Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Snow Dilemma
Naptime yet? 04:42 AM 12-10-2013
I need help figuring out how I feel. On the one hand, I want to close when the weather is bad, when public schools are closed, but I don't get paid when I close. On the other hand, some parents are, well, idiots & bring their kids out in crappy weather even when they have the day off because they frankly can't deal (or don't want to) with their kids (and god forbid I get a paid day off). I can't afford to lose money...I know this is cut-n-dry for some providers, but for me....or am I being too passive- aggressive? Am I trying to "teach" the parents a lesson by wAnting to close during bad weather? Or am I over-thinking this and am just crazy? Maybe I'm looking for a way to close but still get paid....sorry this is so long!
Cradle2crayons 04:55 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
I need help figuring out how I feel. On the one hand, I want to close when the weather is bad, when public schools are closed, but I don't get paid when I close. On the other hand, some parents are, well, idiots & bring their kids out in crappy weather even when they have the day off because they frankly can't deal (or don't want to) with their kids (and god forbid I get a paid day off). I can't afford to lose money...I know this is cut-n-dry for some providers, but for me....or am I being too passive- aggressive? Am I trying to "teach" the parents a lesson by wAnting to close during bad weather? Or am I over-thinking this and am just crazy? Maybe I'm looking for a way to close but still get paid....sorry this is so long!
Can I ask why yu don't get paid for closing? Just because you aren't requiring payment if they aren't here, weather is beyond your control.

I would simply add that as an addendum.

Mother Nature isn't controlled by you.
nannyde 05:01 AM 12-10-2013
I don't close during the school closing but I do close if the county courthouse closes. It is paid. Just put it in your policies that you are closed during school closings and these days are paid.

I have only had one time in twenty years when all the kids couldn't make it in. I had one parent try it. Both parents were off that day and they didn't want the kid at home. I told them everyone else cancelled and they were thrilled at the prospect that their child would have a full day of one to one care. They got stuck in their driveway and couldn't get out. I didn't find out until eleven that they were not able to come.

My experience is that you have a full house on school closing days. Everyone can make it in but the staff assistant. Parents come early to drop off and are late picking up.

My biggest concern is that once the first child arrives I can't manage the outside property. My staff always cancels on these days so I'm the lone ranger. Now that my son is old enough to shovel, I hope I can manage it a little better.
hope 05:09 AM 12-10-2013
I just came on here to ask the same question. My contract doesn't specifically state anything about inclement weather. It does state that if I close it is unpaid. If they chose not to come but I am open it is a paid day. I would like to revise this bc all but one showed up today. The one that did show is the child that has a medical condition. I would rather not have children here when roads are this bad. If anything were to happen it would be difficult for emergency vehicles to get to my home. Also, the selfish part of me want to take my DD & DS out to play in the snow and Dcg is too young to take with and of course parents didn't pack a snow suit for me to even try.
Naptime yet? 05:42 AM 12-10-2013
Thank you, ladies, I knew you would be able to help! I am currently updating my handbook & will add that if schools are closed, so am I and because I can't control the weather (or "circumstances beyond my control")and I will still be expected to be paid. Should I give an explanation (for their safety?)? I feel like I should, as this will be a shock for some of my DFs.
Play Care 05:43 AM 12-10-2013
I do not close unless a state of emergency has been declared in the county and they are requesting non-essential personnel to stay off roads. For normal school closings I am open as they tend to be very conservative about closing and nothing else would be closed. Anytime I close due to "mother nature" it's paid. I also say that if weather related issues are not an excuse for me to close, then the parents can't use it as an excuse to be late. Normal late fees apply - they can't have it both ways IMO

I require teachers to keep their kids home during snow days (they get a hefty discount because I WANT teachers kids ) so I may pick up some SA kids, I'm often much lower in numbers.
Daycaregranny 06:10 AM 12-10-2013
You should always do what's right for you. I learned a long time ago to not try and train my families, some just don't/won't ever get it. It just becomes too frustrating. I have some families that would crawl on their tongues to get here in the middle of a nor'easter!! I'm home and safe, I'm open. If they want to come than they do. If they are late picking up then they have to pay extra. Staffing is usually not a problem because most of my families are pretty good about staying home if it's really bad but some will get here any way they can. Crazy. I have one parent that has twins,actually lives next door and works at another childcare center!! If they close somehow she always has something else she has to do.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 12-10-2013
Am I trying to "teach" the parents a lesson by wAnting to close during bad weather?
If you are not available for care, the parents will usually just find someone else to care for their child. You won't be teaching the daycare parents anything.

I understand where you are coming from but the stupid choices some parents make will be made anyways, regardless of your policies....kwim?

Of you want to close when the weather is bad enough hat school is closed. Just do it.

If you want to be paid for those days, charge. They don't happen often enough that anyone should complain.

Daycare is give and take at times and closing when the weather is bad is just something I choose not to have to stress about. If travel is not safe for schoolers, then it isn't safe to come to daycare either.

Simple as that.
Naptime yet? 06:30 AM 12-10-2013
Why I guess I'm torn is because I only have 4 dks. And when dps call to say they may not be coming, they ALWAYS ask, "are there any other kids coming", like what difference does that make? It's like they want me to talk them into coming. Then they proceed to tell me they'll drop the kids off later in the day when the weather is better. And this is my fault because I allow it to happen. And I don't know why it bugs me, but it obviously does, so I need to change it. It would just be easier to say, no school, no daycare, no "refunds" due to closures due to circumstances beyond my control. I need to be more black & white about some things.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 12-10-2013
Why I guess I'm torn is because I only have 4 dks. And when dps call to say they may not be coming, they ALWAYS ask, "are there any other kids coming", like what difference does that make? It's like they want me to talk them into coming. Then they proceed to tell me they'll drop the kids off later in the day when the weather is better. And this is my fault because I allow it to happen. And I don't know why it bugs me, but it obviously does, so I need to change it. It would just be easier to say, no school, no daycare, no "refunds" due to closures due to circumstances beyond my control. I need to be more black & white about some things.
Some times it feels wrong to be so black and white but honestly, there are just some areas of this job that you have to be. Which areas differ for everyone but I feel that if I borrow other people's issues then I just create more stress and worry for myself...kwim?

Sometimes just saying "this is my rule period" is the only way to manage other people.

If you are too flexible, people will always find loopholes and ways around your rules/policies and you will end feeling used, abused and disrespected.

If you are strict about the things that cause you the most stress, it is much easier to deal with and much clearer for those that tend to bend the rules a bit too often.

HTH
Naptime yet? 07:30 AM 12-10-2013
Very helpful, as always. Being a new provider I was trying to be fair, causing more headache & stress on my end. Plus, it's taken me forever to get kids and I don't want to lose them, but caca happens. I think my dps will understand and if not, thank goodness there are choices.
crazydaycarelady 07:39 AM 12-10-2013
I stay open and get paid whether they show up or not. They all show up. We are in MT and NEVER close for roads, maybe a late start but we had 4 inches of snow last night on top of yesterdays 4 inches and it is business as usual today.
Naptime yet? 11:22 AM 12-10-2013
So in the end I realize it's more of a safety issue. I'm on a private road with a steep hill & if there was an emergency I would be stuck (we are plowed at whim & I don't have 4-wheel drive). If I lived somewhere else I would remain open, but I don't want to chance it. The other issue was being paid, but I resolved that, too. Now to inform the clients...Thank you, everyone, again!
Annalee 11:45 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Some times it feels wrong to be so black and white but honestly, there are just some areas of this job that you have to be. Which areas differ for everyone but I feel that if I borrow other people's issues then I just create more stress and worry for myself...kwim?

Sometimes just saying "this is my rule period" is the only way to manage other people.

If you are too flexible, people will always find loopholes and ways around your rules/policies and you will end feeling used, abused and disrespected.

If you are strict about the things that cause you the most stress, it is much easier to deal with and much clearer for those that tend to bend the rules a bit too often.

HTH

Tags:snow
Reply Up