Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moms That Feel Like They Have To Tell You EVERY THING
cheerfuldom 02:38 PM 07-24-2012
I am doing temporary care for a one year old. Two weeks only and then possibly days here and there in the future. This mom has already been so.....communication-happy, shall we call it? Telling me every detail like I have never taken care of a child before or like his preferences or habits are that different from any other child. I have met him before, he is very average as far as skills and a tad spoiled, but nothing I cant handle. She tells me "oh, I wanted to tell you that he will fuss if his diaper is dirty" and its like yeah, of course if he is fussy, I will check the diaper first. I am a mother of 3, with YEARS in childcare for infants and toddlers. There is nothing she has told me that I wouldnt have known on day one.

His paperwork notes that he will scream during clothing changes, diaper changes, high chair, before and during nap.....this made me laugh. He is literally crying all day, LOL. No problem, we can handle that for a couple weeks, its only a few days each week. But it just made me laugh because its not like anything she is communicating is helping me do my job. Also noted that they dont tell him "no" but instead use an "ahh, ahh, ahh" sound.....another thing that made me laugh. Both sounds are telling him that you dont approval of his behavior so who cares if you use the word no when the intention of him stopping the behavior is the same for each sound? I'm not changing anything for a temporary kid. He will be just fine and probably better to be around someone that does tell him no. Also, to feed him every two hours and several bottles including one to get him to sleep....sounds like food is the go-to for distraction and comfort. I am not feeding a one year old five times each day!

She keeps popping up in emails and calls and has been the most high maintenance mom. He goes to daycare right now! its not like he is new to daycare. I am putting up with it because its only for a few weeks and they really are nice people, just need constant reassurance that yes, if he is crying, I will know to check his diaper....thanks for telling me that because now I know what I have been doing wrong for the past 15 years of taking care of infants
daycaremom76 03:18 PM 07-24-2012
omg I hate 1st time parents...........every infant I have had parents did the same thing. I had one Mom what wanted me to write down in timeline format everyday what time I gave him a bottle, when he napped and every time I changed his diaper. Since he was only 8wks old I did it for a month then stopped, I have 7 other kids so it was nuts trying to track all this everyday. The first day I missed it she complained non stop, the following day I gave her notice.
Hunni Bee 04:05 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am doing temporary care for a one year old. Two weeks only and then possibly days here and there in the future. This mom has already been so.....communication-happy, shall we call it? Telling me every detail like I have never taken care of a child before or like his preferences or habits are that different from any other child. I have met him before, he is very average as far as skills and a tad spoiled, but nothing I cant handle. She tells me "oh, I wanted to tell you that he will fuss if his diaper is dirty" and its like yeah, of course if he is fussy, I will check the diaper first. I am a mother of 3, with YEARS in childcare for infants and toddlers. There is nothing she has told me that I wouldnt have known on day one.

His paperwork notes that he will scream during clothing changes, diaper changes, high chair, before and during nap.....this made me laugh. He is literally crying all day, LOL. No problem, we can handle that for a couple weeks, its only a few days each week. But it just made me laugh because its not like anything she is communicating is helping me do my job. Also noted that they dont tell him "no" but instead use an "ahh, ahh, ahh" sound.....another thing that made me laugh. Both sounds are telling him that you dont approval of his behavior so who cares if you use the word no when the intention of him stopping the behavior is the same for each sound? I'm not changing anything for a temporary kid. He will be just fine and probably better to be around someone that does tell him no. Also, to feed him every two hours and several bottles including one to get him to sleep....sounds like food is the go-to for distraction and comfort. I am not feeding a one year old five times each day!

She keeps popping up in emails and calls and has been the most high maintenance mom. He goes to daycare right now! its not like he is new to daycare. I am putting up with it because its only for a few weeks and they really are nice people, just need constant reassurance that yes, if he is crying, I will know to check his diaper....thanks for telling me that because now I know what I have been doing wrong for the past 15 years of taking care of infants
Geez he's not one MONTH old...so does he have all these "issues" at your house? Or only with Mom?
daycarediva 04:12 PM 07-24-2012
Oh goodness! I provide daily sheets that detail what they ate for each meal, when they were changed, etc. but beyond that I don't ask for parent contributions. I think it is important for the child to get to know YOU and your way of doing things. No, I don't do it just like Mom. I'm not your Mom! That's what I have always said to the helicoper parents.

I'm not one to talk though, I have a 16 mo whose mother stays for nearly 30 minutes (or more) at drop off and pick ups. Drives me batty. I want to say "I'm working lady!"
cheerfuldom 05:29 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycaremom76:
omg I hate 1st time parents...........every infant I have had parents did the same thing. I had one Mom what wanted me to write down in timeline format everyday what time I gave him a bottle, when he napped and every time I changed his diaper. Since he was only 8wks old I did it for a month then stopped, I have 7 other kids so it was nuts trying to track all this everyday. The first day I missed it she complained non stop, the following day I gave her notice.
I do daily sheets for infants but not for longer than a few weeks. But its a general report....like how many total wet diapers, not what time each was changed.
cheerfuldom 05:30 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Geez he's not one MONTH old...so does he have all these "issues" at your house? Or only with Mom?
I havent actually watched him yet, its in July. But I would bet that he is just like every other toddler out there.....he will cool it with a little consistency and boundaries.
cheerfuldom 05:33 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Oh goodness! I provide daily sheets that detail what they ate for each meal, when they were changed, etc. but beyond that I don't ask for parent contributions. I think it is important for the child to get to know YOU and your way of doing things. No, I don't do it just like Mom. I'm not your Mom! That's what I have always said to the helicoper parents.

I'm not one to talk though, I have a 16 mo whose mother stays for nearly 30 minutes (or more) at drop off and pick ups. Drives me batty. I want to say "I'm working lady!"
Oh I dont let parents stay....if I do, its for the first day only. This mom wanted to do several play dates and partial dates where she stayed.....but he is a temporary kid that is only going to be here for 6 days total! There was just as many "prep" days that she wanted as there were actual daycare days! I told her one half day where she did not stay was my compromise. After that, he just comes and does the regular program and either they take it or leave it.
Reply Up