Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle Snow?
Heidi 11:26 AM 10-29-2013
]My kiddos are 2 (today), 10m, 11m, and 17 weeks (not sitting up, obviously, but hopefully by the time the snow hits, he will).

How do you get your kids out for walks when in snows? We have no sidewalks here, and my cart does not work safely on icy or slushy roads. The idea of bundling all 4 of these kiddos up in full snow gear and then having 3 of them pretty much immobile from the weight of it does NOT sound fun. But, we need to get outside at least a little every day. If they rode vs. crawled, I could skip the snow pants and go with blankets across their lap, but I have to figure out how.

Any ideas?

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...twinbabysleigh

Maybe this would work?
Leanna 11:31 AM 10-29-2013
Pull them in a toboggan. You can wear the littlest one who isn't sitting up yet.
heyhun77 11:32 AM 10-29-2013
I use my double stroller with stroller skis strapped onto the wheels and then for the toddlers that can't walk as well with all their gear on plus deeper snow I pull them in a sled behind me. To make sure that we get outside every day I also use the snow blower to make paths in the backyard because then even the crawlers can get out of the stroller and move around in the fresh air. If it's particularly snowy or windy (pretty much windy all the time) I will just take them out the door and play in the front yard that tends to get deep snow. They love to just dig in the snow and I can keep them nearby even without the fence because they can't move as fast with all the gear and the snow.
Heidi 11:33 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Pull them in a toboggan. You can wear the littlest one who isn't sitting up yet.

seriously, he's already 20 pounds! Super chunk!

No, that might be an idea. Do you think I could carry him on my back and pull 3 more?

Why can't they make a sled to PUSH vs pull?
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 10-29-2013
Skis on a wagon. LLBean sells them. I think there are less expensive versions but their wagon liner is awesome.

Heidi 11:42 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
I use my double stroller with stroller skis strapped onto the wheels and then for the toddlers that can't walk as well with all their gear on plus deeper snow I pull them in a sled behind me. To make sure that we get outside every day I also use the snow blower to make paths in the backyard because then even the crawlers can get out of the stroller and move around in the fresh air. If it's particularly snowy or windy (pretty much windy all the time) I will just take them out the door and play in the front yard that tends to get deep snow. They love to just dig in the snow and I can keep them nearby even without the fence because they can't move as fast with all the gear and the snow.
STROLLER SKIS!

I didn't know such a thing existed....looking them up now. Thanks!
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 10-29-2013
This looks like an awesome idea!

http://snowstroller.ca/media/wysiwyg...er_250x250.jpg
Leanna 11:45 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

seriously, he's already 20 pounds! Super chunk!

No, that might be an idea. Do you think I could carry him on my back and pull 3 more?

Why can't they make a sled to PUSH vs pull?
LOL....I thought it was a little guy!!! Maybe in a backpack carrier? A sled you can push is a great idea!
Heidi 11:49 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
LOL....I thought it was a little guy!!! Maybe in a backpack carrier? A sled you can push is a great idea!
He's 17 weeks...and 19 or 20 pounds. Official weight will be determined at his check up tomorrow. He is my "little guy"!
snbauser 12:04 PM 10-29-2013
Can I just say I am chuckling as I read this? I grew up in NJ where we had plenty of snow. Lived for 12 years in CA where the closest we got to snow was a significant hail storm, once. Moved here to NC 6 years ago where everything shuts down with a dusting of snow. I'm reading and thinking "go out in the snow with daycare kids?" Um nope. Schools shut dow and since I follow their schedule, so do I.
Heidi 12:08 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Can I just say I am chuckling as I read this? I grew up in NJ where we had plenty of snow. Lived for 12 years in CA where the closest we got to snow was a significant hail storm, once. Moved here to NC 6 years ago where everything shuts down with a dusting of snow. I'm reading and thinking "go out in the snow with daycare kids?" Um nope. Schools shut dow and since I follow their schedule, so do I.
I'm already dreading it, I have to be honest. It will take me longer to get them out the door than they'll last out there. Oh, and dcb who turns 2 today...his mom has already brought up potty training once (although he shows NO SIGNS of interest). I just can't wait to spend 25 minutes getting 4 kids dressed while they're pulling off whatever I've got on so far.

sigh....
nothingwithoutjoy 12:23 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
]My kiddos are 2 (today), 10m, 11m, and 17 weeks (not sitting up, obviously, but hopefully by the time the snow hits, he will).

How do you get your kids out for walks when in snows? We have no sidewalks here, and my cart does not work safely on icy or slushy roads. The idea of bundling all 4 of these kiddos up in full snow gear and then having 3 of them pretty much immobile from the weight of it does NOT sound fun. But, we need to get outside at least a little every day. If they rode vs. crawled, I could skip the snow pants and go with blankets across their lap, but I have to figure out how.

Any ideas?

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...twinbabysleigh

Maybe this would work?
When I had babies/toddlers, I pretty much never took them for a walk once the snow started piling up--the sidewalks got too narrow/unevenly shoveled to use.

However, we go out every day. Lots of layers. Playing in the snow. If it was too deep for little legs to manage, we'd tromp a path and a flat place, or play in the driveway, reaching into the snow on the sides (painting snow like that is always a huge hit). We'd also use a baby sled for the bigger kids to pull the littles around, and a blow-up sled as a soft off-the-snow place to sit/rest/play.

I'm back into it this winter, as I have a new little guy who's incredibly unstable on his feet.
TwinKristi 12:28 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Yeah I'm born & raised CA girl except a 9 month cross country move to PA which had more snow that year than in the 25yrs before! LOL I haven't seen snow in my town since 2002 and the whole place shut down! Schools, buses, etc. it was crazy! I can't imagine taking multiple babies out in the snow?! Yikes! It's hard enough dealing with rain!
Angelsj 05:33 PM 10-29-2013
I know it is nice to get out, but sometimes when it is quite cold, we bring the snow in to us. Lay down towels or a large blanket, get some gloves or mittens and some big old pans full of snow. Fun times!!
jenn 07:21 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I know it is nice to get out, but sometimes when it is quite cold, we bring the snow in to us. Lay down towels or a large blanket, get some gloves or mittens and some big old pans full of snow. Fun times!!
Last year we built a little snowman in our kitchen. They thought it was great!
Childminder 07:41 PM 10-29-2013
I always complain that by the time I get the last one dressed and outside it's time to come back in and for goodness sake do not let the parents send GLOVES. Only mittens. I always tell them that if every one sends gloves and I have to get 60 fingers in those d#^! things that daycare will close and they can visit me in the asylum.

We do go out everyday and if nothing else just throw them into a snowbank.
Image0025.jpg
Attached:
Josiegirl 03:35 AM 10-30-2013
Is it April yet? I dread it so much.
Already I have one little girl who just stands there and cries the whole time we're outside, complaining cause she's cold. Mittens don't stay on, my dog steals their hats I have 3 little ones and a couple preschoolers. Right now I have 2 LT sleds so I need to get another one, just for transporting them to the backyard. My dilemma is...how do you get them all buckled into the sleds? I mean, obviously the sleds are outside the front door, while the kids are inside. I have to do them one by one. Any ideas?

Com'on April.
Laurel 04:10 AM 10-30-2013
I used to live where it snowed (but didn't do daycare then). No way I'd take that many that are that little out. When I was younger I did a lot of things I wouldn't do now though. Just getting all the snow gear on so many little ones gives me the willies.

Laurel
Familycare71 04:46 AM 10-30-2013
As little as possible!! it sure looks pretty out the window tho! I think this year I am going to do our outside time for the most part on our deck- ill keep it shoveled so its easier for the two year olds -
Tags:snow, snow gear
Reply Up