Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Are Day Care Centers Still Attracting College Educated Workers?
akurtz 11:49 AM 04-16-2013
Hello everyone,
I'm working on an article about childcare workers for CNN, and I'm looking for young college-educated women in the field to comment about their job.

Why were you attracted to this field?

If you're willing to share your story, please send me a message on here or email me at annalyn.kurtz@turner.com

Thank you,

Annalyn Kurtz
Heidi 02:45 PM 04-16-2013
I'm sure you'll get quite a variety of feedback. Many states having started Quality Improvement Programs that weigh teacher education heavily (Wisconsin is one). They do not give much credit for experience or informal training (CEU's).

So, many of us who've been in this field for 15-30 years and have spent countless hours at conferences and workshops, some of whom have taught classes, are now being told we are not high-quality programs, and can't be unless we get our degrees.

In the meantime, wages and state reimbursement rates for state-assisted care continue to be low.

Attracting college-educated teachers to center-based programs in rural areas is especially challenging. When wages are barely above minimum wage with few benefits, and colleges are 50 or more miles away, it's pretty challenging for my center-director friends to attract college educated candidates. \

As for me, I've recently returned to school and am almost done with my Associate's Degree in Early Childhood. It's been a challenge I've enjoyed, and it's been possible because I received T.E.A.C.H scholarships from WECA and because I already had all my "generals" done. But, I'm 48 years old, and I will not pursue a bachelor's degree. I'm a family childcare provider, btw.

I guess I won't email you now, since I've already told you everything! PM me if you'd like any more information. Here are some links that you may find helpful.

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/youngstar/providers.htm

http://wisconsinearlychildhood.org/programs/teach/
Unregistered 12:56 PM 04-19-2013
Thanks Heidi for your note. Actually, would you mind sending me an email so we can talk offline?

Thanks
Reply Up