Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow is Melting
MomBoss 01:22 PM 03-19-2018
What do you guys do when the snow is melting and your yard is a swamp? Do you still take the kids outside?
Going on a walk is not an option.
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
What do you guys do when the snow is melting and your yard is a swamp? Do you still take the kids outside?
Going on a walk is not an option.
I let the kids play on the front deck for a few minutes at a time. Licensing doesn't expect us to take the kids outside every single day without using some form of common sense.

In MN playing outside is much more dependent on weather than many places so I don't think anyone would be in trouble for not bringing them out when it's nothing but wet outside. I'd fight that one endlessly if they tried to cite me for not bringing the kids out daily.

My biggest pet peeve in this particular area is those parents that have the least independent kids or the hardest to manage kids ask "Did you get outside today?"

It takes everything in me to not reply with "Don't YOU have outside at YOUR house too?! YOU take them out!"

My yard is a perfect mix of snow and water puddles too... those with winter boots are warm but wet and those with puddle boots on are cold and dry...
...and the prospect of taking an "organized" walk around the neighborhood isn't very appealing right now so we stayed in today.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:13 PM 03-19-2018
We are usually so excited for break-up that we make do the best we can. Just had the hard pack scraped off the driveway last week so that should melt and dry before the 3 feet of snow in the yard gets down to the mud. Lots of ride on toys and balls in the driveway. I've also been known to take the kids to play in the garage and just open the doors but stay inside.

It's snowing now, but things have been melting a bit for the past week.... and we are pumped!
MomBoss 02:15 PM 03-19-2018
I have parents like that! Thats why i asked. Same parents every day ask if we went outside. Im starting to think parents dont take their kids outside.
If its important to them, they should take their kids out. I watched my 1 yr olds fall into the puddles and swim its their parents who say i should be going outside its so nice. Well there ya go.. nice wet kid.
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I have parents like that! Thats why i asked. Same parents every day ask if we went outside. Im starting to think parents dont take their kids outside.
If its important to them, they should take their kids out. I watched my 1 yr olds fall into the puddles and swim its their parents who say i should be going outside its so nice. Well there ya go.. nice wet kid.
A wet kid in March is totally different than a wet kid in June.
storybookending 03:02 PM 03-19-2018
Last week I washed snow pants every single night. We are experiencing the melt as well. This is my first winter since putting up the privacy fence. I see now that the fence is also shading the yard causing a slower than last year melt. My neighbor right on the other side of the fence has almost no snow in his yard. I just have one area that is a giant puddle. I did my best to keep the kids out of it today which wasn’t hard as I have 3 on Mondays. Hopefully I can do the same when o have all 5 tomorrow.
MomBoss 03:50 PM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A wet kid in March is totally different than a wet kid in June.
Wet and muddy
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:52 PM 03-19-2018
I would love to have set of the Muddy Buddy suits for everyone, but it's not currently in the budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffo-Unisex-.../dp/B00AHQFFU2
LittleScholars 09:21 AM 03-20-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I would love to have set of the Muddy Buddy suits for everyone, but it's not currently in the budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffo-Unisex-.../dp/B00AHQFFU2
I sort of do this. Almost all of my kids bring rain pants. A lot of parents like the LL Bean ones, but they are pricey. The iplay ones on Amazon have held up super well and used to be $12. I have it on my recommended list. We go out a lot, and I do nottttt change clothes unless a disaster has happened (I tell parents we play hard and get messy and to always dress appropriately).
Tags:change of seasons, snow, spring
Reply Up