Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Everyone Is Getting Crazy..Here Comes The Storm...
melilley 12:42 PM 01-04-2014
Everyone here is getting crazy! We are supposed to have a storm that is going to produce 6-12" of snow. I was about to head out to the grocery store to do my weekly grocery shopping when I saw that people were commenting on FB on how long the lines are and how meat is getting sparse. Awesome! I don't know if I should venture out or not. Target has groceries, maybe people will forget that and no one will be there...maybe?. Should I venture out -I don't know!?

It may be peanut butter and jelly for a few days...
Maria2013 01:46 PM 01-04-2014
yup! just got a text from DH he's stuck at the grocery store, says it's a madhouse
NeedaVaca 01:50 PM 01-04-2014
Same where I live and I did need a few things-stores were insane! I had to go to 3 stores because they were out of the one thing I really wanted (split peas). I have my heart set on split pea soup tomorrow Every line was open and they were all 10 people deep for checkout, shelves are practically bare!
MsLaura529 03:15 PM 01-04-2014
Same thing here I have had a couple post pictures from Meijer with completely EMPTY produce sections and milk fridges! I guess they were even handing out cookies in line because people were starting to fight.
Maria2013 03:37 PM 01-04-2014
did it start to snow where you're at?
BumbleBee 03:40 PM 01-04-2014
Same deal going on here too. Meijer's was crazy! Stay warm!
MyAngels 06:40 PM 01-04-2014
They're calling for 5 to 10 inches here, but it's still not snowing. I went out at 830 this morning for groceries as usual and the lines were already getting crazy. You would think we were going to be snowed in for a week It tends to get this way even when the forecast is only for a couple of inches too .
Michael 06:41 PM 01-04-2014
Sounds exciting. We're bored out here in California.
sahm1225 07:20 PM 01-04-2014
Michael - come to chicago then. Below zero will keep you entertained!

And I have to admit that it didn't even cross my mind to stick up on food. Guessing it's too late to go now. With everything closing and the weather advisories, maybe I will end up with Monday off!
SilverSabre25 08:34 PM 01-04-2014
I just shopped like normal. it wasn't crazy last night (central OH)

BUT then they changed our forecast. Now they aren't sure WHAT we're getting until it gets cold...first they said 8-12 inches, now some sources say "snow showers"

Pssh. We'll be FINE.

Right?

(cue anxiety flare up, wheeee!)
Meyou 04:51 AM 01-05-2014
Our stores were insanity a couple of days ago before we got the snow. I texted dh a list to get on the way home since I was out of milk and bread and had to work the next day.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:52 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I just shopped like normal. it wasn't crazy last night (central OH)

BUT then they changed our forecast. Now they aren't sure WHAT we're getting until it gets cold...first they said 8-12 inches, now some sources say "snow showers"

Pssh. We'll be FINE.

Right?

(cue anxiety flare up, wheeee!)
My guys are headed your way today (Sunday) so may the roads be good until they are back home this evening
There is always food in the house... it just depends on what I want to cook We could do a couple of weeks but we may be having some odd meals!!
Play Care 05:17 AM 01-05-2014
We are supposed to get some nasty weather tonight and into tomorrow morning. I do have to do my regular weekly shopping at some point today, so I guess I'll see how bad it is.

Tomorrow is supposed to be back to school after the break so my kids might have one more day off
Maria2013 05:51 AM 01-05-2014
my dogs are loving all this snow
melilley 07:11 AM 01-05-2014
Last night I drove to Meijer and the parking lot was full to the max so went to Target and there was really nobody there! I think people forget that they have food.

There is quite a bit of snow right now, but they say it'll pick up this afternoon. My dh is a manager at Target and he said people are calling in left and right.
melilley 07:13 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
my dogs are loving all this snow
Haha my dog went to go to the bathroom (#2) and the snow was really deep so he had to run to another part of the yard and low and behold he found a spot.....on the playground!

We have snow here, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot. They say it will pick up this afternoon.
Maria2013 07:14 AM 01-05-2014
more than the amount of snow, it is the freezing temperatures that worry me
so far only one family canceled on me
melilley 07:15 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Tomorrow is supposed to be back to school after the break so my kids might have one more day off
My dd is so excited that she may have another day off! They cancelled school the Friday before the break started so if they do it again, it will be an extra long break!
melilley 07:15 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:

I like the snow.....for about a week and then I'm done!
melilley 07:18 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
My guys are headed your way today (Sunday) so may the roads be good until they are back home this evening
There is always food in the house... it just depends on what I want to cook We could do a couple of weeks but we may be having some odd meals!!
I hope the roads stay clear for them!

I always have food too, well with the exception of meat, but if I didn't go, then I may not meet the requirements of the food program if I couldn't get to the store for a few days...lol But then again, why would parents come if I can't get to the store..hmmm... sorry, just thinking out loud...lol
Maria2013 07:20 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Haha my dog went to go to the bathroom (#2) and the snow was really deep so he had to run to another part of the yard and low and behold he found a spot.....on the playground!

We have snow here, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot. They say it will pick up this afternoon.
I wonder what goes through the mind of a dog...could they be blaming us for this mess?

we got 6-7" but it's still snowing
itlw8 07:22 AM 01-05-2014
I normally shop on Sundays so we went yesterday. ALL the lines at Walmart were open but only 3 in each line. I think we are only supposed to get 3 to 5 inches here. but the cold tomorrow is what they are worried about mostly. I always have a full pantry so we are prepared. I can live with out milk.
Happily_wed 07:29 AM 01-05-2014
We aren't supposed to get much snow but we are supposed to have wind chills of -33 Monday night into Tuesday! COLD! I am always pretty much stocked up on everything we will need. Just hoping our power doesn't go out.
melilley 07:41 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:
We aren't supposed to get much snow but we are supposed to have wind chills of -33 Monday night into Tuesday! COLD! I am always pretty much stocked up on everything we will need. Just hoping our power doesn't go out.
We were stocked up-were. I have a fridge/freezer in the basement in addition to our main one and the freezers were pretty much stocked up and our main fridge had a lot of food. Then we had an ice storm the week of Christmas and lost power for 7 days. I had to throw everything out in both fridge/freezers!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:29 AM 01-05-2014
Food requirements- If it is that bad I would hope parents would keep them home!
Meat- I can always cook some baked beans etc. I have a fairly large qty of string cheese on hand.
I would probably need Milk mid week. It is hard to fit that much milk in my frig!
melilley 08:59 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Food requirements- If it is that bad I would hope parents would keep them home!
Meat- I can always cook some baked beans etc. I have a fairly large qty of string cheese on hand.
I would probably need Milk mid week. It is hard to fit that much milk in my frig!
I do have lots of cheese and some beans. I always forget that those items can be counted as a meat alt.
kathiemarie 09:31 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
I know... wearing flop-flops, capris and t-shirts does get boring after awhile.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:34 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
I know... wearing flop-flops, capris and t-shirts does get boring after awhile.
But honestly, we lived in Phoenix and in winter we wore winter coats! I am sure that Michael has on a sweater at some point during the winter.
Sunchimes 11:48 AM 01-05-2014
I feel a little bit cheated. We are getting cold weather-it's going to be 19º F in the morning and 17º on Tuesday morning. It's been below freezing almost every night for weeks. But, we aren't getting any snow to make it fun. Really cold weather without at least a sprinkle of snow isn't any fun. We haven't even had 1 snowflake this year. We didn't have any last year either.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:08 PM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I feel a little bit cheated. We are getting cold weather-it's going to be 19º F in the morning and 17º on Tuesday morning. It's been below freezing almost every night for weeks. But, we aren't getting any snow to make it fun. Really cold weather without at least a sprinkle of snow isn't any fun. We haven't even had 1 snowflake this year. We didn't have any last year either.
Your temps are very similar to mine here in southern ohio! We do have some snow on the ground but too cold to go out in it. At least it looks pretty out the window!
Cradle2crayons 01:18 PM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Same here. Blah hard freeze warnings blah lah. And only because we have high humidity.
Happily_wed 01:52 PM 01-05-2014
We were stocked up-were. I have a fridge/freezer in the basement in addition to our main one and the freezers were pretty much stocked up and our main fridge had a lot of food. Then we had an ice storm the week of Christmas and lost power for 7 days. I had to throw everything out in both fridge/freezers!
We have a generator so hopefully if the power goes out we will be ok. We lost it in the wind storm last summer for 12 days. That was a nightmare! I was very thankful we had the generator to keep the fridge and freezers running. It would be painful on the pocketbook to lose everything!
Soccermom 02:53 PM 01-05-2014
Announcing a big ice storm here for us. Freezing rain Warning has been in place since this morning.

I love storms!!
melilley 02:59 PM 01-05-2014
All the schools around us are closed! I already had 2 parents call to see if I'm open ( I am). One mom doesn't even have to work , the other does.
BumbleBee 03:05 PM 01-05-2014
All the schools around us are closed! I already had 2 parents call to see if I'm open ( I am). One mom doesn't even have to work , the other does.
All of the school are closed over this way too. Not a single text, call-nothing. Guess I shall see who shows up in the morning! Lol
melilley 03:32 PM 01-05-2014
They even closed GM for 3rd shift here...that NEVER happens!
Sunshine74 04:16 PM 01-05-2014
Our weather is supposed to hit tomorrow afternoon/evening into Tues. I am not too worried though because it tends to just miss us and go about an hour south of where we are. I hope it does though because the cold with no snow is just useless.
Josiegirl 03:07 AM 01-06-2014
We had freezing rain overnight here. I looked out the front window and it didn't look so bad. Until I stepped on the front walk and it's nothing but a sheet of very thick ice. Two bucks of sand and half a bag of salt later and I think my driveway/walkway are walkable. Not sure if schools will be closed or just a 2 hour delay. Lots of back dirt roads for those buses to drive over, they can't be good at all. But I know I'll have extra kids. Most dcps come anyways because up in the north country here, it seems like everybody owns 4wd. Everyone but me.
melilley 06:53 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
All of the school are closed over this way too. Not a single text, call-nothing. Guess I shall see who shows up in the morning! Lol
Well, only 1 out of 4 made it today..I'm surprised!
BumbleBee 07:01 AM 01-06-2014
Well, only 1 out of 4 made it today..I'm surprised!
One family made it-they're the one family that's here no matter what though so *shrugs*

Everybody else called/texted this morning saying they weren't risking the roads and were staying home.
Maria2013 07:10 AM 01-06-2014
the youngest of the babies made it here before 7:00
the second baby is on his way....the older kids canceled
Maria2013 07:50 AM 01-06-2014
the youngest of the babies made it here before 7:00
the second baby is on his way....the older kids canceled
second baby never made it, I just got a call they got stuck on the road and are waiting for help, they wont be coming after all
melilley 08:02 AM 01-06-2014
One family made it-they're the one family that's here no matter what though so *shrugs*

Everybody else called/texted this morning saying they weren't risking the roads and were staying home.
My one that NEVER misses actually missed. She did tell me that she would have to tell her husband that she got stuck and couldn't make it and added that dcb was sick and cranky anyways-she didn't even try (I think she lies quite a bit)...
Maria2013 09:18 AM 01-06-2014
My one that NEVER misses actually missed. She did tell me that she would have to tell her husband that she got stuck and couldn't make it and added that dcb was sick and cranky anyways-she didn't even try (I think she lies quite a bit)...
it is very sad when you feel you need to lie to your own husband about this....wouldn't he feel better knowing his wife and kid were smart enough not to wanna chance it?
Maria2013 09:19 AM 01-06-2014
lol the way I worded that makes it sound like the kid actually had a choice
melilley 02:59 PM 01-06-2014
it is very sad when you feel you need to lie to your own husband about this....
I know, I don't know why she would have to lie to him! I caught her in a few lies, even one a few weeks ago. To make a long story short, dcb was getting sick here so I called her to give her a heads up. Dcb ended up getting really sick so I called mom's cell first and didn't get an answer, so I called her job and they said she went home because her youngest son was in the hospital (he was here with me!) so I called dcd and he said that dcm went home because the school closed down and to call her! There are a few more things to the story too!

I didn't out her to her job or dh, but sooo wanted to! So strange!
BumbleBee 03:48 PM 01-06-2014
And everything is closed tomorrow. Kids are happy!
melilley 03:49 PM 01-06-2014
And everything is closed tomorrow. Kids are happy!
I know! This is the longest holiday break ever for them!
MsLaura529 03:55 PM 01-06-2014
I had 3 out of 4 show up ... and ALL of their parents were home. But the kids still came :\ Then I had a late pick-up bc one mom was stuck sideways in their driveway, and dad was at a dr appt, another one ended up being here for the full day instead of half, because their one car is stuck in the garage and they can't even get in their own driveway, the other one was just complaining about all of the shoveling he had to do to leave and how cold it was when he came to pick up his kid ... could have avoided that had you just kept your kid home.
melilley 04:02 PM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I had 3 out of 4 show up ... and ALL of their parents were home. But the kids still came :\ Then I had a late pick-up bc one mom was stuck sideways in their driveway, and dad was at a dr appt, another one ended up being here for the full day instead of half, because their one car is stuck in the garage and they can't even get in their own driveway, the other one was just complaining about all of the shoveling he had to do to leave and how cold it was when he came to pick up his kid ... could have avoided that had you just kept your kid home.
I just don't get why parents would bring their kids out if they don't have to! My dd has been at my sister's since Sunday because I don't want to risk driving to go get her!
Unregistered 04:04 PM 01-06-2014
We're in the negs, but we're used to it so no crazy lines, but people still drive too fast....Semi got turned over yesterday due to the ice on the road...I made it 40 minutes away and didn't even slide, but I went very slow unlike the semi whose driver was injured! It's like people never learn....

Tips for not having frozen pipes. Keep a TRICKLE of water running in ALL of your faucets. and open all the cabinets so heat can get to the pipes, where possible (bathrooms) keep doors closed (only if there's a vent in there) and, keep heat at at least 60 degrees (65 is better!) . If your water pressure starts to act funny, turn off the water FAST! Even if you don't actually see or hear dripping. The most common time for burst pipes is at the THAW!
MsLaura529 04:05 PM 01-06-2014
I just don't get why parents would bring their kids out if they don't have to! My dd has been at my sister's since Sunday because I don't want to risk driving to go get her!
I know, right?!? The one who stayed home, her mom was working from home and she still kept her home, which I'm sure wasn't super easy. But it was safe, and smart, and WARM.

ANd they all said "see you tomorrow" after talking about how cold it is going to be in the morning (the same parents who are going to be home again tomorrow, too). Maybe my front door will be frozen shut
melilley 04:12 PM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I know, right?!? The one who stayed home, her mom was working from home and she still kept her home, which I'm sure wasn't super easy. But it was safe, and smart, and WARM.

ANd they all said "see you tomorrow" after talking about how cold it is going to be in the morning (the same parents who are going to be home again tomorrow, too). Maybe my front door will be frozen shut
Same here, all schools are closed and one dcm is a preschool teacher and is closed and dcb will be here! My road is still really bad.

I literally have ice on the inside of my storm door! Too bad I have a garage door and a side garage door too!
Tags:blizzard, snow
Reply Up