno, have no earthly clue how to get an "article in an educational publication" published! Frustrating!! I'm not interested in being a "community leader", I just want to provide quality care to my students, but apparently the state of FL feels I should be. Hoops, lots and lots of hoops to jump through. Grrrr! Thanks for your support Nannyde!
Michael 12:38 PM 06-29-2011
Write an article for Daycare.com. We will publish it.
Sugar Magnolia 12:52 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
REALLY?!?!? Wow, that would be MAJORLY helpful!! The regs say no "blogging type submissions" so I ruled out the forum thread discussions, but an "article" would be FABULOUS!!
laundrymom 03:03 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
And yet again,... Michael rocks!!!!! :-)
Michael 03:25 PM 06-29-2011
REALLY?!?!? Wow, that would be MAJORLY helpful!! The regs say no "blogging type submissions" so I ruled out the forum thread discussions, but an "article" would be FABULOUS!!
PM me and we'll discuss a topic.
Tags:article, director
Reply Up