Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Year Olds And Circle Time
thecrazyisout 05:26 AM 07-28-2011
Hi there....

Curious to know tactics to help younger children stay focused during circle time. My own 2 year old is having problems at gymnastics and not wanting to sit and listen to the teacher. I know it is an age thing, but anything I can use to help with my own circle time children, would be handy!

Thank you!
Crystal 06:55 AM 07-28-2011
Make it fun......music and movement, flannel board stories, fingerplays, a quick book and be done. Limit it to 10 minutes, at the most. Allow them to ask questions, and answer them.....even if it doesn't pertain to your "topic" of the day. And most importantly, never expect a two year old to sit and listen....allow them to leave circle time if they want to. While circle time can be beneficial for twos....the main point of circle time is for the older children to be able to learn to sit, focus, participate and follow directions as they are preparing for kindy, which will require them to stay in circle time.
daycare 07:04 AM 07-28-2011
How many 2s are in her class? My daughter started about that same age and she dis the same thing. I asked the teacher to team her up with an older partner. It worked for a bit, but my daughter was very curious. It took a few months for her to settle in.
You should see my daughter now. She's 13 and an impressive gymnast.

How long as she been going? Give her some time to get used to the routine. If your daughter is anything like my son, age 3 he's used to everything mommy due to the DC.
SilverSabre25 07:34 AM 07-28-2011
Use an "Up, down, up" pattern-- Have them up and moving, then one short segment where they're sitting and listening, then a segment where they're up and moving, etc.
SilverSabre25 07:35 AM 07-28-2011
Oh, and expect a lot of wiggly squirrelyness. Kids this age just don't sit and listen very well. It's just not something they are very capable of.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout:
Hi there....

Curious to know tactics to help younger children stay focused during circle time. My own 2 year old is having problems at gymnastics and not wanting to sit and listen to the teacher. I know it is an age thing, but anything I can use to help with my own circle time children, would be handy!

Thank you!
Please don't take this the wrong way but, in all honesty you will be fighting a losing battle since expecting a 2 year old to participate in an organized activity and focus for more than a few minutes is not at all developentally appropriate. They do not have the ability mentally or physically to sit and focus on something. I am sure someone will quote me and say their 2 year old did this or that and I am sure there are a few out there that can and will.

But that being said, generally, 2 year olds shouldn't be expected to sit and focus. The 2nd year of life is when they are going a million miles an hour trying to take in everything they see, hear, touch, feel, and taste. Which is why people say "terrible 2's".....kwim? I also think this is exactly why most pre-schools centers start with 3 year olds.

The only advice I have is that you should go ahead and do circle time and just make it routine and habitual to invite the 2 year olds to sit but don't fret when they get up and leave and come back and sit and then get up and leave again. That just what they do. I think if we insist or force them to sit and remain seated, we will be setting them and ourselves up for failure. THey will stay seated for longer and longer periods of the change is gradual and not forced. It has to happen on their own timeclocks. Development is so indivual and IMPO, 2 is the toughest year (at least for providers/parents).
SilverSabre25 07:42 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Please don't take this the wrong way but, in all honesty you will be fighting a losing battle since expecting a 2 year old to participate in an organized activity and focus for more than a few minutes is not at all developentally appropriate. They do not have the ability mentally or physically to sit and focus on something. I am sure someone will quote me and say their 2 year old did this or that and I am sure there are a few out there that can and will.

But that being said, generally, 2 year olds shouldn't be expected to sit and focus. The 2nd year of life is when they are going a million miles an hour trying to take in everything they see, hear, touch, feel, and taste. Which is why people say "terrible 2's".....kwim? I also think this is exactly why most pre-schools centers start with 3 year olds.

The only advice I have is that you should go ahead and do circle time and just make it routine and habitual to invite the 2 year olds to sit but don't fret when they get up and leave and come back and sit and then get up and leave again. That just what they do. I think if we insist or force them to sit and remain seated, we will be setting them and ourselves up for failure. THey will stay seated for longer and longer periods of the change is gradual and not forced. It has to happen on their own timeclocks. Development is so indivual and IMPO, 2 is the toughest year (at least for providers/parents).
Yeah, this is what I was going for! My two year olds are shrieking like banshees today though despite repeated requests for quiet voices, so my brain is shot :P.
thecrazyisout 09:50 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I totally understand this and it is my own opinion as well, and I usually felt this way until my own 2 yo began to do this! I feel like the parent that doesn't know how to control their child in class, all the other children sit and participate (al 2 year olds), and so it is frustrating. It feels like i am doing something wrong! I know I am not, but man I hate that feeling.
Tags:2 year old, circle time
Reply Up