Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those with Lots of Snow
midaycare 09:57 AM 01-12-2016
What do your have for outdoor activities in the winter? I don't drive, so we are stuck onsite. It's common too have at least 6 inches of snow on the ground, up to two feet at any one time. It's hard to walk in sometimes. For them, anyway
childcaremom 10:08 AM 01-12-2016
I love snow! I keep the deck shovelled so that littles have somewhere to go.

We shovel paths and make mazes. We build forts, snowmen. We build hills and toboggan. We paint in the snow. We have all our kitchen stuff out to make snow meals. We have buckets, shovels, trucks, etc.

Now last winter was interesting as our backyard had snow up to the fence, and in some instances, you couldn't see the fence. I could actually walk to all my neighbour's yards!

But generally, we are always out in the snow and have a blast.
rosieteddy 10:10 AM 01-12-2016
I had an awesome porch room(no heat).I put a playpen ,3 spring horses and some indoor riding toys.There was a rug in the middle and I taught them to ride around in a circle going the same direction.We even had old fashioned pull toys dogs with leashes...Everyone had coats gloves and shoes on.I even bought soft one piece snowsuits for infants and had a couple of walkers.It was good fun for them.I felt like they got some air and change of scenery.Often we would get ready at 5 pm every was picked up at 5;30 so they were set to go.I also had a 5 seat runabout stroller.I put most in it and at least got around the block 4 yr olds could walk.It is tough in the winter.
finsup 10:24 AM 01-12-2016
We use the driveway and snowbanks. Older kids get to play and climb the snowbanks, little ones play in the driveway with balls or other toys, or use the sandbox toys at the edge of the snowbanks. It's not perfect but it works well enough. Sometimes we'll try our playground but it is really tough for my almost 2 year old.
Play Care 10:32 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
We use the driveway and snowbanks. Older kids get to play and climb the snowbanks, little ones play in the driveway with balls or other toys, or use the sandbox toys at the edge of the snowbanks. It's not perfect but it works well enough. Sometimes we'll try our playground but it is really tough for my almost 2 year old.
Same here.
Thriftylady 10:37 AM 01-12-2016
Usually it seems if we get enough snow to play in here it is to cold to go out. Right now my kids have the shoebox sized tubs full of snow and are playing in and painting it. You would think I had invented cartoons or something.
midaycare 10:42 AM 01-12-2016
I like the idea of moving things to the driveway. The younger ones can walk around, the older ones will love the snow banks.

And painting snow?! I never would have thought of that!
Thriftylady 10:46 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I like the idea of moving things to the driveway. The younger ones can walk around, the older ones will love the snow banks.

I can't take credit. Stole it from someone on a facebook group. They are making a huge mess of the table, but they are having a ball. On a snow day when I am full up with mostly school aged kids, well any port in a storm I guess.

Messes clean up. Memories last forever I hope.
Puddleduck 10:47 AM 01-12-2016
We hibernate. I hate being cold and I make it clear during interviews that we spend a large portion of the winter inside and to compensate for that I make sure the kids get a lot of gross motor play during the day. I have a foamnasium, tunnels, slides, and an indoor swing that the kids love. We dance, do yoga, and play a lot of physical games so they're still getting tonnes of exercise!
childcaremom 10:57 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:

We've also done spray bottles filled with food colouring and water. Spray the snow. Voila! Easy and fun.
midaycare 01:39 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
We've also done spray bottles filled with food colouring and water. Spray the snow. Voila! Easy and fun.

Ariana 02:18 PM 01-12-2016
I have an outdoor playhouse and a bunch of plastic utensils and food for it. The kids occupy themselves quite a bit with this activity. I also went to the dollar store and picked up some snowball makers and igloo cube makers. I also mostly use sand toys on the snow.
284878 07:13 AM 01-13-2016
indoor snow.

Mix cornstarch with shaving cream. You can add color or sparkle. It should last for a week if kept covered. It is also cool to the touch.
Tags:snow
Reply Up