Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Removal...Ugh!
DaycareMom 02:38 PM 12-17-2013
It started snowing at noon today and we have already gotten about 4 inches. My plow guy (my dad) hasn't come yet and DCPs are due to arrive momentarily.

What do you do when you get a lot of snow and can obviously not remove it yourself?

Do DCPs park at the end of your driveway? I don't know what to do lol
Michael 02:41 PM 12-17-2013
Its 84F here in CA. I wish I had some of your snow. Send some this way.....but only for a couple weeks.
Leanna 02:46 PM 12-17-2013
I shovel the porch, walkway, sidewalk, and driveway in the morning before anyone arrives. Sometimes, I'll suit up the kids and we'll all go out and shovel together midday but if it snows all day I expect my parents to understand that I cannot keep up with it. I used to have a neighborhood boy who would shovel for $$ but he went to college. If it gets really yucky parents will usually park in the street unless they have a truck lol.
itlw8 02:52 PM 12-17-2013
tell the parents where the shovel is and first one there can shovel.
Play Care 03:06 PM 12-17-2013
This happened to me today. I let parents know that while I do my best to keep my driveway (very long and on a hill) clear, it's not always possible. I let them know they will need to use their 4 wheel drive vehicles (most have at least one car with it) or walk. I also have them sign a waiver stating that use of the driveway during storms is at their own risk. I know it doesn't take away their right to sue - but I've heard that most judges will side with you if they know the parents were aware of the conditions ahead of time and chose to do it anyway.
MarinaVanessa 03:48 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Its 84F here in CA. I wish I had some of your snow. Send some this way.....but only for a couple weeks.
Tell me about it .
melskids 03:56 PM 12-17-2013
Everyone here has 4 wheel drive and good winter boots. You kind of HAVE to, living where we are.
DaycareMom 04:07 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
tell the parents where the shovel is and first one there can shovel.
love it!
Mister Sir Husband 07:31 PM 12-17-2013
I've been thinking about this myself. I have a 250ft driveway that goes uphill. Unfortunately I am still to this point shoveling it myself as I haven't gotten a snow blower yet and also havent found anyone yet with a plow that wants my money bad enough to call me back. I'm gonna tell my dcp's that I will have it cleared for dropoff, but can't guarantee anything come time for pickup. I did however ask my insurance company what would happen if someone slides off it trying to drive down and he said as long as its cleared to a reasonable standard its not my problem. So hopefully I can find someone to come plow it in the afternoon if its needed.
Onetiredmom 06:42 AM 12-18-2013
I have a long, uphill driveway as well. We have a Bobcat to clear the driveway, but I obviously cannot operate it while daycare kids are here, and my husband doesn't get home until well after I close for the day. Two weeks ago we received about 7 inches of snow during the day. At drop-off, I let parents know that though the driveway was clear then, it would not be at the end of the day; they needed to be prepared to walk. They all understood, and they all walked up to the house in the afternoon.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 12-18-2013
It's standard here to simply be prepared for snow.

My parents all know that I will have the driveway and sidewalk clear before opening but if snow is falling during the day, they need to use their best judgment and act/drive accordingly.

My DH will plow the driveway when he comes in for lunch but after that, if snow accumulates quickly, then it is what it is and parents need to be careful.

I do have a DCD that will grab the shovel and clear the sidewalk if it needs it but he doesn't always do the pick ups and he isn't always the first one here at pick up to do it.

I also have a relative on the city plow crew and he will make a pass by my house every now and then when he is in the area.

Other than that, it snows in MN. If people live here, they know that and it's not something I feel the need to cover or have a plan for...kwim?
Sugar Magnolia 07:28 AM 12-18-2013
Funny, I have been looking to purchase a nice wide, flat snow shovel.....but can't find one for sale.....in Florida. I need it for sand removal.
Play Care 09:14 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's standard here to simply be prepared for snow.

My parents all know that I will have the driveway and sidewalk clear before opening but if snow is falling during the day, they need to use their best judgment and act/drive accordingly.

My DH will plow the driveway when he comes in for lunch but after that, if snow accumulates quickly, then it is what it is and parents need to be careful.

I do have a DCD that will grab the shovel and clear the sidewalk if it needs it but he doesn't always do the pick ups and he isn't always the first one here at pick up to do it.

I also have a relative on the city plow crew and he will make a pass by my house every now and then when he is in the area.

Other than that, it snows in MN. If people live here, they know that and it's not something I feel the need to cover or have a plan for...kwim?

Tags:snow
Reply Up