Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Workers Comp in Illinois
Stepping 12:17 PM 08-20-2013
Hello, this is my first posting but I've been reading the threads for a little while and always find some helpful advice.

I'm trying to get workers comp coverage for a home daycare in Illinois and have had no luck. Tried several companies but no one offers coverage for home daycares.

Please let me know if you have workers comp coverage and which company you used. TIA
Michael 12:48 PM 08-20-2013
Welcome to the forum!
Gellybean6903 07:51 AM 12-15-2013
I'm bummed no one has replied to this. We were wondering the same...
Gellybean6903 07:52 AM 12-15-2013
Did you ever get someone to cover you??
sahm1225 12:46 PM 12-15-2013
If you call local insurance agents, they can usually shop around for you.
Stepping 08:18 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Gellybean6903:
Did you ever get someone to cover you??
I did find a local agent who arranged insurance through liberty mutual.
Gellybean6903 01:27 PM 01-09-2014
Well...after wayyyy too many phone calls Liberty Mutual seems to be one of the few that'll cover us. I'm not entirely thrilled about the price though...who knew daycare was so 'dangerous'
itlw8 01:40 PM 01-09-2014
I am curious would you share the cost?

after you pay workmans comp, unemployment ins and the SS taxes for the employee is it still worth it to hire someone ?
Stepping 11:04 AM 01-10-2014
I have two part time employees and the base rate workers comp was approx $1000. They then charge another fee at the end of the year depending on your total salary costs. I'm not really sure how it works to be honest

If you can manage without an assistant, I would. Now that I'm doing taxes and totaling up the cost, wages, ss, taxes etc are a huge expense.
MCC 11:51 AM 01-10-2014
I have a policy through Alfac for workers comp, and also for short term disability for me. I was able to work out a deal with the agent that if I paid for at least 3 types of plans, she would do short term for me.

Since this is our main income, I want to know I would have income if I got injured or something.

I'm paying $56/ month for workers comp for 2 employees, short term dis. for myself, and I had to buy dental from her as well, which is an extra $12/month. That was part of the deal. It is expensive, but gives me so much piece of mind.

You might have to talk to your attorney/state laws about what you are required to have though, in VA I do not have to have workers comp b/c I have less than 50 employees, I only have to have them on my liability insurance to be able to pay medical expensive, not loss income.
sahm1225 04:52 PM 01-10-2014
@ stepping - my insurance lady said you could possibly get a refund of your premiums at the end of the year since the employee wages would be so low. Is that true?
In Illinois there is a minimum annual
Cost of $1000, even if our employee only works summers! It's crazt. AND they wonder why employers are leaving illinois.
Stepping 04:49 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
@ stepping - my insurance lady said you could possibly get a refund of your premiums at the end of the year since the employee wages would be so low. Is that true?
In Illinois there is a minimum annual
Cost of $1000, even if our employee only works summers! It's crazt. AND they wonder why employers are leaving illinois.
No, he didn't mention that but I'll be sure to bring it up! Thanks for the info
Tags:home daycare, illinois, insurance, workers comp
Reply Up