Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Feel Terrible!
Kabob 06:58 AM 02-21-2014
So the one time I don't close due to bad weather I get a dcm super mad at me.

We got a lot of snow yesterday and the wind had been blowing it around all night. I told everyone to keep an eye on the roads as I might close due to bad conditions. Well the local schools didn't close and the main road stayed plowed and my road didn't look that bad.

So I didn't close last night since I felt bad closing more for weather than illness so far this year. I figured that I'd leave it up to the parents to decide since it didn't seem to be emergency conditions.

Well one family called to say they weren't going to try since their road wasn't plowed this morning. I checked the local schools and they finally closed at 7am...

My other dcm never called which was weird since she usually will cancel on her own if the weather is even slightly bad. However it was a half hour past her drop off time and she wasn't here. I was about to call to check on her to see if we had a miscommunication last night at pick up and then I spotted her walked with dcg through the snow down the road to my house.

She was mad. She said she got stuck when she tried to turn from the main road to my road because of a 4 ft drift (I couldn't see that from my house). Then she angrily said I should have called her to tell her they didn't plow my road yet. I apologized and said that I assumed she wasn't coming as other parents chose not to come because their road wasn't plowed and that I felt bad closing so I thought I'd let her make the decision this time since she made the decision not to come last few times. She said her road was plowed so she decided to come and said she expects me to call her next time.

So lesson learned...you can't trust parents to make the right decision because they don't know how bad it is on your road.
taylorw1210 07:11 AM 02-21-2014
Why would she attempt to drive through a 4 ft snow drift instead of turning around, calling you and saying she tried but wasn't able to make it?
TheGoodLife 07:14 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
Why would she attempt to drive through a 4 ft snow drift instead of turning around, calling you and saying she tried but wasn't able to make it?
That's what I was thinking, too.
Kabob 07:16 AM 02-21-2014
That's what I assumed she would do too if my road was that bad...I can't tell by looking because I am not driving in it and I can't see everything. The drift was a surprise for me...I said as much and she said she figured that since she came this far she mind as well walk...

At least I will never again feel bad for closing due to weather and she will never risk it again (hopefully).

I guess I feel stupid for not following my gut and making the decision for the parents like I usually do...hopefully someone will learn from my stupidity: close for bad weather even if you think your parents won't come!
mema 07:34 AM 02-21-2014
Ugh. How is the drift and her getting stuck your fault? If she is the one who chose to drive, she needs to pay attention. I hate when parents blame dc for things-closings, weather,sickness, etc. I didn't close but do have one family supposedly on the way. I did inform her my hill is not plowed and I haven't seen anyone drive past-including the city bus. We shall see.
melskids 07:38 AM 02-21-2014
I live 10 miles from town on a one lane dirt road on top of a mountain.

I am not a weather man nor a highway maintenance worker. It's not really my job to worry about anything past my driveway.

Getting here is their concern, and their call to make.

That's why I work from home.
LadyPearl 07:41 AM 02-21-2014
I wouldn't blame you for any of that if I was dcm. You're not in charge of plowing!
melilley 10:27 AM 02-21-2014
My question exactly!
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 02-21-2014

I clicked "reply" and then couldn't think of anything to type because I was laughing so hard about a grown woman being mad at someone else because SHE couldn't make a safety decision all by herself!

Kabob 10:32 AM 02-21-2014
Maybe once she has had all day to calm down she can explain herself? Eh. I'm just gonna smile and say "next time I'll close."
Kabob 10:34 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I clicked "reply" and then couldn't think of anything to type because I was laughing so hard about a grown woman being mad at someone else because SHE couldn't make a safety decision all by herself!

I think she was so embarrassed that she was angry...the guy that was trying to plow our road apparently got her out. I was taken by surprise since I honestly expected her to not even try that...but yeah...experiment failed!
KidGrind 11:15 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Ditto what BlackCat typed. However, I am not laughing. My face is contorted.
CraftyMom 11:23 AM 02-21-2014
Of all the things parents try to blame on daycare providers...now we are in charge of how much snow we get and plowing the roads!! Not to mention parents' stupidity and bad judgement!!!
babyluver21 11:23 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
So the one time I don't close due to bad weather I get a dcm super mad at me.

We got a lot of snow yesterday and the wind had been blowing it around all night. I told everyone to keep an eye on the roads as I might close due to bad conditions. Well the local schools didn't close and the main road stayed plowed and my road didn't look that bad.

So I didn't close last night since I felt bad closing more for weather than illness so far this year. I figured that I'd leave it up to the parents to decide since it didn't seem to be emergency conditions.

Well one family called to say they weren't going to try since their road wasn't plowed this morning. I checked the local schools and they finally closed at 7am...

My other dcm never called which was weird since she usually will cancel on her own if the weather is even slightly bad. However it was a half hour past her drop off time and she wasn't here. I was about to call to check on her to see if we had a miscommunication last night at pick up and then I spotted her walked with dcg through the snow down the road to my house.

She was mad. She said she got stuck when she tried to turn from the main road to my road because of a 4 ft drift (I couldn't see that from my house). Then she angrily said I should have called her to tell her they didn't plow my road yet. I apologized and said that I assumed she wasn't coming as other parents chose not to come because their road wasn't plowed and that I felt bad closing so I thought I'd let her make the decision this time since she made the decision not to come last few times. She said her road was plowed so she decided to come and said she expects me to call her next time.

So lesson learned...you can't trust parents to make the right decision because they don't know how bad it is on your road.
It's not your job to give her this kind of heads up. She's not an idiot, and could easily have stayed home, whether or not you were closed. Her getting angry at you becase SHE chose to go out and SHE didn't drive carefully enough NOT to get stuck , that's ALL on HER. Maybe I'm a little insensitive to that, because we don't close in CO and these parents always whine when the schools don't as if the fact the schools close or don't close ties their hands with whether or not they can make their own decisions. In fact, there is NO penalty on a questionable day if you keep your child home for safety reasons. (aka EXCUSED absence and not counting toward your attendance record)
CraftyMom 11:27 AM 02-21-2014
Wouldn't it be something if mom wasn't even working today?!
Kabob 11:35 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by babyluver21:
It's not your job to give her this kind of heads up. She's not an idiot, and could easily have stayed home, whether or not you were closed. Her getting angry at you becase SHE chose to go out and SHE didn't drive carefully enough NOT to get stuck , that's ALL on HER. Maybe I'm a little insensitive to that, because we don't close in CO and these parents always whine when the schools don't as if the fact the schools close or don't close ties their hands with whether or not they can make their own decisions. In fact, there is NO penalty on a questionable day if you keep your child home for safety reasons. (aka EXCUSED absence and not counting toward your attendance record)
Still. I feel stupid for letting her have the option to choose to put dcg through that. Poor dcg seemed very scared when she got here. I normally would've closed but figured I'd wait and see since the schools had not closed yet so I felt maybe I was overreacting. My bad there but yeah...when she saw the snow drift I don't know what possessed her to drive into it....usually she's the first to tell me she's staying home at the first sign of bad weather...never again will I give anyone the option of coming here in bad weather. Poor dcg...
cheerfuldom 01:17 PM 02-21-2014
The mom's reaction is completely rude and overreacting. You don't have anything to feel bad about. Just because you are open, does not mean that others do not have to use common sense in going to your house. I mean, just because a person can do something, doesn't mean they should. There is no way you can police families to use common sense so any acts of stupidity are not your fault.

Same scenario happened to me and a family tried to get here from a few blocks away and caused $1400 of damage to their car when they flew off the road. Not my problem. They should have stayed home! We live in the same neighborhood. Just because daycare is open, doesn't mean you have to go or have to try and kill yourself to get there. I didn't feel bad at all about it. Dad should have used common sense. I consider the $1400 stupid tax.
melskids 01:27 PM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
The mom's reaction is completely rude and overreacting. You don't have anything to feel bad about. Just because you are open, does not mean that others do not have to use common sense in going to your house. I mean, just because a person can do something, doesn't mean they should. There is no way you can police families to use common sense so any acts of stupidity are not your fault.

Same scenario happened to me and a family tried to get here from a few blocks away and caused $1400 of damage to their car when they flew off the road. Not my problem. They should have stayed home! We live in the same neighborhood. Just because daycare is open, doesn't mean you have to go or have to try and kill yourself to get there. I didn't feel bad at all about it. Dad should have used common sense. I consider the $1400 stupid tax.
Exactly. Walmart is open 24/7. Its not their problem if someone drives there in a snowstorm and wrecks their car. We're no different.
TwinKristi 01:32 PM 02-21-2014
This is the perfect example for someone who complains about you closing. You close and make the Jones Family mad, you don't close and the Smith Family is mad that they had to drive on an unplowed road and get stuck and walk. You can't please all of the people all of the time! I think this is a good lesson for ALL inclimate weather providers that deal with this. I know there's an old thread that was resurrected about snow closure and this truly is why! Employers need to understand this, parents need to understand this. There are too many people expected to be on the roads even when they're deemed unsafe and when schools, state offices, etc. close. If parents need to work, they need to find alternate care!
TwinKristi 01:36 PM 02-21-2014

All to make sure they didn't give you an extra $30-35 (whatever your daily rate is) you didn't really work for, right? That's like the dad who was planning on bringing DCG even though he didn't work Monday since they paid anyway... it would have cost him like half of what he pays me in gas to drive here and back twice anyway! Ugh! He didn't end up bringing her but blamed it on her being grumpy and spared me from her misery, like he's doing ME a favor!
Kabob 01:57 PM 02-21-2014
I consider the $1400 stupid tax.
You guys crack me up.

Well I still feel bad for dcg regardless and I should have removed my personal feelings from it and just closed. And hopefully she learned a lesson. Should I count on that? No. I'll still close in the future should this come up again.

But hey...hopefully current and future readers can learn from this mistake (hers and mine) and use this as an example when/if they need to close for weather.
racemom 01:59 PM 02-21-2014
I don't think you should feel bad at all. It is not your responsibility to decide if grown ups can get to your house or not. In fact I would put it all on them. Send out a notice that in the future you will be open even on snow days and it is their choice to try and make it or not. Because you work at home you have no way to know if the roads are passable.
TwinKristi 02:01 PM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
I don't think you should feel bad at all. It is not your responsibility to decide if grown ups can get to your house or not. In fact I would put it all on them. Send out a notice that in the future you will be open even on snow days and it is their choice to try and make it or not. Because you work at home you have no way to know if the roads are passable.
YES!!

I think you should write a "general letter" to all the families that in the future you will be closing for liability reasons and that unfortunately since you work from home, you have no way of knowing the road conditions or safety of the roads. She'll know it's pertaining to today's events even if you don't specify it's her. If it's even possible that the schools will close, you'll close. Maybe offer a 25-33-50% discount on those days or something IF you have complainers?
e.j. 12:58 PM 02-22-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Just another example of an adult who refuses to take responsibility for her own actions. Give me a break!

I remain open during storms because some parents are expected to be at work regardless of the weather. I also stay open because my contract states parents don't pay if I choose to close. To be honest, I can't afford to close everytime it snows. I expect parents to use their common sense. Their choice to drive out in a storm is independent of my decision to remain open.
Tags:closed from bad weather, snow, snow day, weather, weather policy
Reply Up