Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transition Times ...
DaycareMom 08:14 AM 06-13-2013
I am curious what you all do for transition times ...

For example, after a meal, or when asked to get shoes on ...if there are a few who finish before the others, what do you have those children do? Do you make them sit until everyone finishes?

I have such a wide age range that I need to have some simple "waiting" activities for the faster kids.

So far I have done reading books and coloring but am at a loss for other ideas that are not messy and can be done in a few minutes. I want them to be able to wrap up their "activity" by the time the slower kids are done.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
jessrlee 10:30 AM 06-13-2013
For putting on shoes or coats I have the bigs help out their little buddies. For snacks and activities they can wait or sometimes go free play. After lunch they find a cot and go to sleep.
My3cents 11:24 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I am curious what you all do for transition times ...

For example, after a meal, or when asked to get shoes on ...if there are a few who finish before the others, what do you have those children do? Do you make them sit until everyone finishes?

I have such a wide age range that I need to have some simple "waiting" activities for the faster kids.

So far I have done reading books and coloring but am at a loss for other ideas that are not messy and can be done in a few minutes. I want them to be able to wrap up their "activity" by the time the slower kids are done.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I have them sit and wait because if I were to pull something else out they would all want that and be done eating or interest in whatever else we were doing. Teaches patience- If offer out books they don't want to do what they are doing they want to be done so that doesn't help. I have a couple that eat super fast, way too fast and so they sit and make table conversation while friends finish.
daycare 11:36 AM 06-13-2013
we sing songs...

this is the way we put on our shoes put on our shoes put on our shoes, this is the way we put on our shoes so early in the _____________________

we sing until everyone is done.

We play simon says or similar games.... and we play until everyone is done
Tags:transition, transition times
Reply Up