Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can A Man Open A Daycare Business Or Just Woman? What Do Yall Think, Please Help
mengo 10:58 PM 11-28-2015
can a man start a daycare business ? any infor & tips would help.
Michael 02:09 AM 11-29-2015
Why not? There are several on the forum. Here are some similar threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...male+providers
midaycare 08:59 AM 11-29-2015
We moved around a bit, but the first daycare DS was in was a male owned home daycare. By far, it was the best.

I have always preferred male care givers for DS when available. Boys need male direction, and in my experience teaching in elementary school, the male teachers always had more control over their classrooms and less discipline issues.

When my hubby subs for me (if I am sick, for example), I will ask him how the day went. "How was dcg? Did she throw her normal fit? Did they nap for you?" Hubby always says they were little angels. No fits, follows directions perfectly. When my woman sub comes in, it is a different story. They act crazy for her.

I'm really generalizing here, but there is a reason we generalize. I notice the same thing in DS's Taekwondo class. The male instructors have a very disciplined class, while the female instructors have to constantly dole out push ups because the students don't listen.

I personally like for DS to be both nurtured and disciplined, so for us, we insert males into DS's life wherever possible.

Reading my post through, I hope it wasn't offensive to women. We all know women secretly rule the world.
mengo 12:16 PM 11-29-2015
alright thank you for yall feedbacks. i am a male and was hoping to get into this business and was wondering if parents out there would think wrong of me because i am a man and wouldnt trust a man with their children . what do yall think ? any help would be very grateful
Unregistered 03:27 PM 11-29-2015
Originally Posted by mengo:
alright thank you for yall feedbacks. i am a male and was hoping to get into this business and was wondering if parents out there would think wrong of me because i am a man and wouldnt trust a man with their children . what do yall think ? any help would be very grateful
I think you will be in the minority and you will have parents who won't put their kids with you. They also discriminate based on race/ethnicity too so don't take it personally. It's unfortunate that statistically speaking it's men who sexually abuse children the most and it's unfortunate that some of them get into positions where they have access to kids in order to do that. It's just the way it is....so you can understand a hesitant parent.

Having said all that I would welcome a male provider for my children. I think we need way more men in these positions. I think it is very healthy for children to see men in caring roles and not always women. I had a few guys in my ECE graduating class and they were awesome with kids and were really passionate about their careers. I think you kind of have to be to choose it as a man for the aforementioned reasons.

Anyway good luck and don't let the naysayers sway you!
mengo 04:27 PM 11-29-2015
thank for your point of view , really helpful tips c:
Thriftylady 05:42 PM 11-29-2015
It can be done. I can think of one male caregiver who posts often on this forum. There will be some who won't use a man, but not everyone is like that. That being said, hubby is a truck driver and gone a lot. But today I had two DCG's and they love him. He was home and they enjoyed every second of it. The ask me all the time "When is Mr. George coming home again?".
mengo 10:23 PM 11-29-2015
^^ thank you for the help , now i feel more comfortable about this business c: i just love kids and wanted some people insights on the thoughts of a male caring for children, this was very helpful , thank you all
DaveA 04:03 AM 11-30-2015
Sorry I'm late to the party- stayed off the computer most of the weekend. First of all- welcome and good luck if you decide to pursue this field!

Short answer is Yes you can. I know of no jurisdiction that prohibits males from starting a daycare (home or center). The long practical answer is a bit more complex.

You will definitely be in the minority. The last stat I saw lists ECE as 90-95% female, but even that is high because it includes non-teacher center staff (comptrollers, cooks, janitors, etc). In home daycare it's even rarer: in my county I'm one of 3 guys who are the sole name on a home daycare license. When I started I was the only one, so our numbers have tripled If you choose centers, you quite likely will be the only guy there. Sometimes you might be the first guy man they've ever interviewed there. So that will make you a bit of a novelty.

The good news is by my (unscientific but experienced based) estimation 50-75% the people (parents and staff) will have no issues, 15-25% will be surprised or concerned but open minded enough to give you a real chance to show what you can do, and 10-15% will be opposed to you no matter what. The last group will drive you nuts every so often, but overall ECE has been good to me.

Going to make a stereotype here, but you will have a better time with the dads then them moms, especially single moms. Although the dads who are bothered by you will be REALLY opposed to you caring for their child, they are rarer. I've had maybe a dozen dads vocally against me caring for their child as opposed to far more moms who lost their minds when their child was assigned to my classroom. Remember when dealing with parents they often err on the side of overreacting, so I tend to cut parents a bit more slack. The downside is it will be a bit harder to attract new DCFs, but you will be able to really shine when you get families willing to "take a chance"

When dealing with other professionals I'm more combative. You will deal with some pretty stupid assumptions from idiots. Over the years I've had other teachers/ directors/ home daycare providers assume I was:
Gay or Trying to meet women
Pedophile
Inexperienced with kids regardless of years in the field.
Using ECE as a stepping stone to "real" teaching (as in a school)
Not nurturing or caring
Too big/ rough to be gentle with kids
Only wanting to work with older children
I tend to fight fire with fire when dealing with other professionals. I have a very snarky and sarcastic side, and coming at with a sexist point of view will get it in spades from me. You'll adopt your own method quickly. But really most professionals won't be a problem.

Regardless, all in all ECE can be a very fun (in a psychotically challengingly way) and rewarding field. If you stay interested and decide to pursue it good luck.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Regardless, all in all ECE can be a very fun (in a psychotically challengingly way) and rewarding field. If you stay interested and decide to pursue it good luck.

about choked on my coffee...

...it's not often I read such a "straight to the point" statement so early in the morning.
Annalee 06:59 AM 11-30-2015
There are lots of husband/wife teams with group child care homes here. These husbands are at many daycare trainings/workshops as well....to my knowledge, it works well for clientale.

BTW....I am having my nephew that is a Freshman in college fingerprinted so he can be a sub at my daycare. He is spending lots of his free time here so why not use his services?
mengo 10:32 AM 11-30-2015
Yes my finance will help me in the day care , but she will be working full time on her job and I will be full time daycare provider . I just wanted some insight in this business field as a man daycare . I don't want my gender to ruin this business and wanted some insights so thank you . I hope man can open daycare withouth being stereotyping for our gender. Will it effect the business just because I'm a man ? Will I lose more income and will this business even be profitable because I'm a male ?
DaveA 10:48 AM 11-30-2015
Will it effect the business just because I'm a man ? Will I lose more income and will this business even be profitable because I'm a male ?
It will a bit starting out, but not enough to be prohibitive. For the first couple years it took longer to fill spots because if I put my name on my ads I got fewer calls, and if I didn't I got hung up on a bunch. That being said, since I've gotten a good reputation in the area it hasn't been a problem.

As for income- No it shouldn't be a problem long term. My rates are on the high side of average for my area and it hasn't hurt me in the long run.
mengo 10:58 AM 11-30-2015
^^ are you also a male daycare business owner/provider ??
DaveA 11:01 AM 11-30-2015
^^ are you also a male daycare business owner/provider ??
Yes- 9 years home daycare, before that I was a teacher in various centers for years.
mengo 11:05 AM 11-30-2015
Do you have any tips I should worries about or any challenges I will face a male daycare ?? Any tips I should recommend taking it before starting in this business field so I will know or expect . Any tips or helpful will be greatly appreciated , thank you
DaveA 11:14 AM 11-30-2015
Don't know your college/ education level, but if you don't have some ECE hours I would take them (online or local community college). Rather than start out on your own if possible I would look into working for someone else (home or center either one) so you have a fair idea of what the job entails before you get to sink or swim stage.

Like I said- the 10-15% of people who will give you grief will be a PITA, but handling them is something you will pick up on pretty quick in your own style. Otherwise it's the same pressures any provider faces. It can be thankless, isolating, and long hours dealing with kids who at times will be like something out of the exorcist and parents who will leave you somewhere between cussing and shaking your head. But it also can be very rewarding, fun, and a good deal for your family.
mengo 11:26 AM 11-30-2015
Currently enrolled at a community college and majoring in business administration . but will take some ECE
Tags:daycare, male cargivers, male providers, men
Reply Up