Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cabin Fever!!!!!
Christina72684 11:24 AM 02-11-2014
I HATE this weather!!!! If it was 30 degrees and snowy I'd be fine because we could go out and play. But when it's -11 degrees and school has a 2 hour delay, which means I get my after schoolers in the morning, I want to pull my hair out!!! I don't even like going out in the snow when it's warm enough because it takes 5x as long to bundle up to go out and take stuff off when we get back in than it does to actually be outside.

My weather app said next Thursday the 20th it's supposed to be 52 DEGREES!!! I know the weather people aren't always accurate, but fingers crossed on this one! lol

How do you handle not going out? We dance more and I allow them to run around in a big circle some, but I'm just waiting for someone to get hurt. Once the weather is nice enough I think we'll be outside more than in!
Jack Sprat 11:34 AM 02-11-2014
I am right there with you!! Its suppose to in the forties later in the week here. I am so excited!!!!!! The sun is suppose to shine the rest of the week as well.
Kabob 11:42 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I HATE this weather!!!! If it was 30 degrees and snowy I'd be fine because we could go out and play. But when it's -11 degrees and school has a 2 hour delay, which means I get my after schoolers in the morning, I want to pull my hair out!!! I don't even like going out in the snow when it's warm enough because it takes 5x as long to bundle up to go out and take stuff off when we get back in than it does to actually be outside.

My weather app said next Thursday the 20th it's supposed to be 52 DEGREES!!! I know the weather people aren't always accurate, but fingers crossed on this one! lol

How do you handle not going out? We dance more and I allow them to run around in a big circle some, but I'm just waiting for someone to get hurt. Once the weather is nice enough I think we'll be outside more than in!
If it were 52 degrees here then I'd be outside in my t shirt! We've had double digits below zero temps for so long that we haven't been outside much for errands....let alone to play. The second it is above zero I think it's a heat wave...it's 7 degrees outside right now and we were excited! Apparently there's been a gas shortage back in my home town so the cost to heat my parents' homes is around $600-$1000 a month with this cold weather from what I've been hearing. Wow.
Heidi 12:30 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I am right there with you!! Its suppose to in the forties later in the week here. I am so excited!!!!!! The sun is suppose to shine the rest of the week as well.
I'm thinking you're near me...
Heidi 12:37 PM 02-11-2014
So, today we filled some balloons I bought yesterday with colored water. My teen helped.

Then, the oldest 2dck's and I got all bundled up, and we took them outside and planted them around the yard. My teen stayed inside (and I went in and out as we made multiple trips with 2 balloons at a time. My babies were parked in their chairs with crackers.

TECHNICALLY, I not supposed to leave her "in charge", but she is CPR and shaken baby trained, plus, like I said, I was going in and out, so hopefully, we were ok. No way can I take the 3 babies out in this weather.

Once the balloons freeze, we are going to take off the balloon and have colored "glass" balls to decorate the yard.

We really spent a minimum amount of time actually outside, but we were so busy getting ready, filling the balloons, and talking about it that it took up a considerable chunk of time. Then, we filled out transport bins with snow, and brought that in for everyone to play with snow indoors.

Next project: Filling tupperware containers with colored water and freezing those outside to make bricks for an ice fort. My friend Tom did that one with his dck's and it's really cool!
craftymissbeth 12:44 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
So, today we filled some balloons I bought yesterday with colored water. My teen helped.

Then, the oldest 2dck's and I got all bundled up, and we took them outside and planted them around the yard. My teen stayed inside (and I went in and out as we made multiple trips with 2 balloons at a time. My babies were parked in their chairs with crackers.

TECHNICALLY, I not supposed to leave her "in charge", but she is CPR and shaken baby trained, plus, like I said, I was going in and out, so hopefully, we were ok. No way can I take the 3 babies out in this weather.

Once the balloons freeze, we are going to take off the balloon and have colored "glass" balls to decorate the yard.

We really spent a minimum amount of time actually outside, but we were so busy getting ready, filling the balloons, and talking about it that it took up a considerable chunk of time. Then, we filled out transport bins with snow, and brought that in for everyone to play with snow indoors.

Next project: Filling tupperware containers with colored water and freezing those outside to make bricks for an ice fort. My friend Tom did that one with his dck's and it's really cool!

Please tell me your friend is Teacher Tom. I love his childcare philosophy
Heidi 03:05 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Please tell me your friend is Teacher Tom. I love his childcare philosophy
.No...he's a teacher and he's named Tom, but he's a different Tom.
providerandmomof4 04:14 PM 02-11-2014
It is always this time of year that I start thinking that maybe daycare isnt for me. I dont transport ( dont have a vehicle that could hold all my dc kids) so I am trapped inside ALL day due to weather. I took a 3 mth old and it is way too cold out for him. I am going stir crazy! So are the kids....there are only so many dance parties we can have....my house is small and I usually use my outdoor space a lot but not this time of year. My kids and schedules are great but the kids just need some exercise!
Stepping 05:30 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I love the colored ice bricks idea, I think I'll try that one tomorrow!
Josiegirl 02:42 AM 02-12-2014
We've done the frozen balloon thing before, put them all right outside the front window. It was fun. Maybe I'll try to find some containers and freeze water with different things inside, then hang them up in a tree after we pop them out.

As far as active time inside, we've been doing lots of Simon Says, hide n seek, Head shoulders knees and Toes, plus dressing up and dancing. Games like walk like a duck crawl like a snake.

The sensory table keeps them busy for a good chunk of time too. Lately, it's been filled with rice, beans, and little plastic animals.
Tags:cabin fever, snow
Reply Up