Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Snow Day Question
craftymissbeth 06:30 PM 02-03-2014
I'm in tears right now. DH always feels the need to argue with me about my policies.

We are expecting about 6" of snow tonight and it's my policy that if the schools close for weather then I do too. With pay... it's the ONLY time I require payment when I close.

I texted my families to give them a heads up to be prepared just in case the schools close since every school district within an hour of here has already closed. Ours always waits until the last minute.

One dcm said there's no way she or her husband can miss work tomorrow and they will need to bring their daughter. I didn't respond. Her daughter was sick with 102+ fevers twice this month. It's not my fault that either of them had to miss work nor is it any concern of mine that they have no back-up.

DH saw me roll my eyes at the text message so I explained it to him. He got really upset and said its unreasonable to close at all. My thoughts are that if anyone needed to pick up their child in an emergency that there's no guarantee they will be able to make it from work quickly and safely. Same goes for emergency personnel... will they be able to get here safely and quickly?

Anyway, now both dcm and dh have me questioning my policy

Should I just stay open?
craftymissbeth 06:49 PM 02-03-2014
I caved

I texted everyone and said "I will be open tomorrow. Everyone's pick-up times will stay the same".

Maybe I'll make some extra $$ if someone's late.
Cradle2crayons 07:00 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm in tears right now. DH always feels the need to argue with me about my policies.

We are expecting about 6" of snow tonight and it's my policy that if the schools close for weather then I do too. With pay... it's the ONLY time I require payment when I close.

I texted my families to give them a heads up to be prepared just in case the schools close since every school district within an hour of here has already closed. Ours always waits until the last minute.

One dcm said there's no way she or her husband can miss work tomorrow and they will need to bring their daughter. I didn't respond. Her daughter was sick with 102+ fevers twice this month. It's not my fault that either of them had to miss work nor is it any concern of mine that they have no back-up.

DH saw me roll my eyes at the text message so I explained it to him. He got really upset and said its unreasonable to close at all. My thoughts are that if anyone needed to pick up their child in an emergency that there's no guarantee they will be able to make it from work quickly and safely. Same goes for emergency personnel... will they be able to get here safely and quickly?

Anyway, now both dcm and dh have me questioning my policy

Should I just stay open?
My thoughts on caving on policies.... If you cave on one.... Are you willing to cave on others?? When parents start questioning all of your other policies are you willing to cave on those also??

Don't question your own policies... Especially those for safety... What happens if a kid has a seizure and an ambulance is delayed getting there due to road closures or can't get there... And the child dies due to delay of medical care?? Then what? You won't be getting a pat on the back for caving.... he parents will then say it was your fault for being open....

I know... Worst case scenario... And I'm not trying to be harsh... Just putting a different perspective on things....

craftymissbeth 07:04 PM 02-03-2014
You're completely right and that's the very reason the policy is there in the first place. She texted me and said "oh geez good I'm not sure what I would have done."

I said "this is the only time I'm going to do this. Please remember that all of my clients are required to have a backup plan in place"

Ugh, I feel worse for caving than I did about closing
Cradle2crayons 07:11 PM 02-03-2014
You're completely right and that's the very reason the policy is there in the first place. She texted me and said "oh geez good I'm not sure what I would have done."

I said "this is the only time I'm going to do this. Please remember that all of my clients are required to have a backup plan in place"

Ugh, I feel worse for caving than I did about closing
Don't feel bad... Just use this as a learning experience... I have learned so much just in the last few years... About this profession.... And people in general... As a pediatric nurse though so many horrible experiences come to mind that when it comes to daycare kids... I may be a little over the top safe sometimes. Not as much with my own kids.
jenn 07:13 PM 02-03-2014
I use the same policy. If our school district closes, I am closed.

In my area, the news has been predicting bad weather for Tuesday/Wednesday since last week. That should be plenty of time for the parents to figure something out. If they don't have back up care, that is just poor planning on their part.

I would make sure the parents understand that this is a one time rule bend, and that all future snow days they will be responsible for figuring something out.

Sorry you have to work tomorrow! Hopefully you can enjoy the snow a little!
Crazy8 07:30 PM 02-03-2014
I don't close for snow days. I don't have a commute so really don't see why I would need to close. Many parents still have to work in inclement weather. Every once in a while I just remind them to keep the safety of their children as their first priority and I also always remind them that my overtime rate should they not be able to get here to pick up would be a very scary sight!

But if it's in your policy that you close when the schools do the parents should have taken that into consideration when they signed on. I wouldn't have caved on a well communicated policy.
craftymissbeth 07:43 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
I use the same policy. If our school district closes, I am closed.

In my area, the news has been predicting bad weather for Tuesday/Wednesday since last week. That should be plenty of time for the parents to figure something out. If they don't have back up care, that is just poor planning on their part.

I would make sure the parents understand that this is a one time rule bend, and that all future snow days they will be responsible for figuring something out.

Sorry you have to work tomorrow! Hopefully you can enjoy the snow a little!
I think we're close to the same area, but not positive.

And you know you're right... they've been warning us for awhile now about the bad weather.
CraftyMom 08:45 PM 02-03-2014
Another safety issue is having to be sure your exits are free of snow and properly salted before the arrival of any children. Not worth it if someone slips and falls on your property. I know I have trouble getting out there that early to shovel and salt. Then once the kids are there even harder to get out and shovel. Some people wouldn't hesitate to sue either, not worth it. You have a good policy for a good reason.
Play Care 06:26 AM 02-04-2014
I am in the same boat as you - we are getting the storm early tomorrow and through the day. Both the morning and evening commute will be messy at best, and when the worst of the weather hits, no one will be able to get to my home...My policy is that I close in the event of a severe weather/State of Emergency, so not always when the schools have a snow day. DH does NOT understand why I am thinking of closing. It would affect two families, one of whom has work from home arrangements (and who probably would be working from home tomorrow) and the other who I guarantee will be late for pick up because of the weather and then be upset when I charge the late fee.

Unlike many providers, I DID have a HORRIBLE experience years ago during a Nor'Easter in which a child became violently ill and NO ONE could come get her. It was one of the WORST experiences of my day care career. For a while after that I closed at the drop of a snow flake
I did get over it to a degree and realize that most people don't get "snow days" and are expected to be to work. Part of this job is being reliable.

My criteria is simple (I think) 1. Will the child be able to be picked up in a TIMELY fashion in the event they become ill?
And 2. Will emergency vehicles be able to get to my home in the event of an injury/medical emergency?

Oh, and my DH is a teacher so if its bad out (and even if its not ) he WILL get a snow day (and then bitch and complain if the kids cry or are loud or annoying)
KDC 07:11 AM 02-04-2014
This is just MY opinion... no flames please

But, most of my clients are close and/or work from home. If I decided to close when the school districts close, there would be quite a few parents upset (and to make things worse, some of them are teachers and would have the day off anyway!)

But, I've seen and read people get really mad when the daycare closes and payment is expected for weather (especially those cold days, when really it didn't change my working conditions). This is a service business and sometimes we go the 'extra' mile and IT does pay off. The word of mouth is positive instead of negative. Everyone loves a day off with no kids, paid... but I think it might border on taking advantage of the families.

I think offering to take them for the day works in your favor. Yes, it may appear that your caving, but you are also helping someone that needs your help, which is a GOOD thing.
craftymissbeth 07:15 AM 02-04-2014
At 6:00 am there was only about a 1/2 inch on the ground and it wasn't snowing anymore, but the news has been saying for awhile now that the snow will be an all day/night thing.

First thing out of dcm's mouth at 6:15 was "I'm sorry, I know how badly you wanted to sleep in today" No, that is NOT why my policy is to close! Unfortunately, I was too shocked to respond.

She then said "I don't even know why everyone is freaking out about this. There's no reason for them to close the schools. The streets aren't even slick." do you not have access to a weather report? I responded with "it hasn't even started yet."

Then spewed this gem from dcm's mouth "well, if you feel like it gets too bad for me to pick her up later then I'll call my SIL. She works for the city and they closed the offices last night so she's off and available to pick her up early."

Are you not the one freaking out because you have no backup... when you really do?! I caved for this person and let this person's problems become my problems. I knew that decision would quickly bite me in the butt!

I know I'm heated right now but it's taking everything in my power not to term.
craftymissbeth 07:16 AM 02-04-2014
Oh I forgot to add that we now have about 3ish inches of snow and it's still coming down hard
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 02-04-2014
At 6:00 am there was only about a 1/2 inch on the ground and it wasn't snowing anymore, but the news has been saying for awhile now that the snow will be an all day/night thing.

First thing out of dcm's mouth at 6:15 was "I'm sorry, I know how badly you wanted to sleep in today" No, that is NOT why my policy is to close! Unfortunately, I was too shocked to respond.

She then said "I don't even know why everyone is freaking out about this. There's no reason for them to close the schools. The streets aren't even slick." do you not have access to a weather report? I responded with "it hasn't even started yet."

Then spewed this gem from dcm's mouth "well, if you feel like it gets too bad for me to pick her up later then I'll call my SIL. She works for the city and they closed the offices last night so she's off and available to pick her up early."

Are you not the one freaking out because you have no backup... when you really do?! I caved for this person and let this person's problems become my problems. I knew that decision would quickly bite me in the butt!

I know I'm heated right now but it's taking everything in my power not to term.
Oh I forgot to add that we now have about 3ish inches of snow and it's still coming down hard
Um, I am in MN and on the news this morning I heard the newscasters say that travel is NOT advised in your area.

Does your DCM NOT listen to ANY news?

FWIW~ I'd be flaming mad if I were you too! BOTH at this family for their stupidity and at your DH.

I value and respect my DH's input and advice but since I am the one actually doing the hands on work and interacting daily with the parents, I get the ultimate say.

He can have that right, when he does the other stuff too...

((((HUGS)))))..... just for dealing with families that have such little disregard for others.
craftymissbeth 07:37 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
This is just MY opinion... no flames please

But, most of my clients are close and/or work from home. If I decided to close when the school districts close, there would be quite a few parents upset (and to make things worse, some of them are teachers and would have the day off anyway!)

But, I've seen and read people get really mad when the daycare closes and payment is expected for weather (especially those cold days, when really it didn't change my working conditions). This is a service business and sometimes we go the 'extra' mile and IT does pay off. The word of mouth is positive instead of negative. Everyone loves a day off with no kids, paid... but I think it might border on taking advantage of the families.

I think offering to take them for the day works in your favor. Yes, it may appear that your caving, but you are also helping someone that needs your help, which is a GOOD thing.
Weather related closings and closings due to loss of utilities are the ONLY times I still charge. Any other time I close (holidays, vacations, etc.) are unpaid. Is it taking advantage for the majority of providers who close on holidays yet still charge?!
craftymissbeth 07:41 AM 02-04-2014
Ya know, I just realized that I paved the way for this crap to happen when dcg had a fever over 102 on two separate occasions and both times I let her come back after 24 hours instead of the 48 in my policy.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 02-04-2014
Ya know, I just realized that I paved the way for this crap to happen when dcg had a fever over 102 on two separate occasions and both times I let her come back after 24 hours instead of the 48 in my policy.
Don't beat yourself up. There is NO one right or wrong way in this business and as soon as you put a stop to one issue, another one appears.

You will always have families that push your buttons and try to squeeze just a little more out of you and in hindsight, you can always look back and see just where you went wrong, but it isn't so clear when you are living it day to day.

Sometimes, my strict factor is on high if I am feeling pulled by too many families at once and other times, I am feeling less pulled and allow a few things here and there to slide. It is human nature.

What I do though is try to always make sure parents understand that some rules are non-negotiable and others have a bit of "bend" but ONLY if the circumstances are right.

If you let this child come back after 24 hours verses your policy of 48, I would make sure the parent KNEW that I was lenient about that because it worked at that moment but they shouldn't expect it to always be that way.

Maybe with the snow and travel advisories, now would be a good time to draft a letter about your policies, why you have them and that families are expected to have reliable back up. Let them know that coercing or guilting you into staying open is not something you are going to allow on a regular basis.

If you have 5 families needing you on a bad weather day, it makes sense to stay open but if you only have one, it isn't cost effective so each snow fall or snow emergency will start out a closed day unless otherwise notified. However, that call is YOURS to make, not the parents.
KDC 08:14 AM 02-04-2014
Weather related closings and closings due to loss of utilities are the ONLY times I still charge. Any other time I close (holidays, vacations, etc.) are unpaid. Is it taking advantage for the majority of providers who close on holidays yet still charge?!
Most Holidays that are charged for are paid vacations for the parents as well. They are also scheduled a year in advance, leaving plenty of time for them to find a back-up if necessary. Again, this is coming from a parent perspective, but, if I'm paying daycare and they said they'd be open because I complained... I'm much rather use them then my SIL, who probably wants to spend her day off not watching my kids KWIM?

However, if it in your contract & she complained and played the poor me card, and I caved... only to find out she had a back-up anyway I would probably feel the same way as you.

I so get where you're coming from... I do not mean to make you feel you are wrong for your decision/feelings. My DH always adds his 2 cents especially when I don't want it Just trying to make it 'positive' instead of 'negative' so you would not feel so venomous towards this DCF... only because I've been there. I would LOVE to close for weather. During a major blizzard (nicknamed snowmageddon) a couple of years ago where the plow got stuck in my cul-de-sac, I still had a family literally park on a side street and hike a 1/2 a block in waist high snow to get to my house. Unless I as willing to go unpaid, I just put up with it. I never really thought about the emergency side of it though... something to think about for future storms.

Hope you get through this day! Good luck!
Naptime yet? 11:22 AM 02-04-2014
Crafty, I did the exact same thing, but by pick up time the roads were actually ok. What I told my dcps was, I would make exceptions to my being closed if schools were closed, but it would be based upon my terms. The one DCM who made a stink about my new policy is the one that can work from home. Go figure.

The weather is supposed to be yucky again tonight & then again this weekend. I just wish spring was here!
Jack Sprat 11:35 AM 02-04-2014
I had one mom try to get here at 6:00 this morning. She almost ended up in the ditch. I texted her last night asking her if she was going in at normal time. She said yes she had to make an effort. Well, that effort almost cost her. Then one left because of accident. His mother did say that she is glad I called because 1) roads are getting bad and she saw two cars in ditches in the space of 4 miles.

As far as charging I am going to let parents know they can use one of their 5 vacation/sick days or pay the full rate for the week.
Msdunny 12:45 PM 02-04-2014
FWIW - my policy is if schools are closed, I am closed. However, I do have a couple of teachers who have optional workdays if schools close due to bad weather. I only have 4 full-timers, so I MAY offer to let my teachers' kids come, but they know (especially after last week) to check with me first. I try to use my best judgement on road conditions.

Adding - last week, our school system closed in anticipation of snow that ended up not starting until that evening. So schools were closed with no bad weather. Neither of my teachers' kids came, because the moms were home. Fast forward to Friday - schools were closed for the fourth day in a row, and suddenly the teachers are BEGGING me to take their kids for the day;they just HAD to work! Now, supposedly every bad weather day is an optional workday, but that was much more important after they had been with their kids all week!
providerandmomof4 02:47 PM 02-04-2014
I am in KS as well....and I didn't close. I really think I should have. One dcd got stuck in my drive when he came to pick up and some neighbors came and helped dig him out. Took a while! "Think maybe you should've kept her home?! That's what he gets!" Sorry..I know I'm being snarky but MAN! I advised my other dcd to not park in the drive but I was seriously worried that I might get snowed in with these babies.....NOoooooooo!
Tags:snow, snow policy, weather policy
Reply Up